This is how Katy’s Witness/Chained to the Rhythm should’ve approached purposeful pop

nostalgia

She described Witness and Chained as purposeful Pop but it was only covered in the lead single and some songs on the album, barely scratching the surface as to what she wanted to showcase as purposeful Pop. In a way, American Poe by Madonna is what Katy should have done for her lead Chained to the Rhythm, in that it was still able to capture the state of America and the cultural zeitgeist, but still be palatable to the American GeePee. 

American Pie ticks all the boxes of what Katy wanted to achieve with Chained to the Rhythm. It had political undertones that were subtle yet to the point. It had visuals that was not too on the nose and has diverse imagery without being overstuffed. It was dignified and classy and showed America for what it was in a pre-9/11 climate. The only truly great moment in the Chained video was the ending shot of Katy looking into the camera, which was the only authentic moment of the music video and showed the purpose of her pop.

Katy could never write something as good as American Pie tbh :michael:

14 minutes ago, Katamari said:

Madonna couldn’t either :skull:

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

8 minutes ago, Attaboy said:

Madonna couldn’t either :skull:

Disagree :) 

• Thumbs Down 1

30 minutes ago, Katamari said:

I’m afraid she already has! 

3 minutes ago, truthteller said:

it should have been this :gaycat2:

This song + Mother and Father are the worst on AL tho :rip:

CTTR is much better than most of American Life, and it actually tackles  social matters which AL usually skipped aside from "fame/hollywood bad"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

How did the pop girls back then manage to have such a strong muscle definition?

Did they inject testosterone? 

You basically made this exact thread a month ago but used Katy's marketing buzzword instead of directly naming her. Imagine how tired we are.

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, Century said:

You basically made this exact thread a month ago but used Katy's marketing buzzword instead of directly naming her. Imagine how tired we are.

See you next month for This is how Taylor’s YNTCD and The Man should have approached Purposeful Pop

• Haha 6

If she didn't throw on a wig and get a cheap haircut to make us think she evolved, purposeful pop would've been meaningful

39 minutes ago, Century said:

2b42ce6d-220c-45d5-a3d3-321dcce5a043_tex

• Haha 3

There was nothing wrong about cttr

Katy was the problem

• Like 1

6 hours ago, truthteller said:

it should have been this :gaycat2:

Thankfully even Katy never reached the amount of cringe Madonna reached with AL. Madonna is the last person in the world that should sing about how shallow Hollywood life/the music industry is.

Edited by Axelios
  • Thumbs Down 1

I remember when it came out and I was so confused why people hated it cuz I always thought chain to the rythm was a Bop. :clap3: But yeah that album was not it. 

11 hours ago, Century said:

11 hours ago, ImpressMeMuch said:

See you next month for This is how Taylor’s YNTCD and The Man should have approached Purposeful Pop

Or, my favourite, something about weaponised pop.

11 hours ago, ithinkheknowsoutsold said:

Or, my favourite, something about weaponised pop.

:rip:  Not me thinking Sweet Nothings was gonna be a Weaponized Sexuality bop

23 hours ago, nostalgia said:

2b42ce6d-220c-45d5-a3d3-321dcce5a043_tex

:deadbanana2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.