Will NewJeans be the first kpop group to crack the US?

Sheep

Is Hurricane Danielle coming?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Is Hurricane Danielle coming?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, (insert your favorite group) already cracked the US.

Kpop has been trying and failing to get off the ground in the US since the late 00s. While it's true that kpop is making hundreds of millions of dollars(possibly billions) in the US at present, we still haven't seen an entire group become a proper A-list music act that people outside of stan twitter check for.

With the enormous momentum from their streaming hits and Scooter Braun stepping back from talent management to focus on building their US label, could NewJeans finally crack the market wide open? Or are xenophobia and the death of monoculture too big of a hurdle to overcome?

Spoiler

I think the fact that their music doesn't sound like dated EDM or knockoff Max Martin means they have the best chance any group has ever had, but I'm not sure if they're gonna make it like that :biblio:

Edited by Century
  • Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

The recent NewJeans release was super dated, so that's not really working for them. However, they are really popular so they could become mainstream.  I would consider Blackpink and BTS mainstream as well though

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

hasn’t BTS and BLACKPINK already done so? i don’t see them becoming any bigger than them tbh.

FIFTY FIFTY already cracked it tho :confused:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

there are literally several k-pop bands who have been selling out stadiums across the US... huh?

• Like 1

they already did. #1 album with 130k despite a 5 track ep and 1 interlude. they are the it girls. not even blackpink pulling these numbers despite a 8 year career lets keep it real 

4 minutes ago, khalyan said:

The recent NewJeans release was super dated, so that's not really working for them. However, they are really popular so they could become mainstream.  I would consider Blackpink and BTS mainstream as well though

3 minutes ago, OnikaSlays said:

hasn’t BTS and BLACKPINK already done so? i don’t see them becoming any bigger than them tbh.

3 minutes ago, ChapelHooker said:

there are literally several k-pop bands who have been selling out stadiums across the US... huh?

Those acts are all huge business in the US but they haven't really broke the musical mainstream yet. The GP doesn't think about those acts along the same lines as other big pop forces like Dua or Taylor, kpop is still seen as a separate niche interest. I'm talking about proper full media saturation and occupying the public conscious.

Edited by Century
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KatyPrismSpirit said:

they already did. #1 album with 130k despite a 5 track ep and 1 interlude. they are the it girls. not even blackpink pulling these numbers despite a 8 year career lets keep it real 

BLACKPINK sold their album for $50 and still almost cracked 100k. :dies:

OT: Does it matter if they crack the US?  If they manage to hold a stadium tour like BP and TWICE it's already a major win and sets them for a long career. 

BTS, BLACKPINK and TWICE have literally done stadiums in the US, where have you been?

• Like 3

I don’t think they will be as big as BTS or BP. But I do think in less than 3 years a new group will blow up and be even bigger. New jeans is pretty popular already with the youth. But idk if they will have a smash single over here yet

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

I don’t think they will be as big as BTS or BP. But I do think in less than 3 years a new group will blow up and be even bigger. New jeans is pretty popular already with the youth. But idk if they will have a smash single over here yet

SMNGG is coming 

EXRShwX.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Century said:

The GP doesn't think about those acts along the same lines as other big pop forces like Dua or Taylor, kpop is still seen as a separate niche interest. I'm talking about proper full media saturation and occupying the public conscious.

In order for NewJeans to get out of the k-pop niche and achieve this, they would have to release only English songs. Unfortunately there is still a stigma around songs in languages that people don't understand (+ racism).

Fifty Fifty tried it and it paid off.

• Like 1

They have the potential imo to rapidly surpass TWICE and Black Pink current USA status, so yes and they are doing it without singing in english (well if you don't count the heavy English content anyway)

2 minutes ago, Flomik said:

In order for NewJeans to get out of the k-pop niche and achieve this, they would have to release only English songs. Unfortunately there is still a stigma around songs in languages that people don't understand (+ racism).

Fifty Fifty tried it and it paid off.

I wonder if Ador is cooking anything up after the surprise of lollapalooza. They work so far in advance with NJ though that who knows when we'd actually see it.

I think they do but it's not going to happen until the girls get some facetime as individuals in the states. Their music is already proving more successful long term than artists like BP per say in the US, so once the girls start getting their names out with US promotion they have it in the bag.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Century said:

SMNGG is coming 

EXRShwX.png

Tiffany’s Coming for Billboard next:-*

spacer.png
spacer.png

• Like 1

they will & y’all will seethe :clap3:

I can’t see them going  much higher than BP and especially BTS already did. Maybe with a change of concept and sound, but I don’t think they should prioritize the US tbh, it’s not necessary and it could backfire. 

if anyone can do it, it'll be them. their tiktok presence is massive

i'm tired of people still trying to argue that 'BTS/Blackpink/etc already did!!' - kpop is probably the biggest it's ever been in the US right now but it's still very niche and mostly consumed by teens/early 20s ages. sure those groups can pull numbers but it's not because they have actual hits among the GP, it's bc of their massive and dedicated fanbases...but outside of those fanbases NO ONE cares or knows them. Dynamite is the only actual big kpop hit here in the US that i can think of (Butter to a lesser extent) and even that song is entirely in english

the US hasn't had a big girl group since fifth harmony (and even as someone who stanned them, was 5H even really that known to the GP?) so it's definitely overdue. i'm interested to see if NJ starts to be pushed more in the US as far as radio and promo so that people outside of pop music stans can get to know them. super shy and/or ETA could be cute hits here if their team gives them a little push, they're already well known on tiktok/social media

Edited by Scandalous

Even though Blackpink, BTS and TWICE are selling out stadiums in the US, they still haven’t penetrated the US mainstream on a household level. And that has to do with a lot of factors like the typical style of music of each of those groups, the obvious disguised xenophobia and racism on the public platforms and radio etc etc. We do have a novelty hit once in a while like Gangnam Style and Cupid which goes beyond the niche kpop fanbase, but those are just flukes for now lol.
But NewJeans seem to be on the right track to break that because not only are they gaining a massive fanbase as the above three groups, their popularity is also spilling onto the mainstream consciousness through the use of Spotify playlisting and tiktok awareness. Plus their music is also something that’s easily way more digestible to the western audience than BTS, BP and TWICE’s discographies. So yes, I see a great potential in them to really break out in the US. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.