Bigger at their peak: Britney Spears, Lady Gaga or Taylor Swift?

Wildcat

Blonde Icons  

419 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger commercial peak:

2. 2. Bigger cultural peak:

1 hour ago, EmailMySwift said:

No other fanbase comes up with "receipts" as ludicrous as The Army. 

We've been asking for tangible receipts and so far they've come up with: 

-Invented being blonde 

-Invented being the girl next door

-Invented being a friendly blonde 

-Created the 21st century 

Nicki Minaj Laughing GIF - Nicki Minaj Laughing Happy GIFs

Better than having streaming farms streams as receipts 

nicki-minaj-laughing.gif

No actual worldwide memorable song in discography 

nicki-minaj-laughing.gifnicki-minaj-laughing.gif

No iconic moments

nicki-minaj-laughing.gifnicki-minaj-laughing.gifnicki-minaj-laughing.gif

"Beautiful gowns", but no actual iconic look

nicki-minaj-laughing.gifnicki-minaj-laughing.gifnicki-minaj-laughing.gifnicki-minaj-laughing.gif

Spoiler

Ps: Realized i missed the word "pop" in my original comment. 

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raspberries

• EmailMySwift

• Avenger

• Badgalbriel

What Taylor is doing 2021-24 in her rerecording era commercially/chart wise is just spectacular.

-100 Million album units (CSPC), that makes her label hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue. IFPI global recoding artist 2022, 2023 and most likely 2024. 

-The biggest grossing tour of all time. By far. Beating the old female record, adjusted for inflation, by at least 1 billion $. 

- A massive smash cinema movie, the highest grossing tour movie of all-time

- A merchandise machine that grosses a huge 9 figure revenue 

- Midnights album opened with 1.6 Million sales, 10 top 10 hits, almost 800 Million streams on Spotify

I would vote for Taylor, Britney and Gaga also did fantastic.

1 hour ago, brazil said:

Better than having streaming farms streams as receipts 

nicki-minaj-laughing.gif

No actual worldwide memorable song in discography 

nicki-minaj-laughing.gifnicki-minaj-laughing.gif

No iconic moments

nicki-minaj-laughing.gifnicki-minaj-laughing.gifnicki-minaj-laughing.gif

"Beautiful gowns", but no actual iconic look

nicki-minaj-laughing.gifnicki-minaj-laughing.gifnicki-minaj-laughing.gifnicki-minaj-laughing.gif

Reveal hidden contents

Ps: Realized i missed the word "pop" in my original comment. 

Here for impact based on music and longevity, not problematic Lolita outfits and anesthetized snakes. 

nicki-minaj-laughing.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmailMySwift said:

Here for impact based on music and longevity, not problematic Lolita outfits and anesthetized snakes. 

nicki-minaj-laughing.gif

Music longevity when the GP can't remember your songs? 

nicki-minaj-laughing.gif

• Thumbs Down 1

A reminder that Britney Spears hasn't had a smash album since the twin towers were still standing 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

4 hours ago, brazil said:

Music longevity when the GP can't remember your songs? 

nicki-minaj-laughing.gif

Taylor is performing her songs on the biggest tour of all time while the whole world listens to her discography on Spotify. Next month millions will pay to hear them in theatres. I'd say they're remembered. 

Britney has BOMT and Toxic. The rest are forgotten. Her last hit was as a hook girl on Scream & Shout 10 years ago and that's a song no one remembers. Taylor's songs are very much remembered. 

nicki-minaj-laughing.gif

• Like 1

Taylor commercially. No one is doing it like she is right now.

Britney for culturally. Her impact is huge. 

Britney clearly had a bigger cultural peak, taylor commerical. 

Britney inspired POP and Singers to become singers I dont think Taylor has? 

Edited by ForgottenSoul

On 9/4/2023 at 9:22 PM, Raspberries said:

A reminder that Britney Spears hasn't had a smash album since the twin towers were still standing 

In the zone was a smash album, circus was a smash album, femme fatale had smash hits. The ignorance 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Xtianlofbritney said:

In the zone was a smash album, circus was a smash album, femme fatale had smash hits. The ignorance 

Her next album? Not even out yet and has smash hits. Whew the Little Jamie Lynnsters disgust me :clap3:

5 minutes ago, Xtianlofbritney said:

In The Zone sold 7M pure in 2003. That is not a smash

Circus sold 3.7M pure in 2008. That is not a smash

Femme Fatale's biggest single sold a total of 5M worldwide. No other single even sold 4M. And this was at the peak of digital sales

Where's the ignorance 

• Thanks 1

As I am old enough to remember all three I am going with Gagas.

She had the world salivating for her. Every legend had her name in their mouth. She burst on the scene like a firestorm. Shutting down red carpets, news stories, every music video drop reminded me of the days of Michael Jackson when everyone had to watch and talk about it. She REINVIGORATED pop and being a pop star when pop was dying. Everyone started to model after her from Katy Perry to even rappers like Nicki. Her rise was a true phenomenon not seen since the 80s.

Britney was the “it girl” but she had the bubblegum pop era to help lift her wings and industry was at a sales peak overall. BUT I think had Christina built more stamina she would have overtook Britney. She was more of a radio darling than Britney. After Baby one more time I don’t remember hearing Britney as much on radio as I did xtina. She just became a brand and more shocking. Xtina ****** up doing that stupid Spanish album. But idk Britney was huge but it seem more packaged.

Taylor to me never really had a HUGE ERA just huge sales lol. The re releases are selling but there isn’t like defining moments cultuarry? No iconic outfit. No iconic performance. No iconic music video. Just very commercially successful tour and sales. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Raspberries said:

Femme Fatale's biggest single sold a total of 5M worldwide. No other single even sold 4M. And this was at the peak of digital sales

Where's the ignorance 

And? All of these albums were seen on IFPI list so where they are flop exactly? 
And Till the world ends is like 4x in US how did yo guys gather any information that pleases you? 

and no ff single was big outside US by a long shot, it was a local album like Taylor’s first 3. 

On 9/2/2023 at 12:26 PM, Antikythera said:

Britney was big where she could be big at the time. It wasn't a time for stadium tours and she didn't have the freedom to just re-record or release new music when she wanted on Spotify, without being boycotted by radios on ur third album. She also had to fulfill a "role" that the press wanted her to do and when she didn't anymore, she became the punching bag. Having said all that, yes, Taylor is commercially bigger, no doubt.

Now, for pop cultura influence... Both are big, but I think Britney became bigger than her career. I truly feel people will still be talking about her decades after her death, just like we do with Marilyn Monroe and Judi Garland. People will analyze her life endlessly and her work. I know right know there is this trend of treating Britney as talentless manufactured popstar, well it is not "a new trend", is pretty old actually, but you see from legendary producers, they always praise her, legendary artists like Madonna and Elton John treat her as equal and this is not usual, they don't do that with all the girls. I think she will be praised much more in the future, the next generation will probably think highly of her. She'll be rediscovered as an artist.

Taylor was always great, always critical acclaimed... so this also kind make her not so mysterious. Her life is winning all the time, I see her being important in pop culture, but she lacks tragedy and people relate to tragedy more than they relate to winning. In terms of artistry, Beatles will always be the inventors of pop music and in that example,e we always come to the oldest or to the ones who are totally unique like Britney, that voice many make fun off leaves a mark. Taylor? Super talented, but a rehashed Carly Simon, the whole voice and acoustic guitar woman is kind done to death during the 70s ans 80s. I don't see people so focused on that when you have like 50 great singer songwriters with an acoustic guitar.

Where is Gaga in your post 

43 minutes ago, Avenger said:

and no ff single was big outside US by a long shot, it was a local album like Taylor’s first 3. 

All three Taylor "local" albums are much more succesful than FF

Just now, Axelios said:

All three Taylor "local" albums are much more succesful than FF

And? They were still local lmao. 🤣

Just now, Avenger said:

And? They were still local lmao. 🤣

Not Fearless

Just now, Axelios said:

Not Fearless

You are deluded as always! Love story was popular sure but nothing else from it at least when it was released. Argue when you are not deluded and ready to accept facts. 

Just now, Avenger said:

You are deluded as always! Love story was popular sure but nothing else from it at least when it was released. Argue when you are not deluded and ready to accept facts. 

Fearless smashed in Asia and Oceania. It also sold more than double FF in Europe. YBWM was also a big global hit.

18 minutes ago, Axelios said:

Fearless smashed in Asia and Oceania. It also sold more than double FF in Europe. YBWM was also a big global hit.

Again the FF comparison when I said the album was local AF what is not clicking? 

6 minutes ago, Avenger said:

Again the FF comparison when I said the album was local AF what is not clicking? 

Fearless had 5 times Circus sales in Oceania, 2 times its sales in Canada, 2 times its sales in Asia and almost the same sales in Europe (80%).

It also has double Blackout sales in Europe while still largely outselling it in the other markets.

I guess by these standards Britney has been a very local artist since Blackout.

Edited by Axelios

7 hours ago, Raspberries said:

:deadbanana2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.