ATRL Decides: Who initiated the SOUR add-on credits?

Taylor fanboy

Hayley, Josh, Taylor, Jack, and Annie  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who initiated their credits?

• Olivia’s Team
    • Add-on musicians’ Team
    • Other third parties e.g. Hipgnosis

Simple ask, simple poll. ATRL Decides on this hot topic.

Not every song has an organic impact and influence like New Year’s Day. :clap3:

VOTE

ATRL decides: which threads are more tiresome? Olivia vs Taylor or Beyoncé vs Taylor?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It doesn’t matter what ATRL thinks. Jack Antonoff has already said they didn’t request to be credited, and I’m going to believe him over a bunch of miserable users on a pop culture forum who spend all day seething over all things related to Taylor Swift. 

• Like 2

Nobody has ever handed over millions of dollars unprompted, especially not in the horrendously greedy music business. Regardless of who it came from, there were threats behind the scenes.

• Like 3

Reddit told this a month or so before it was revealed. It's so weird that people would rather believe Olivia and her team felt so guilty about saying that Taylor inspired her that they would hand over 50% of royalties for a hit song in good faith. Taylor and/or her folks shook that girl down; how could Olivia say no otherwise? She had no power to go up against that machine, and it was her debut era. 

Olivia is already heavily hinting at what happened. She won't be able to tell her story unless she can fully cement and carve a lane out for herself over the next decade.

• Like 7
  • Thumbs Down 1

Yesterday swifties were putting claims that oliva offered up the royalties in community notes, once ATRL has indeed decided, can we correct them? :heart:

It's naive to believe that Olivia's team generously gave up 50% of the royalties of DV and G4U to Taylor/Jack/St. Vincent and Paramore because of viral posts on social media. Artists only give up that much when they are pressured into it.

Of course we’ll likely never know how involved Taylor, Jack, and Paramore were in the whole thing, but it’s interesting that St. Vincent has become a mentor to Olivia after this happened. 

• Like 4

• ATRL Moderator

Why would any artist just give up half of their royalties to one of their biggest hit songs because they felt like it? :skull: 

You’ve gotta be a special type of dumb to think the team of a rising star would just hand over a massive chunk of money without some arm-twisting. 

Olivia all but confirmed in her Guardian interview that she was sued or threatened with a lawsuit:

Sour was plagued by it: after listeners noted similarities between Rodrigo’s song Deja Vu (an ecstatic skewering of her ex for rehashing their favourite pastimes with his new girlfriend) and Taylor Swift’s Cruel Summer, as well as between her Good 4 U and Paramore’s Misery Business, Rodrigo ended up giving both acts 50% of the credits and royalties for the respective tracks. 

At the time, she said it was “disappointing to see people take things out of context and discredit any young woman’s work”. Did the potential for similar scrutiny make her second-guess writing Guts? She grows vague. “I was so green as to how the music industry worked, the litigious side … I feel like now I know so much more about the industry and I just feel … better equipped in that regard. It wasn’t something I thought about too much.”

Taylor Swift.

She even wrote this about Olivia!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.