California woman shot dead over Pride flag displayed at store

Lana Banana

Officials said that during an initial altercation at Carleton’s clothing store, a male suspect “made several disparaging remarks about a rainbow flag that stood outside the store before shooting Carleton”. He then fled the scene.

Deputies were able to locate the suspect, who was armed, and he was shot dead after a confrontation with the officers. By Sunday, the man had not been identified.

Carleton, who preferred to be called “Lauri”, is survived by her husband and nine children in a blended family.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/aug/20/california-shop-owner-shot-dead-over-lgbtq-pride-flag

Kristin Davis also posted about it on her Instagram. Apparently this woman’s flags were stolen before as well and she quickly replaced them..

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwLRZNJpINh/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Ugh :sosad:

Edited by Lana Banana
  • Like 1

What a horrible incident, and in California nonetheless. :biblio: How sad he was shot dead. Wish he suffered in jail like the little rat he is.

She was a brave ally :clap3:RIP to Ms. Lauri and sending condolences to her family 

I saw this yesterday and was devastated. This is hearbreaking. I hate this ******* country.

• Like 1

That's ****** up, over a FLAG? a RAINBOW??? what the actual **** is wrong with the straights?

1 hour ago, mystery said:

I wish I didn't read the comments on this post... how deplorable can people be.

Instagram has become easily the most homophobic platform over the past year or so, top comments on anything even vaguely gay are always extremely cruel and hateful, worse than twitter. 

—-

This year’s Pride felt very different, people are really starting to go out of their way to hate us. I remember 8 years ago being fairly confident holding a mans hand out in public but now I’m afraid of something happening, which is exactly what they want us to feel. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, TheCheshireCat said:

Instagram has become easily the most homophobic platform over the past year or so, top comments on anything even vaguely gay are always extremely cruel and hateful, worse than twitter. 

—-

This year’s Pride felt very different, people are really starting to go out of their way to hate us. I remember 8 years ago being fairly confident holding a mans hand out in public but now I’m afraid of something happening, which is exactly what they want us to feel. 

Twitter is 5x worse but that's not saying much. Look who owns Twitter.

Make no mistake this is exactly what they want. They want everyone to be scared. Look how the right talks with their chests puffed out on social media. 

It's going to come to a bad ending in this country.

Cedar Glen, an unincorporated community in San Bernadino with a population making up 86% white? Not surprised with these racists.

Our community needs to start physically fighting these people back.

It's disgusting that it's come to this, but every LGBTQ+ person should get licensed to carry for their own safety. And I say this as someone who thinks we already have too many guns on the streets.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, scenekiller said:

Our community needs to start physically fighting these people back.

It's disgusting that it's come to this, but every LGBTQ+ person should get licensed to carry for their own safety. And I say this as someone who thinks we already have too many guns on the streets.

I agree. People need something to protect themselves with. Being a pacifist in the face of an imminent threat is just misguided.

8 hours ago, Afterglow said:

Twitter is 5x worse but that's not saying much. Look who owns Twitter.

Make no mistake this is exactly what they want. They want everyone to be scared. Look how the right talks with their chests puffed out on social media. 

It's going to come to a bad ending in this country.

One would think Twitter is worse, especially with Elon and the blue checks, but in the past year of daily use on both platforms i've personally noticed a very steep increase in homophobia on specifically instagram comment sections that is unrivaled. Even things that aren't related to gays will have a top comment commenting on "...well at-least they arent trying to cut off a 9 year olds genitalia!!!" with 500 likes. My theory is they have tweaked the algorithm in a way that rewards comments that cause fighting and clapbacks, which in turn boosts the horrible comment to the very top even if it's not the most popular reply.

Edited by TheCheshireCat

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.