Bigger at their peak: Britney Spears, Lady Gaga or Taylor Swift?

Wildcat

Blonde Icons  

419 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger commercial peak:

2. 2. Bigger cultural peak:

1 hour ago, Axelios said:

Fearless had 5 times Circus sales in Oceania, 2 times its sales in Canada, 2 times its sales in Asia and almost the same sales in Europe (80%).

It also has double Blackout sales in Europe while still largely outselling it in the other markets.

I guess by these standards Britney has been a very local artist since Blackout.

How does this even compare? Blackout sold next to nothing based on her media charade for the time. Fearless was still not a global phenomenon album by any means no matter how much you compare. 

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raspberries

• EmailMySwift

• Avenger

• Badgalbriel

3 hours ago, Avenger said:

And? All of these albums were seen on IFPI list so where they are flop exactly? 
And Till the world ends is like 4x in US how did yo guys gather any information that pleases you? 

and no ff single was big outside US by a long shot, it was a local album like Taylor’s first 3. 

Them not being smashes doesn't mean they're flops? :skull:

In The Zone was successful but is not a smash.

Circus had moderate success and is FAR from a smash.

FF had a semi success at best.

• Thumbs Down 1

9 hours ago, Avenger said:

And? All of these albums were seen on IFPI list so where they are flop exactly? 
And Till the world ends is like 4x in US how did yo guys gather any information that pleases you? 

and no ff single was big outside US by a long shot, it was a local album like Taylor’s first 3. 

None of these are smashes. 

And on what planet was Fearless/its singles local? Love Story alone almost outsold all FF singles combined :rip: 

5 hours ago, Mystic Boy said:

Them not being smashes doesn't mean they're flops? :skull:

In The Zone was successful but is not a smash.

Circus had moderate success and is FAR from a smash.

FF had a semi success at best.

Who said they're flops? I said Britney hasn't had a smash album since the twin towers were standing

ITZ did fine (although the tour was flopping)

Circus did ok

Femme Fatale underperformed and was local

28 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

The tour was a major flop as well.

32 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

Who said they're flops? I said Britney hasn't had a smash album since the twin towers were standing

ITZ did fine (although the tour was flopping)

Circus did ok

I was referring to that Avenger member who concluded on his own that since those albums weren't smashes then they were flops, when nobody said they were flops to begin with :skull:

• Thumbs Down 1

38 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

None of these are smashes. 

And on what planet was Fearless/its singles local? Love Story alone almost outsold all FF singles combined :rip: 

Where did I say it smashed? It just never flopped, and fearless album was not global under any means at the time. 

Edited by Avenger

3 minutes ago, Avenger said:

Where did I say it smashed? It just never flopped, and fearless album was not global under any means at the time. 

Literally my OP says smashed and that's what you're replying to 

Fearless outsold Circus pretty much everywhere around the globe, sans a few European countries. And that's with one being a country album by a newer act and the other being billed as the massive comeback by the princess of pop :rip: 

My initial point remains true: Britney has not had a smash album (or era) since 2001

17 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

Literally my OP says smashed and that's what you're replying to 

Fearless outsold Circus pretty much everywhere around the globe, sans a few European countries. And that's with one being a country album by a newer act and the other being billed as the massive comeback by the princess of pop :rip: 

My initial point remains true: Britney has not had a smash album (or era) since 2001

You have some problem understanding the point. Fearless was still not a global phenomenon you are clinging onto a comparison to prove nothing. 

Britney's peak is simply unmatched. If you weren't even alive to experience the tsunami that Britney Spears was then you should just sit there and eat your food.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Avenger said:

You have some problem understanding the point. Fearless was still not a global phenomenon you are clinging onto a comparison to prove nothing. 

Fearless was massive in North America, SE Asia and Oceania - which is more than we can say for anything Britney Spears has done in over 2 decades

13 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

Fearless was massive in North America, SE Asia and Oceania - which is more than we can say for anything Britney Spears has done in over 2 decades

Ok fearless is still not global and I’m not a big Britney fan so you’re just blabbing.

Edited by Avenger

10 minutes ago, Avenger said:

Ok fearless is still not global and I’m not a big Britney fan so you’re just blabbing.

Smashing in the most populous country on earth doesn't sound like "not global" unless of course you mean it just didn't do well in mainland Europe :dies: 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ScubaDive said:

Where is Gaga in your post 

Omitted cause they knows Gaga wins lol

On 9/4/2023 at 5:25 PM, Chartman said:

What Taylor is doing 2021-24 in her rerecording era commercially/chart wise is just spectacular.

-100 Million album units (CSPC), that makes her label hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue. IFPI global recoding artist 2022, 2023 and most likely 2024. 

-The biggest grossing tour of all time. By far. Beating the old female record, adjusted for inflation, by at least 1 billion $. 

- A massive smash cinema movie, the highest grossing tour movie of all-time

- A merchandise machine that grosses a huge 9 figure revenue 

- Midnights album opened with 1.6 Million sales, 10 top 10 hits, almost 800 Million streams on Spotify

I would vote for Taylor, Britney and Gaga also did fantastic.

All you say is stats though. Where is the iconic performance. Iconic videos. Iconic outfits. Iconic image. 

Commercial Taylor slays but culturally? She didn’t shift nothing to me lol. Britney and Gaga at least did. 

6 hours ago, Avenger said:

What? Fearless is absolutely global. Speak Now was the local era, but Fearless was a smash in multiple markets. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FreeXone said:

All you say is stats though. Where is the iconic performance. Iconic videos. Iconic outfits. Iconic image. 

Commercial Taylor slays but culturally? She didn’t shift nothing to me lol. Britney and Gaga at least did. 

To you

The delusion in thinking Taylor had more cultural impact than Gaga :deadbanana2: it’s either recency bias or delusion from the Swifties

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

51 minutes ago, Ras said:

The delusion in thinking Taylor had more cultural impact than Gaga :deadbanana2: it’s either recency bias or delusion from the Swifties

The only delusion is in this post 

Ras

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 5:01 PM, FreeXone said:

As I am old enough to remember all three I am going with Gagas.

She had the world salivating for her. Every legend had her name in their mouth. She burst on the scene like a firestorm. Shutting down red carpets, news stories, every music video drop reminded me of the days of Michael Jackson when everyone had to watch and talk about it. She REINVIGORATED pop and being a pop star when pop was dying. Everyone started to model after her from Katy Perry to even rappers like Nicki. Her rise was a true phenomenon not seen since the 80s.

Britney was the “it girl” but she had the bubblegum pop era to help lift her wings and industry was at a sales peak overall. BUT I think had Christina built more stamina she would have overtook Britney. She was more of a radio darling than Britney. After Baby one more time I don’t remember hearing Britney as much on radio as I did xtina. She just became a brand and more shocking. Xtina ****** up doing that stupid Spanish album. But idk Britney was huge but it seem more packaged.

Taylor to me never really had a HUGE ERA just huge sales lol. The re releases are selling but there isn’t like defining moments cultuarry? No iconic outfit. No iconic performance. No iconic music video. Just very commercially successful tour and sales. 

I agree. But as a caveat, I'd argue it's too early to definitively quantify Taylor's cultural footprint and legacy, as these things are most easily identified retroactively, and her peak is ongoing. And additionally, as she's not really an image-forward artist in the way most conventional popstars are, her influence won't be in the domain of outfits, performances, or videos like what we see with Madonna, Gaga, etc. 

• Like 1

Gaga had cross-cultural impact during her peak. Literally everyone was talking about her, and she was on the news all the time because of her statements, looks and videos. ‘Just Dance’ was huge in Black clubs too, Taylor just doesn’t have much appeal to the Black community.  

On 9/7/2023 at 2:53 AM, ScubaDive said:

Where is Gaga in your post 

Gaga is in the middle. She won't have the biggest peak or the biggest cultural impact. She'll be remember somewhat like Cher or her movie career will take over her music and newer generation will only know her as an actress first.

I think she is so distant from her The Fame/Born This Way person that even she doesn't treat that time like her best time. She is trying to let her past in the past since Joanne.

On 9/15/2023 at 2:45 PM, Antikythera said:

Gaga is in the middle. She won't have the biggest peak or the biggest cultural impact. She'll be remember somewhat like Cher or her movie career will take over her music and newer generation will only know her as an actress first.

I think she is so distant from her The Fame/Born This Way person that even she doesn't treat that time like her best time. She is trying to let her past in the past since Joanne.

I thought you were just a hater I really like your post follow me

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.