Bigger at their peak: Britney Spears, Lady Gaga or Taylor Swift?

Wildcat

Blonde Icons  

419 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger commercial peak:

2. 2. Bigger cultural peak:

2 minutes ago, Avenger said:

Lmao right! Most here don’t even know how Britney was during her hey days! I swear I see this poll every 2nd week. 
But, to each their own. All 3 have always been important figures. 

It always makes me laugh how most users on here weren't even born at the time but often rewrite history to defend their fave.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raspberries

• EmailMySwift

• Avenger

• Badgalbriel

At Gaga’s peak, she was still selling those cds for less than a dollar to debut with one million first week while Taylor is capable of selling one million in one week easily with old albums, especially with those horrible new vocals. Therefore, she’s just a lot more impressive than Gaga! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can we stop comparing women for once? I've already seen threads about this before. These threads are clearly created only to cause chaos

Also, lots of you didn't even experience Britney or Gaga's peaks so it's not fair and we live in a totally different world now because of social media. It's not comparable.

Britney - the 2000s

Gaga - the 2010s

Taylor - the 2020s

Three totally different environments with different rules

Edited by better than revenge
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

The answer is obviously Taylor although I think Gaga made more cultural impact during her peak.

Bish where? People don't even wear Gaga inspired costumes for Halloween anymore.

Commercial Taylor

Cultural Britney, although I can see Gaga here too. 

Extra props to Taylor for doing number in an era where no one buys albums. 

i've lived all 3

there was a thing called television, no trends, britney was there everything everywhere all at once. she is the 2000s.

gaga was really great too. her youtube's videos were massive. she was really different from everything. obama. we can understand if someone chooses her.

taylor is a commercial miracle. but it's other times, really hard to dominate cultural industry as was in britney's era. it's niche. i can go weeks without listening to any taylor anywhere. not the same with britney and gaga's ages.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, better than revenge said:

Can we stop comparing women for once? I've already seen threads about this before. These threads are clearly created only to cause chaos

Also, lots of you didn't even experience Britney or Gaga's peaks so it's not fair and we live in a totally different world now because of social media. It's not comparable.

Britney - the 2000s

Gaga - the 2010s

Taylor - the 2020s

This. Britney was limited to radio and TV. If she had more outlets back then like the ones Gaga and Taylor have then her cultural and commercial peak would have been far greater. Even with her limits she was able to produce the most clones out of them.

43 minutes ago, Love Again said:

Gaga and I won’t accept any other answer, I don’t care how many units Taylor moved in a single calendar year. Gaga’s peak felt enormously ubiquitous she was such a force

Gaga's peak was big. It wasn't bigger than Taylor's. Not by a long shot. Explain how or why it was bigger. You can't just say it was and expect people to just go with it. 

40 minutes ago, CandleGuy said:

Britney's peak is a level of fame that had not been reached before and will never be reached again. It's not even debatable on a cultural level.

For commercial success it has to be Taylor just given the back to back to back to back smashes with every album, the tour, and now the movie.

Again, how is it not debatable? Britney was not a radio force. She was not a touring force, not even when Madonna blew those doors open in the mid 2000s. She was not an award show presence outside of the VMAs (has she ever even performed at the Grammys?). She didn't succeed outside of music to become omnipresent through movies or other means. Shew as a very popular teen pop act like how Justin B was during his Baby days. Just because something was in the past doesn't mean stans get to rewrite history and aggrandize it. 

This is the biggest commercial AND cultural peak: 

I think a lot of the people saying Taylor are because she's the top star at the moment and we're in "Taylor's" era. If you were alive when Britney was at the peak of stardom you wouldn't be questioning this. Britney's peak was insane. Gaga also had an enormous peak but peak Britney was like "THE" peak. 

In my opinion it would be Britney, then Gaga, then Taylor.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, EmailMySwift said:

Gaga's peak was big. It wasn't bigger than Taylor's. Not by a long shot. Explain how or why it was bigger. You can't just say it was and expect people to just go with it. 

Again, how is it not debatable? Britney was not a radio force. She was not a touring force, not even when Madonna blew those doors open in the mid 2000s. She was not an award show presence outside of the VMAs (has she ever even performed at the Grammys?). She didn't succeed outside of music to become omnipresent through movies or other means. Shew as a very popular teen pop act like how Justin B was during his Baby days. Just because something was in the past doesn't mean stans get to rewrite history and aggrandize it. 

This is the biggest commercial AND cultural peak: 

Britney didn't need radio to become the force she was. Everyone wanted to be her or be with her. You had to be there. Maybe it had to do with the lack of social media that enabled her to be so sought after.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bears01 said:

Because ATRL exists solely to daydream about Britney’s (largely forgotten) prime, that’s been over since 2004 

Spill it. She doesn't belong in discussion with these two, sorry 

2 minutes ago, TheFlyingRobot said:

I think a lot of the people saying Taylor are because she's the top star at the moment and we're in "Taylor's" era. If you were alive when Britney was at the peak of stardom you wouldn't be questioning this. Britney's peak was insane. Gaga also had an enormous peak but peak Britney was like "THE" peak. 

In my opinion it would be Britney, then Gaga, then Taylor.

I was alive during all 3 and Taylor bests them all 

8 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

I was alive during all 3 and Taylor bests them all 

I was too and there's no way peak Taylor was as big as a phenomenon as Britney when she came out with Baby One More Time. No way will anyone convince me of that.

Social media, Spotify numbers and stuff and has made things seem a certain way but Britney's peak was top. Can't get any higher than that unless you were MJ or Whitney when she came out with "I will always love you".

Edited by TheFlyingRobot
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, better than revenge said:

Britney - the 2000s

Gaga - the 2010s

Taylor - the 2020s

You speak so much damn sense! Preach!

• Like 1

At this point topics like this deserve trolling WPs. It is abundantly clear Taylor Swift is the biggest artist since Michael Jackson. Her career totals will literally end up closer (if not passed him but that's hot tea for another day) to MJ than to any other 21st century pop girl :rip:

3 minutes ago, TheFlyingRobot said:

I was too and there's no way peak Taylor was as big as a phenomenon as Britney when she came out with Baby One More Time. No way will anyone convince me of that.

Social media, Spotify numbers and stuff and has made things seem a certain way but Britney's peak was top. Can't get any higher than that unless you were MJ or Whitney when she came out with "I will always love you"

The user don’t like Britney you arguing with me would be like hitting a wall 

1 minute ago, TheFlyingRobot said:

Social media has made things seem a certain way for this era but Britney was bigger in the era before social media.

Taylor is smashing on every commercial level she can: singles, albums, tour, movies, etc. We have not seen a single music act be this dominant commercially since Thriller/Bad era Michael Jackson or The Beatles. Moms, dads, young girls, gay people, millennials, gen Z, etc are all flocking to her tour and consuming her music. Britney's appeal was, for the most part, only teenage girls and some young gay men

Britney's debut was huge but she was nowhere near the commercial force Taylor is right now. She sold a lot of copies of her debut album and had a big debut single, but that's about where it ends commercially

taylor commercially britney culturally 

Britney

Taylor Swift is not widely known outside the USA. Gaga shocked everyone with her looks, but that lasted for like 3 years max.

• Thumbs Down 1

Britney > Gaga > Taylor.

Britney's peak during those years was absolutely insane, she was not only instantly a star but had 2 back to back diamond albums, tons of hits, huge tours and don't even get me started on the product placement :deadbanana2: I think only the Spice Girls beat her on that.

Gaga's peak was gigantic too but I think Britney's was bigger.

Taylor is obviously the biggest star on the planet right now but I just think the other 2 were more successful.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.