Avril's label gave her 6 months to record "Under My Skin". Shook?

naval23

Like 6 months and she gave us this masterpiece :jonnycat:

My Happy Ending was the last single recorded and when she told her label she has the lead single, they told her no we're going with "Don't Tell Me" :rip:

The first album was so successful that Lavigne says she only had six months to write 2004’s Under My Skin: “They made me put it out before I was ready.” She and co-writer Butch Walker kept writing until the last minute, producing the bittersweet grunge anthem My Happy Ending. “I called them and I said: ‘Guys, I have the first single.’ They’re like: ‘No, we’re going with Don’t Tell Me.’” Arista led with their choice but Lavigne was right: My Happy Ending peaked higher and sold almost three times as many copies.

• Like 1

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hiatus

• naval23

• WavesOfLust

• Eat The Acid

we can tell, that's why she hates it too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She definitely works extremely well under pressure, because that album is a masterpiece. 

• Like 9

Bullying sometimes work I guess coz that's her best album to date. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

and now she takes like 3 years to come up with... head above water

crazy :deadbanana:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

12 minutes ago, uusagii said:

Thank you Chantal Kreviazuk :clap3:

Let me stream "All I Can Do" to give the good sis some coins for helping this masterpiece 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, uusagii said:

Thank you Chantal Kreviazuk :clap3:

I love Chantal's TikToks she does giving the backstory to songs she's written and worked on - she has a few 'Under My Skin' ones you should watch if you haven't already! 

• Like 2

She gave us a masterpiece in a very short time :jonny2:  Avril is so talented 

My Happy Ending probably her best song ever I fear :flame:

• Like 1

They could have done with a few weeks of reviewing the lyrics and upgrading the quality of them. The album overall is excellent but the lyrics need work and the production needed polishing. 

Back then an album being out really impacted the singles chances of success. My Happy Ending would have been twice as big if it had been the lead and would have catapulted Under My Skin era to Let Go level success. They should have followed Let Go formula. 

1. mid tempo: My Happy Ending

2. Upbeat: He Wasn’t 

3. Ballad: How Does it Feel 

4. Rock: Don’t Tell Me 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, WavesOfLust said:

I love Chantal's TikToks she does giving the backstory to songs she's written and worked on - she has a few 'Under My Skin' ones you should watch if you haven't already! 

Link!

Honestly my least favorite from her :doc:

The chorus for most of the tracks should have been doubled. Together, Forgotten, Who Knows in particular seem like they only have half a chorus. 

How Does It Feel is so slow that Avril herself said she doesn't do it live because she straight up thinks the audience would be bored. 

The fact MHE is the only track to have a unique producer (all the others are by someone else), and that one is considered the best on the album, + the fact DTM is a Let Go reject (also one of the better tracks on here), speaks volume on the state the album was in. 

Also, why was this not on the tracklist? Hands down the best from UMS sessions.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Love this album 

29 minutes ago, WavesOfLust said:

Did she talk about the drama around Avril's writing credits for this album? I remember a few people from UMS production apparently tried to sue Avril because they were shocked to see her in the writing credits on the album :deadbanana4:

• Confused 1

My dad used to steal my copy of the album and play it in his car. He was a My Happy Ending stan 

• Haha 2

There's a tear-off mini poster included in the booklet and I had it taped on my door

And my extremely Catholic mother threw it in the bin because she thought it was Satanic :ahh:

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, PoKiTaurus said:

Did she talk about the drama around Avril's writing credits for this album? I remember a few people from UMS production apparently tried to sue Avril because they were shocked to see her in the writing credits on the album :deadbanana4:

She only briefly acknowledges the drama but doesn’t delve into it, she just simply states that she knows everyone thinks they’ve got beef but that she loves Avril  

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMj19KoMF/

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Eat The Acid said:

Back then an album being out really impacted the singles chances of success. My Happy Ending would have been twice as big if it had been the lead and would have catapulted Under My Skin era to Let Go level success. They should have followed Let Go formula. 

1. mid tempo: My Happy Ending

2. Upbeat: He Wasn’t 

3. Ballad: How Does it Feel 

4. Rock: Don’t Tell Me 

The era would be over after the first single then ala Miley's "Endless Summer Vacation" then

• Haha 1

Is 6 months very short? It seems a little on the shorter side, but not that short. It should be plenty of time to make an album, especially if you have the resources of a major label. 6 months is a very long time

B day was recorded in 28 days, and it shows, the problem wasn't time for Avril, the pop rock scene was crowded: Hilary, Ashlee, Michelle, Kelly, even Pink and Xtina had rockish singles.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PMKARDASHIAN said:

My dad used to steal my copy of the album and play it in his car. He was a My Happy Ending stan 

:deadbanana2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.