Is Taylor Swift an LGBT+ icon?

Galaxy

?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yes
    • No

I don't consider her one, but I also wouldn't judge anyone for doing so. The requirements to being one have become more and more nebulous as the years have passed, and are always going to influenced by personal experiences.

Would I, a gay man, consider her a gay icon? No, certainly not in the same way Madonna or Gaga are. But I also know lesbians who consider her a gay icon and believe that her lyrics are sapphic-coded (either on purpose or by accident).

• Like 2

She’s remained silent about anti trans legislation whilst holding the strongest social currency that any pop star has had in a long time, so no.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

No, she's not. You can be popular with the gays and not be an icon. Most female pop stars are this.

• Like 1

I do think that she is considered one by many young Gen Z queer people and sapphics love her a lot, but yeah Virgos Groove said it all above basically. Not everyone is gonna be a gay icon.

No, her level of vocal is the bare minimum, especially nowadays when it's considered "safe". But I'm straight so it's not my place to talk :heart:

• Like 1

she disqualified herself from that title when she released you need to calm down

if she really wanted to be one she’s gotta do the pre requisite and be a guest judge on drag race (a night of a thousand taylor swift’s/ the taylor swift musical going through her eras would be so fun) 

she’s gained a large sapphic audience so maybe for the lesbians yeah, just not in the gay man demographic

yes, tbt to when she wrote "Go and tell your friends that I'm obsessive and crazy, that's fine; I'll tell mine you're gay"

• Thumbs Down 1

8 minutes ago, vinster13 said:

She’s remained silent about anti trans legislation whilst holding the strongest social currency that any pop star has had in a long time, so no.

Tea

She has more lesbian stans than all the other mpgs combined...:sistrens:

LGBT doesnt just include gay men, you know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

when i think of LGBT icon, i think of Cher, Janet Jackson, Grace Jones, Madonna. Not taylor swift…

she's not "colorful wigs, controversial interviews, half-naked men in her videos, extravagant looks, intense dance moves" kind of LGBTQ+ icon.

she's beloved by many queers all around the world, including myself. and you know that gay men are not the only members of the LGBTQ+ community, right?

she has the population of lesbians in a chokehold.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

littlebodybigheart

not really, no

she’s very big amongst the lesbian community though

Edited by littlebodybigheart
  • Thumbs Down 1

27 minutes ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

Gay people are probably those who listen to Taylor Swift the less.

Well, LGBT does not mean Gay people, fortunately. 

My answer is no. She has been a slightly below average ally and most likely isn't queer.

I don't know for the non binaries etc.

Queer men most likely think she's okay, but not a queer icon the same as Madonna or Lady Gaga.

Queer women either love her or hate her. No in between.

It's crazy cause like 4 or 5 years ago I was the only queer woman in my group of friends that liked her and now they all stan her. Even my closest friend who's a die hard Arianator loves her now and before she couldn't care less when I kept blabbering about her music. 

• Thumbs Down 1

The Kaylor/Gaylor community is probably bigger than certain pop girls entire LGBTQ+ fanbase but let's not go there. :eli:

• Thumbs Down 1

Why wouldn't a member of the LGBTQ be a LGBTQ icon? :celestial5:

no, she is a MAGA icon

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.