Can you Reconcile Faith with Homosexuality?

BOOMBAYAH

I am not currently religious, but I was until around 18. My struggle lay in reconciling my faith's condemnation of homosexuality with my own identity as a gay person. I couldn't bridge this gap without resorting to mental gymnastics, which ultimately didn't align with my honesty and values. I have queer friends who manage to retain their faith, and I find it puzzling. In conversations, they either engage in similar mental gymnastics or outright ignore the conflicting parts (which seems counterintuitive to me). I avoid pushing the topic with them, but I'm curious if any queer individuals here have managed to reconcile their faith with their queerness, and how they navigate that.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BOOMBAYAH

• spree

• Buffy

• The Next Day

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if the church was accepting of gays I still wouldn't believe in god

spacer.png

• Like 11

This isa very interesting topic.

Just wondering why it's in Base lol

I will try to come up with a reply later when i have more time

I think so. I'm not religious at all but I definitely get the appeal of religion for a lot of people. It provides a level of structure in their lives plus a lot of people find it comforting that they're not "alone" in the world. And of course there's the community aspect too.

I know plenty of Muslim guys who drink, smoke and have sex before marriage but are still a part of their community. If they can do that then I think it's possible to rationalise being gay with religion.

I think when you strip back most religions to their fundamental teachings it's essentially: be a good person and be nice to others. In Christianity for example a lot of the rules are simply interpretations of things in the bible rather than outright quotes from prophets. So I don't think it's necessarily mental gymnastics to ignore certain teachings. There should be a lot more emphasis on personal interpersonal of teachings rather than strict rulebooks.

• Thanks 2

Well not all religions are homophobic. But for the big ones that are, you only can through cognitive dissonance. The biggest religious texts want us dead and are pretty clear about it. 

• Like 1

probably. It contradicts scripture - but so do many other things that are completely normalized, (like drinking alcohol, not being clothed "properly"). 

Edited by KatyPrismSpirit

Yes! Animals have homo ways - we're also just animals that learned to talk - religion is man-made and sexuality is a natural spectrum, so there's not point in feeling bad about it.

In the end religion is not that serious, take the good stuff from it if you need it, but there's a lot of people who incapable of critical thinking that try to oppress/control other people based on their personal interpretations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that's a case by case thing. What is your faith? What is your community? What is your history with your faith? Do you grew up in an accepting community? All these things are highly individual. I'm not judging anyone who turns their back on religion (there can be trauma and internalized homophobia involved, after all) and I don't judge anyone who has a certain faith as long as that person doesn't condemn my existence. There is NOT 1 real Christianity or 1 real Islam, there are different schools of thought that share views or compete with eachother. As an example, the Bible doesn't have 1 meaning: you can interpret it literally, historically, politically, look at it from a feminist perspective, a queer perspective and probably hundreds of more ways. And each time the same words will have a different meaning. And I think that's similiar to faith. It depends on how you look at it. And as long as you respect yourself and others, all these different views are valid.

Edited by The Next Day
  • Like 1

Only Christianity, Islam and Judaism are homophobic (by official scripture).

Yeah, I think so? I'm an atheist, but I don't see how believing in a God is necessarily contradictory.

Participating in an organized religion like the Catholic Church tho... hmm, good luck!, that's all I'll say.

I don't think so.

For the religions that forbid it you just end up making something else 

Faith and spirituality is separate from organized religion. But trying to change a religion to become more accepting of LGBTQ+ people is a lost cause in my eyes. Why would you want to be accepted where you're not actually wanted?

I have a friend who is religious and openly gay and he consistently gets harassed by others of his own faith who tell him that their God doesn't acknowledge sinners like him. Yet these same people are also "sinning" by judging and tormenting him. It's hypocritical. I wouldn't put myself through that though, which is why I don't go to church.

TLDR: Queer people can absolutely be spiritual and religious, especially in times like these where the world is so unstable, despite conflicting scriptures.

6 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

Yeah, I think so? I'm an atheist, but I don't see how believing in a God is necessarily contradictory.

Participating in an organized religion like the Catholic Church tho... hmm, good luck!, that's all I'll say.

This! It bugs me that people tend to think faith = church, when in reality it's much more complicated than that. The concepts of faith and religion are very interesting to me and I would lie if I said I wouldn't find meaning for my life in some aspects of that. But at the same time, a lot of churches/communities are rotten cause they only allow one certain perspective to look at the world.

1 minute ago, The Next Day said:

There is NOT 1 real Christianity or 1 real Islam, there are different schools of thought that share views or compete with eachother.

And here’s your answer. 

The idea that every person following religion, even within the same denomination  or even congregation, is practicing and holding the same belief is ludicrous. Religious fundamentalists will lead you to believe that religion is a finite, discrete set of believes when the reality couldn’t be further from the truth. Similar to gender identity, two people born male who identify as men can can embody completely different ideas of what it means to be a man. Religions are socially constructed and basically every single scripture that dictates what a person should or should not do are nothing more than pragmatic solutions to “issues” of their time to increase survival rates.

• Like 1

You can’t be a homo and religious sorry and if you think you can then you’re really bad at one of those things

• Haha 1

I would like to have my input on this and tell the truth but it will cause a stir. 

And why is this in the base

I certainly try

I haven’t done the research myself yet, but I’ve heard that the times it’s mentioned in the Bible, it wasn’t talking about consenting, loving relationships between two adults, but was more in reference to powerful men taking advantage of vulnerable men which was normal at the time.

But again, I haven’t researched this for myself yet.

Yes, I have faith in Leah Kate and Addison Rae both outselling Taylor Swift and I’m a homosexual!

This is interesting.  You needs to separate the concept of Religion and Faith.  Faith here is a relationship while Religion is a human constructed institution.  

I don’t think that you can rectify queerness with religion until the religion itself disentangles itself from bigotry.

However faith is more personal.  Personally I don’t even think there is anything to rectify.  According to my faith and understanding of scripture, Jesus was bisexual and sleeping with John and Mary Magdalene.  :)  I think he is pretty OK with homosexuality.

Edited by byzantium
  • Thumbs Down 1

i believe in a "good force" that is called god.

and i believe good people will find peace after they die. 

this is a way of having faith -- and that i can reconcile with my sexuality. 

Edited by Selegend
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can do what you want lmao. Your faith is your faith and doesn’t depend on any religion or sexuality. Believe what you wanna believe. 

In terms of a religious community, I’ve never understood how queer people could be a part of a church that openly condemns them. 

That being said I’m fully atheist so it’s probably a lot easier for me to navigate when I have no skin in the game. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Smarticle said:

ask ms. Nemo @Bussea

i’ll ask his cult leader if he can come out and play today 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.