Should Madonna make an authentic documentary about her life instead of biopic?

Bloodflowers.

I was recently watching life and career of Tina Turner because her passing away affected me and I wanted to learn and discover more about her. I watched her HBO Max documentary "Tina" as well as her biopic film "What's Love Got To Do With It" on Disney+ and it made me realize how much I prefer watching Tina sit down and talk about her experience growing up and about her life and career rather than dramatization off it.

I also loved watching the recent Janet Jackson miniseries documentary and Wham! documentary and I thought to myself why doesn't Madonna do the same and sell her documentary to a streaming service?

She could release 10 episodes with each being 2 hours long and discuss everything... from her childhood and how loss of her mother affected her to growing up to early stages of her career and getting into the business. Everything. 

I want to see her watch her performances such as Live Aid 1985 and explain everything what went through her mind and her thoughts on it today.

Reacting to each era and giving her thoughts and her thinking process and life around the time. Talk about her abuse marriage to Sean Penn, her date and friendship with Michael Jackson. Other celebrities, etc.

It would be her. Authentic, from her own words. Why not make it happen?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

biopic is more iconic

• Like 1

I think I’d prefer it too but that’s not “artistic” enough to inspire her probably. She was never the type of person to look back at her career and reminisce. 

• Like 2

No we need the biopic for a massive boost to her streaming catalog but she is insufferable when it comes to her own art and her own legacy and can't ever give up control on literally anything so it's never happening. I love Madge but that biopic was dead on arrival. She needs to be involved in every single aspect of it and can't just let it go to a good A-list Hollywood writer, producer and director team.

4 minutes ago, Love Again said:

No we need the biopic for a massive boost to her streaming catalog but she is insufferable when it comes to her own art and her own legacy and can't ever give up control on literally anything so it's never happening. I love Madge but that biopic was dead on arrival. She needs to be involved in every single aspect of it and can't just let it go to a good A-list Hollywood writer, producer and director team.

It’s crazy that she thinks she can direct such an ambitious project. W.E was so over-directed and so overtly polished my mind almost vomited watching it. She can’t ruin this. 

She already wrote the script (I think she’s alright at that) and she can executive produce. Maybe even direct some highlight scenes where she believes her input is most important. But the entire movie? She’s a control freak to a fault. 

1 minute ago, Jjang said:

It’s crazy that she thinks she can direct such an ambitious project. W.E was so over-directed and so overtly polished my mind almost vomited watching it. She can’t ruin this. 

She already wrote the script (I think she’s alright at that) and she can executive produce. Maybe even direct some highlight scenes where she believes her input is most important. But the entire movie? She’s a control freak to a fault. 

She should have been an advisor to the project and indeed, give some input on scenes she felt like were truly important. BUT NOT THE WHOLE THING. That never works, it's a literal conflict of interest. She isn't made to direct big, blockbuster Hollywood movies like the Elvis or Queen biopic. I get that it's her life but Hollywood movies aren't meant to be a 100 % accurate, they're meant to be entertaining and captivating to audiences

• Like 1

I agree with you. Madonna's career is simply too large and legendary to be condensed into a 2 hour movie and be given justice. If she wants to do a biopic she should go down the route of what they did with RBG in On the Basis of Sex and only highlight a specific part of her career, but ngl the movie was kinda unsatisfying cause I expected her whole life to be covered.

Netflix is right there. Do a documentary miniseries, let the public appreciate her for who she really is and then maybe follow up with a biopic 5 years later

• Thanks 1

book (big one) > docu series > biopic

this is the only acceptable run.

Documentary series or 10 episodes series biopic (still with Julia Garner) would be the perfect way to cover all her career.

A 2:30 hours movie would be too frustrating and will miss a lot of her iconic moments.

There are a lot of documentaries about her

Documentaries basically are only for fans. A movie has the potential to became a classic even biggest than the star it's about, something everyone will see. If Spielberg would made a biopic about her it becames a movie will stay cause it's on spileberg filmography. Everyone loves cinema will see it even if they don't care specifically about Madonna cause it's cinema they care about.....

So it's a very different thing. A documentary has not the potential to became iconic and something impacting pop culture for years like a movie. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

also it's reductive to see an artist has "a sequence of what he-she did"

if you just want that of course a documentaries (only appealing to fans) is better. With a movie you can analyze what a pop icon was- is, the meaning of what he did, even without the need to show everything. A movie is art and the potential of the use the image and the sound in infinite, you can absolutely make a perfect 2 hours movie make people don't know Madonna knowing her essence. 

• Like 1

Biopic , i dont like sit down documentories 

Edited by DonnaSpring
Spelling mistake

44 minutes ago, shyboi said:

Is there demand tho? I think a cute Netflix Documentary would be enough

If Tina and Janet did it i'm sure there's demand for the biggest and most successful female act in history yes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tiagol88 said:

If Tina and Janet did it i'm sure there's demand for the biggest and most successful female act in history yes.

If she's going to finish that movie she better go all in, create a visual masterpiece and not only a generic biopic. Something like BLONDE would be amazing, visual, risqué, full of music, experimental

Madonna: A Popstar Odyssey 

• Like 1

There's already hundreds of documentaries about Madonna. This was made by a fan and it's probably better than anything her team could come up with.

The most iconic woman in the history of popular music deserves a big, glossy Hollywood blockbuster directed by an acclaimed filmaker, not an obscure documentary only hardcore fans will care about.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Bloodflowers. said:

I was recently watching life and career of Tina Turner because her passing away affected me and I wanted to learn and discover more about her. I watched her HBO Max documentary "Tina" as well as her biopic film "What's Love Got To Do With It" on Disney+ and it made me realize how much I prefer watching Tina sit down and talk about her experience growing up and about her life and career rather than dramatization off it.

I also loved watching the recent Janet Jackson miniseries documentary and Wham! documentary and I thought to myself why doesn't Madonna do the same and sell her documentary to a streaming service?

She could release 10 episodes with each being 2 hours long and discuss everything... from her childhood and how loss of her mother affected her to growing up to early stages of her career and getting into the business. Everything. 

I want to see her watch her performances such as Live Aid 1985 and explain everything what went through her mind and her thoughts on it today.

Reacting to each era and giving her thoughts and her thinking process and life around the time. Talk about her abuse marriage to Sean Penn, her date and friendship with Michael Jackson. Other celebrities, etc.

It would be her. Authentic, from her own words. Why not make it happen?

This would be a cute companion to the actual biopic :thing:

2 hours ago, Mordecai said:

Do a documentary miniseries, let the public appreciate her for who she really is and then maybe follow up with a biopic 5 years later

Ooh, this is a cute concept 

Doing a majorly promoted documentary now and then an eventual biopic down the road (without her hands on it) would be the best route imo 

Honestly, yeah, I think an honest documentary would be cool AF, and would probably net an Oscar nom if handled well. If I was her, a doc would be my choice, then make the movie. 

I would love that but that ain't ever happening lol

also how and why the hell is 'What's Love Got To Do With It' on Disney+?? Is it edited?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.