Bigger at their peak: Britney Spears, Lady Gaga or Taylor Swift?

Wildcat

Blonde Icons  

419 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger commercial peak:

2. 2. Bigger cultural peak:

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raspberries

• EmailMySwift

• Avenger

• Badgalbriel

1 minute ago, collin said:

Britney > Taylor 

Receipts? What impact did Britney have? Tangible impact, not she drove in a car with Paris and Lindsay in 2007 "impact". Even Gaga made the Grammys change their rule. Britney's impact? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

3 minutes ago, EmailMySwift said:

Receipts? What impact did Britney have? Tangible impact, not she drove in a car with Paris and Lindsay in 2007 "impact". Even Gaga made the Grammys change their rule. Britney's impact? 

Not even a BS fan, but Britney definitely influenced the sound of pop by giving Max Martin his first megasmash, and changed laws around paparazzis, as well as raised awareness around conservatorship abuse.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TheFlyingRobot said:

I think a lot of the people saying Taylor are because she's the top star at the moment and we're in "Taylor's" era. If you were alive when Britney was at the peak of stardom you wouldn't be questioning this. Britney's peak was insane. Gaga also had an enormous peak but peak Britney was like "THE" peak. 

In my opinion it would be Britney, then Gaga, then Taylor.

Britney sold 500,000 copies of her second album in the first day of release back in 2000 which would go on to sell 1.3 million first week. This is back when you had to get your ass up and go out buy whatever products they were releasing.

Britney was big where she could be big at the time. It wasn't a time for stadium tours and she didn't have the freedom to just re-record or release new music when she wanted on Spotify, without being boycotted by radios on ur third album. She also had to fulfill a "role" that the press wanted her to do and when she didn't anymore, she became the punching bag. Having said all that, yes, Taylor is commercially bigger, no doubt.

Now, for pop cultura influence... Both are big, but I think Britney became bigger than her career. I truly feel people will still be talking about her decades after her death, just like we do with Marilyn Monroe and Judi Garland. People will analyze her life endlessly and her work. I know right know there is this trend of treating Britney as talentless manufactured popstar, well it is not "a new trend", is pretty old actually, but you see from legendary producers, they always praise her, legendary artists like Madonna and Elton John treat her as equal and this is not usual, they don't do that with all the girls. I think she will be praised much more in the future, the next generation will probably think highly of her. She'll be rediscovered as an artist.

Taylor was always great, always critical acclaimed... so this also kind make her not so mysterious. Her life is winning all the time, I see her being important in pop culture, but she lacks tragedy and people relate to tragedy more than they relate to winning. In terms of artistry, Beatles will always be the inventors of pop music and in that example,e we always come to the oldest or to the ones who are totally unique like Britney, that voice many make fun off leaves a mark. Taylor? Super talented, but a rehashed Carly Simon, the whole voice and acoustic guitar woman is kind done to death during the 70s ans 80s. I don't see people so focused on that when you have like 50 great singer songwriters with an acoustic guitar.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, EmailMySwift said:

She definitely had more impact than Taylor. 15 years of people doing what she was doing. Taylor = Olivia Rodrigo

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

Not even a BS fan, but Britney definitely influenced the sound of pop by giving Max Martin his first megasmash, and changed laws around paparazzis, as well as raised awareness around conservatorship abuse.

This only scratches the surface :rip: Her image was on the mood board for every main girl that came after and still is— Rihanna, Ariana, Gaga— even Taylor used the friendly blonde girl next door image that didn’t exist to the same degree pre Britney— that’s just to name a few. Also not really a stan in any way but like, let’s not kid ourselves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kataraqueen said:

Britney had a successful copycat of her in every major music market and beyond, the others don't compare to that :katie:

BoA, the legendary k-pop idol, was dubbed the Korean Britney Spears when she started out

Hannah Montanna is literally a Britney Spears parody. All the Hannah merchandise you saw as a kid? That was Britney in her prime.

Britney was omnipresent, not just in the USA but in the world. A ton of movies would have her songs playing. Every major billboard would feature her. Her commercials were playing everywhere. Her perfumes were sold everywhere. Her music videos were constantly playing. THAT'S why Britney is bigger. It's not about sales because they all have achieved impressive feats on that regard. Britney was a global super star. It's like comparing Naomi Campbell to Bella Hadid. Britney transcended her role as a popstar and became a public figurehead. When she visited places like Italy, people would come to her hotel room to wave at her like she was queen Diana. It was just different tbh.

Britney's presence reached all age groups. My mom doesn't know or care about Taylor Swift and neither do any of my friends. This wasn't possible with Britney. 

imo, it's

britney > lady gaga > taylor

Taylor has by far more impressive feats with her music... but it rly just depends on what peak means. Britney fed an entire industry. This can't be tracked by just album sales.

THIS.

4 minutes ago, ScubaDive said:

Britney beating Taylor :clap3:

Especially on a Swiftie dominated website, crazy :bird:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

48 minutes ago, collin said:

This only scratches the surface :rip: Her image was on the mood board for every main girl that came after and still is— Rihanna, Ariana, Gaga— even Taylor used the friendly blonde girl next door image that didn’t exist to the same degree pre Britney— that’s just to name a few. Also not really a stan in any way but like, let’s not kid ourselves.

I gave Britney credit. She’s more of a millennial icon so I don’t know everything. :rip: 

Musically Taylor is bigger now than Gaga and Britney ever were.

Celebrity status, Britney.

Biggest album, Gaga (as Taylor’s peak is spread out her entire catalogue instead of pinpointing one project).

In industry impact, Taylor flipped the script on artist’s masters ownerships, changed the rates songwriters are paid via streaming and is keeping the pure sales market alive with others emulating her marketing strategies. Soon others might emulate the re recordings in an often fashion. Britney was the blonde pop star with inoffensive pop music archetype that other labels wanted to recreate with anyone they could find. Gaga had everyone and their mothers going crazy and extravagant with outfits to achieve her label of exposure (to different degrees) so that’s more debatable.

Edited by Popboi.

JustLikeHoney
2 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

Um no. Max Martin was already working with smash hits way before Britney. 

Ace of Base - beautiful Life 1996

Backstrewtt Boys - Quit Playing Games with My Heart - 1996

'Nsync - twarin up my heart - I want you back

Backstreet and 'Nsync already had Diamond albums before Britney was even signed to a contract. 

You're lying about Britney giving Max his first "megasmash" 

• Thumbs Down 1

12 minutes ago, JustLikeHoney said:

Um no. Max Martin was already working with smash hits way before Britney. 

Ace of Base - beautiful Life 1996

Backstrewtt Boys - Quit Playing Games with My Heart - 1996

'Nsync - twarin up my heart - I want you back

Backstreet and 'Nsync already had Diamond albums before Britney was even signed to a contract. 

You're lying about Britney giving Max his first "megasmash" 

I’ve never heard of those songs. I knew he worked with Robyn, but BOMT was what really made Max Martin who he was. I think BS deserves some credit. 

JustLikeHoney
6 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

I’ve never heard of those songs. I knew he worked with Robyn, but BOMT was what really made Max Martin who he was. I think BS deserves some credit. 

She was just working with Sony's main IT producer. She didn't make him the IT producer. That's like saying Katy Perry made Dr. Luke the IT producer. 

Britney for all

Gaga was huge as well

Taylor has devoted fanbase but not well known to GP as a celebrity and is more local than Gaga and Britney 

On 9/1/2023 at 9:34 AM, MidnightsAtPeace said:

taylor is having one of the biggest peaks for any artist in history 

Pretty much when it was Britney’s peak she was still competing wi try BSB and *NSYNC. Taylor is on another level.

Having lived through all of the above, I feel Britney's peak is exaggerated here. No doubt she was in the center of the zeitgeist 1999-2002, but the thing with her was that living in that moment she never stood out as any bigger than Eminem, Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, or (in the US) NSYNC at the time. In the US especially, she felt second fiddle to the boy band craze.

Gaga felt peerless for a time, though to be fair it wasn't long - Bieber's celebrity really caught up with her quickly, though his mainstream success came way later, and Adele's success felt like an abrupt end to and almost a rejection of her commanding celebrity.

Despite incredible consistency and several massive releases over her career, Taylor struggled for most of her career to truly stand above the competition. Fearless was overshadowed by Gaga. Red by Teenage Dream, Adele, etc. Adele and Drake were still competition and near/at their peaks around the time of 1989. But this past few years, she's become increasingly inescapable and feels truly peerless in the industry.

Edited by RobynYoBank

2 hours ago, collin said:

Me: please provide tangible receipts of her impact. 

You: "blonde", "girl next door" didn't exist before Britney. 

Whoopi Faint GIF - Whoopi Faint Fainted GIFs

Taylor vs Gaga vs Britney is insulting to Taylor so let me exit stage left. I have nothing against those two girls but let's be serious for one minute. 

794Pif5.gif

3 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

Britney gave Max his first hit? :ahh: Max had hits before Britney and long after. He did Blinding Lights. She did Mind Your Business. 

20 minutes ago, EmailMySwift said:

Me: please provide tangible receipts of her impact. 

You: "blonde", "girl next door" didn't exist before Britney. 

Whoopi Faint GIF - Whoopi Faint Fainted GIFs

Taylor vs Gaga vs Britney is insulting to Taylor so let me exit stage left. I have nothing against those two girls but let's be serious for one minute. 

794Pif5.gif

Britney gave Max his first hit? :ahh: Max had hits before Britney and long after. He did Blinding Lights. She did Mind Your Business. 

The cherry picking :rip: Your fanbase is good at that.

I have to go with Britney just for the fact that she had a literal video game made about her :skull:

3926190-britneys-dance-beat-playstation-

7115069-britneys-dance-beat-game-boy-adv

3 minutes ago, collin said:

The cherry picking :rip: Your fanbase is good at that.

Cherry pick what? You said Friendly, Blonde, Girl Next Door. Those were the "receipts" of her impact you provided. Sorry I forgot Friendly, forgive me for cherry picking :rip: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.