Did you expect Kesha to prevail over Dev?

nostalgia

Both Kesha and Dev came out of the pop scene at the same time and popularized the party girl and electronica pop genre of the early 2010s. Yet why is it that it was Kesha who prevailed over Dev, becoming the Madonna to Dev’s Cyndi Lauper? What made the GeePee gravitate towards Kesha even though Dev had hits of her own like Like A G6 and Bass Down Low and was tagged as “The Next Kesha”? What happened? What went wrong?

tfudKtXrBKcQOvfHtlBN53vbXmP0K60q138i2C8a

dev1.jpg?w=980&q=75

Yes because Kesha came out SWINGING while the other girl DIDN’T! :deadbanana2:

Kesha image felt more natural & she was literally dropping BOP AFTER BOP!

Edited by Power love

well kesha was miles better, but dancing in the dark was a tune!

13 minutes ago, nostalgia said:

I just realised this is the exact same song as Selena's B.E.A.T :rip: 

smoore95GAGA

Who? x2

• Haha 1

Like a G6 was a feature I thought. Dev’s music was kind of… soulless… it was good but not really relatable. Kesha was always that party girl that everyone could relate to or that they knew. It helps that Kesha has somewhat stayed in the media over the years. 

Cause dev (barely) sang the hook on like one song, and kesha had dr. xxxx backing her. Sorry, but its the truth.

Dev had some fun tracks and a cool sound but zero star power or name recognition, meanwhile back in the day Ke$ha was everywhere, just under Katy/Gaga/Rihanna.

Also Dev suffered when her producers split and she got pregnant right before her debut album, which unfortunately stalled her momentum so badly she never recovered.

• Like 2

I’ve never thought of these two as counterparts, at all. I guess they were both at the forefront of edm, sing-rap bops at the time, but Dev never really had the name recognition or influence Kesha did instantly. 

The Night The Sun Came Up is a great album though - it’s much more left of field than what Kesha was doing at the time. 

I still jam these - 

Edited by FOCK

Dev's voice & persona is a bit more faceless and reserved. Ke$ha is raunchier and more in-your-face which makes her more memorable in public.

In The Dark is an absolute tune tho, lowkey better than entirety of Animal oop :jamming:

Edited by Heirloom
  • Like 2

In the Dark lowkey washes Kesha but the Take It Off chanteuse was always the bigger star

• Like 1

why did I read the title as Did you expect Kesha to work with I Prevail!  LIKE I"D BE HERE FOR THAT.

OT: Dev was such a one hit wonder I forgot ha existed once. 

All the heathens not knowing who Dev is. 

Get into this masterpiece.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, FOCK said:

I’ve never thought of these two as counterparts, at all. I guess they were both at the forefront of edm, sing-rap bops at the time, but Dev never really had the name recognition or influence Kesha did instantly. 

The Night The Sun Came Up is a great album though - it’s much more left of field than what Kesha was doing at the time. 

I still jam these - 

Lightspeed is still on my playlists, she kinda ate with that one

i never put kesha and DEV on the same pedestal either .. they were completely different and tbh I never saw DEV as a ‘party girl’ :rip: she was always just some girl who made BOPS who i would play on repeat while playing gta. Ke$ha on the other hand .. I was INTERESTED in the whole package

She had a kid the same year her debut came out so her career was put on pause so she could become a mother. 

• Like 1

I was forgot about this bop, thank u for reminding me about this bop (bass down low) 

I don't care for either artist's earlier works, surprisingly enough (although I didn't listen to any Dev album after the first LP), but Animal is way better than Dev's debut: there is no comparison. Kesha's album has more life to it-- the production can be fun times, Kesha has personality in her voice, and the album starts and finishes strong. ATRL seems to dislike The High Road/Gag Order-Kesha, but I actually think Kesha only got better with music starting with Rainbow. 

• Like 1

I always new Dev wasn't there to stay. She didn't have that spice. That ingredient to stand out. 

18 minutes ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

I always new Dev wasn't there to stay. She didn't have that spice. That ingredient to stand out. 

She’s giving “small supporting role as Milagros Cullen in Twilight, then never heard from again”.

dev-amerikanische-sangerin-dev-feiert-di

• Haha 1

Yes because literally who is Dev:rip:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.