Miley Cyrus reveals she didn’t make any money off The Bangerz Tour in 2014

Kayseri Mantisi

Yeah, I'm also a little skeptical of this... if she really blew all that she made on that tour, then it's not a reflection or her artistic integrity any more than it's a reflection of some poor financial habits :skull: 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrokenMachine

• Walk_Away21

• Liafen

• Onyxmage

3 minutes ago, Cain said:

I hope you know most of the cost of props doesn’t go into buying/making them, but into transporting them city to city

More/big props = more loss on transportation. I don’t think she’s lying 

But it's not like she had to transport a lot. The stage was ridiculously small. :skull:

homegirl sits down for one 30m interview and has some of y'all twisted for a literal month after the fact

it's not her fault her team and the press are ringing the interview out for every last headline, you know damn well she has nothing to do with it and is off joining a cult or writing music

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Temporal said:

Yeah, I'm also a little skeptical of this... if she really blew all that she made on that tour, then it's not a reflection or her artistic integrity any more than it's a reflection of some poor financial habits :skull: 

It's perfectly possible for an artist to lose money on an tour. The main cause would be promoters overestimating the demand which results in the cost of the tour being greater than the ticket sales.

A high percentage of the Bangerz never got their box scores reported which is a sign of low attendance. Similary, they reported several dates that weren't sold out.

Most damming, her 2009 tour had a similar gross with twenty less dates. Her Hannah Montana tour also outgrossed the Bangerz tour.  Her promoters likely assumed that her touring demand would increase instead of decrease with Bangerz hits. But instead the demand slightly decreased while her touring costs increased likely due to increased staffing.

However, this isn't a diss on Miley but a reminder that tours are businesses that need to control their costs.  There is a reason why some locations get skipped on tours and that's most always because those locations aren't expected to be profitable. When promoters mess up their estimates or cost controls, artists can tour for months and end up losing money instead.

• Like 2

This is actually a perfect example of how businesses work. They spent millions building up the brand in the hopes that they will get brand loyalty and return customers. I remember Gaga saying something about going bankrupt 4 times during her early fame days because everything  she did was so expensive but it was what she wanted to do and it actually paid off. No risk no reward. We love strong women. :clap3:

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Temporal said:

Is this a joke? Things cost money. She also had to pay her set crew/security etc and she had a lot of international shows. I dont think you understand how expensive that is. She wasnt making hundreds of millions on her tour. The fact that she went all out like she was an  established MPG and gave full set instead of a little theater show is actually very commendable. :clap3:

• Like 1

Maybe that’s why she refuse to tour, this was her last real global / Big tour 

Also I remember how she did a cheap version of this tour for Latin America & Australia dates 

She's not lying. Sometimes, we assume all tours are profitable, but they're not.

Shakira had this problem with her first tour "Tour Of The Moongose". The production stage, with its different themes-sections, fashion, props, and fire effects,laser lights was really expensive.  She earned a reputation as a performer worldwide, but the money she made from it was very low even if it was a success audience wise.

So, she opted for a simpler tour for her next era, 'Oral Fixation tour,' with some screen projections and minimalistic

She cried when she saw how much money she made from it. It was a total success. This was leaked on legal documents.

I wonder if Katy Perry Witness tour was a failure like the Bangerz tour
The tour looked very expensive and it was not totally sold out and the attendance was not that huge too. 
katy-perry-witness-tour-2017-billboard-1548-1.jpg

Edited by AvadaKedavra
  • Like 1

In this video Rina explains the risks of the touring industry very well, had she missed one show because she was sick she already would’ve made a loss on the overall tour

Lorde has also send and email about the touring industry. Unless you’re a huge huge player (idk Miley could’ve been classified as such in 2013 yet) it’s a very risky operation that doesn’t guarantee big profit

• Like 1

No wonder she hates touring. I mean, touring seems awful from an artist/singer standpoint ngl.

now i understand why she doesn't like touring :fan:

Madonna said she didn’t make money from the Madame X tour so I believe her

So was she giving away tickets for free or what? I find it hard to believe those cardboards pieces were that expensive :redface:

i find it hard to see Miley as genuine sometimes.

she’s like that one friend who always has a more difficult life story than yours, some way, some how. :redface:

Edited by Bad_vocal_technique

53 minutes ago, AvadaKedavra said:

She's not lying. Sometimes, we assume all tours are profitable, but they're not.

Shakira had this problem with her first tour "Tour Of The Moongose". The production stage, with its different themes-sections, fashion, props, and fire effects,laser lights was really expensive.  She earned a reputation as a performer worldwide, but the money she made from it was very low even if it was a success audience wise.

So, she opted for a simpler tour for her next era, 'Oral Fixation tour,' with some screen projections and minimalistic

She cried when she saw how much money she made from it. It was a total success. This was leaked on legal documents.

I wonder if Katy Perry Witness tour was a failure like the Bangerz tour
The tour looked very expensive and it was not totally sold out and the attendance was not that huge too. 
katy-perry-witness-tour-2017-billboard-1548-1.jpg

I remember back in 2017 it was revealed Katy had such an amazing contract for this tour, that her label is the one that would barely make any money from it. So in the end she did make a good profit out of Witness :smile:

It's actually insane how good Katy's financial contracts are. She lived in poverty herself and really said "I won't let my daughter ever worry about money"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

People are aware that artists have performing rights, right? So on top of their flat fee they get paid for performing in front of audiences by a society that considers various factors when paying them? Either way, perhaps directly from the ticket sales she didn't make much (which could still be a couple of tens of thousands), but the performing rights could have easily upped this to hundred of thousands of dollars...

I don't know if celebrities understand what not a lot of money is, really. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Cain said:

In this video Rina explains the risks of the touring industry very well, had she missed one show because she was sick she already would’ve made a loss on the overall tour

Lorde has also send and email about the touring industry. Unless you’re a huge huge player (idk Miley could’ve been classified as such in 2013 yet) it’s a very risky operation that doesn’t guarantee big profit

And thats really sad because other than endorsing products touring is the only way artists actually make any money. :doc: No wonder why Rina is starting to do movies now. :dies: 

Edited by Onyxmage

How would anyone think the whole tour stage and effects and costumes costed 65 million lol or whatever her take home was 

Shocking if true - but good on her, she's gone from strength to strength.

28 minutes ago, jadeabove said:

People are aware that artists have performing rights, right? So on top of their flat fee they get paid for performing in front of audiences by a society that considers various factors when paying them? Either way, perhaps directly from the ticket sales she didn't make much (which could still be a couple of tens of thousands), but the performing rights could have easily upped this to hundred of thousands of dollars...

I don't know if celebrities understand what not a lot of money is, really. 

Yeah, this. She might have invested some of her own money into the props, and she might have made less on the Bangerz tour than the previous ones, but there’s no way she made “no money”. I’m sure she still took home a nice chunk of change. 

26 minutes ago, mrpartyrocker said:

How would anyone think the whole tour stage and effects and costumes costed 65 million lol or whatever her take home was 

Well she alleges she had no sponsors because of her wild image at the time, hence she was the one footing the bill which I imagine would be a lot of money.

Plus each date averaged less than a million dollar a night. So paying off the initial stage, lights, dancers, drivers, semi-trucks, hotels, security, wardrobe, food, transportation, venue, etc EACH NIGHT on top of paying taxes, all by herself, would add up.

I think if true, Miley was just trying to set up her career for long-term branding/success.

Similar to what businesses do with branding. They spend money to stay on top, not necessarily make money on a specific campaign (or in this case tour).

Edited by Xtina23
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Walk_Away21 said:

Girl she had her giant face with tongue slide, huge cutouts of her features, dancers, car and money cannons, a flying hot dog, and more.

Witness Tour had way more props than that, it ended up grossing almost the same as Bangerz Tour per show and yet they didn't lose money so yeah, it's not that I don't believe her, but maybe she went for the expensive options and an expensive insurance for when she was in the air? Who knows

Edit: someone said Bangerz Tour got watered down for the final legs so the fact of it losing money sounds accurate

6 hours ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

i dont believe this.

What's clearly a lie is the giant hot dog. She said it was the end of the show, but that's the performance of Someone Else, she did 3 songs more after that including Party In The USA which was the actual closing track :giraffe:

Edited by BrokenMachine

I admire stories like this, on the one hand. Always bank on yourself etc. 

However, wondering aloud if this investment paid off.

To date, Bangerz is a her most commercial era/run and undoubtedly the time the masses (fans, haters, critics alike) were most plugged into what she was up to. 

Reflecting 10 years on, did it really catapult her into this live force that has a sizeable fanbase to sustain large arena tours worldwide? Has she built on it in any significant way tour-wise (in the way the Beyonces, Gagas, and Taylors have) with her stage show? The answers have to be a (resounding) "yes" for the investment to have been as worthwhile as painted out to be here. And I'm not sure it is.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.