Olivia Rodrigo: Pop's New Hope?

RobynYoBank

Olivia Rodrigo: Pop's New Hope?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Olivia Rodrigo: Pop's New Hope?

If not her then who? I can only think of Dua

• Thanks 1

Yes, she is saving 2023 and 2024 with GUTS :katie2:

The new releases from the last week made me realize that Olivia is really doing her thing

To be honest yes. She has little competition for her demographic. Other than legendary acts like Tay. Who is her competitior? Sabrina💀 I don’t think anyone is coming close to her since Billie in that aspect

• Like 2

"bad idea right?" is a cute, catchy, fun pop song. She isn't afraid to be "basic" and there's such a huge market for that, as we know from a certain tour sales right now (hint: not Bey). Obvi most people need to find their niche, but some people can be just perfectly angled to appeal to the masses and I think Olivia might be one of them.

She came across really well in the "75 questions with Vogue" (or however many questions it is), she's a delight.

• Like 1

Commercially? Sure. Sonically? No, imo. 🤷‍♂️ she's nowhere near being the worst mainstream Pop act around rn, but I wouldn't say her discography makes me "hopeful" for the state of Pop moving forward. Especially since a lot of her music isn't even really what I'd consider POP pop. She leans more into ballads or pop-rock songs.

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Century said:

She's the only big debut since Billie and Dua last decade so kinda :rip:

Are we really gonna act like Billie’s debut album didn’t come out just two years before Olivia’s. :rip: 

7 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Are we really gonna act like Billie’s debut album didn’t come out just two years before Olivia’s. :rip: 

Billie and Dua have almost been around a decade in music and pop culture moves on a lot faster rn than it used to so yeah its a fair comparison.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bloo said:

I definitely like Billie the most out of the 3 artists I named. :rip:

Point was every attempt since Olivia has failed. Not that nobody stuck before her.

I don't know yet, let me hear GUTS first. Right now I can only see Billie Eilish as the future of pop

• ATRL Moderator
41 minutes ago, lgaga1fan said:

Billie and Dua have almost been around a decade in music and pop culture moves on a lot faster rn than it used to so yeah its a fair comparison.

Again, Billie’s debut album came out 2 years before Olivia’s. I don’t think comparing a song that blew up on Sound Cloud counts much for a debut. Sure, it was impressive, but is it really a proper debut? Not in my opinion. The debut album launch is a more fair and sound comparison, IMO since that’s when people actually started paying attention. 

Regardless, acting like that is a significant amount of time before another pop girl debuted with staying potential is a bit hyperbolic. 

Yes if the rest of the tracks on GUTS sound more like vampire and less like bad idea right

Addison Rae gave me the best bubblegum pop EP of the year :clap3: 

Olivia still will never give me that same feel im afraid. Vampire was so mid. And other song I liked but we all know that is probably gonna be the only bop. SOUR did not grab my attention at all.

Hmmm if bad idea right is any indication of her next album then…what a bleak future for pop if she is the only hope. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.