With Huawei Mate60, China celebrates tech advances as the US focuses on new fears

Communion

Edited by Communion

iPhone better 

49 minutes ago, Hurem said:

Congrats to China but Huawei is still such a lame phone :rip:

you don’t get it do you?

Cameltoe Chariot
26 minutes ago, gatito said:

you don’t get it do you?

Ma'am... you don't get it. Huawei sucks lol :sistrens:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Hope they also enjoy them random pop up ads on their phones cos that's what happen to chinese phones :lakitu:

nawt the espionage phone being spun into a good thing by anti-us interests:ahh:

Chinese tech firms pulled a very similar stunt to this with "their own desktop architecture" recently that was proven to be rebranded Intel chips that were similarly on an out of date process node.

Edited by Century
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

What even is this thread title? :deadvision:
Huawei made a 5G phone under US sanctions?  Congrats to them, they can join the other 50 Chinese tech companies that violate US patent laws and are not allowed to be sold in the US.  The fact that it took over 7 years to finally make an in-house 5G modem is not anything to celebrate despite what these articles say.  Samsung, for example, has been doing this forever AND was able to do so by licensing US patents, something Chinese companies continue to avoid.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Cameltoe Chariot
1 minute ago, Archetype said:

Huawei made a 5G phone under US sanctions?  Congrats to them, they can join the other 50 Chinese tech companies that violate US patent laws and are not allowed to be sold in the US.  The fact that it took over 7 years to finally make an in-house 5G modem is not anything to celebrate despite what these articles say.  Samsung, for example, has been doing this forever AND was able to do so by licensing US patents, something Chinese companies continue to avoid.

oof the telecommunication drags are on point tonight

giphy.gif

The US apologists in here fuming because China's economy will overtake the US' in under 5 years despite these embarrassing sanctions, a kii a cackle. 

Vitaly

• Like 1

This is China right now meanwhile their economy is dying and young generation is having a major jobs crisis right now. 
spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Archetype said:

You don't get it either. They didn't just make a 5G modem. They made a whole new mobile chip. The only two manufacturers that make mobile chips are TMSC and Samsung. And Samsung even is behind TMSC with its manufacturing processes. Huawei's HiSilicon used to get chips from TMSC (just like Snapdragon and Apple) to design their processors, but the US sanctions have pushed China to invest in their own SMIC chip manufacturer which could pose a serious competition to the other two if the chip proves to be comparable to TMSC's. And, of course, China's economic independence.

17 minutes ago, iknowplaces said:

You don't get it either. They didn't just make a 5G modem. They made a whole new mobile chip. The only two manufacturers that make mobile chips are TMSC and Samsung. And Samsung even is behind TMSC with its manufacturing processes. Huawei's HiSilicon used to get chips from TMSC (just like Snapdragon and Apple) to design their processors, but the US sanctions have pushed China to invest in their own SMIC chip manufacturer which could pose a serious competition to the other two if the chip proves to be comparable to TMSC's. And, of course, China's economic independence.

Ah okay, that should probably be explained in the first sentence of the OP’s (who doesn’t know much about technology) lazy post considering that’s the entire point.  

Correct me if I’m wrong, but is this the first complete mobile chipset to not use TMSC (or Intel but RIP to that)?  Good for them if so!  I’ll be looking out for a performance analysis once it hits the market to see where they stand overall.

Edited by Archetype
  • Thumbs Down 2

Mods when will you finally ban Communion? :deadbanana2: All of their posts are literally propaganda and it has been going on for years

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

39 minutes ago, AbeHicks said:

Mods when will you finally ban Communion? :deadbanana2: All of their posts are literally propaganda and it has been going on for years

"Propaganda is repeating facts as reported by infamous Chinese mouthpiece *checks notes* the Washington Post."

1 hour ago, Archetype said:

Ah okay, that should probably be explained in the first sentence of the OP’s (who doesn’t know much about technology) lazy post considering that’s the entire point.  

Correct me if I’m wrong, but is this the first complete mobile chipset to not use TMSC (or Intel but RIP to that)?  Good for them if so!  I’ll be looking out for a performance analysis once it hits the market to see where they stand overall.

This thread is in Civics. Not The Lounge. The lede is not the technological advancement - your refusal to open up a link to read the article to learn more is not me being "technologically misinformed" - but what such events will mean for geopolitics and further economic relations between America and China.

Which is why the article in the OP details reports of US voices reacting to whether the next move is to amplify such sanctions further or restrategize away from sanctions that seem to be backfiring. 

Now, if you're not interested in that geopolitical aspect, that's totally fair, but then I don't know why you're perusing threads in Civics. You could easily argue over what model phone is better in The Lounge if politics bores you.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AMIT said:

The US apologists in here fuming because China's economy will overtake the US' in under 5 years despite these embarrassing sanctions, a kii a cackle. 

Vitaly

This has been said for decades.

and just like with the American dollar… we will still be here, the beacon of light :lmao:

Basically, yes. TMSC kinda has the monopoly on mobile chipsets atm, with Samsung trying hard to catch up.

This chipset from China would be SMIC's first mobile chip with 7nm manufacturing process and 5G; their  previous chips were 28 and 40nm, so that's a huge leap. 

TMSC's at 3nm so they're still behind, of course, but a 7nm 5G mobile processor is still quite good on paper. We'll see how it actually compares irl tho since we had situations where Samsung's chips with the same #nm as TMSC ones performed worse and heated up faster. Qualcomm x TMSC will remain unbother for many years imo. 

Edited by iknowplaces

Intel doesn't make mobile chips. It's either Qualcomm or TMSC. And no. This is not the first complete mobile chip not produced by one of the companies above. But it's one of the firsts. If China is capable of mass producing mobile chips just as powerful as Qualcomm and TMSC, they will be completely independent from those companies. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.