Best debut single: Backstreet Boys vs NSYNC

okgo

Best debut single  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Best debut single

• BSB
    • NSYNC

I prefer NSYNC's debut single, but BSB washed them easily afterwards.

Edited by blown away
  • Like 8

'you're all I ever wanted, you're all I ever needed

so tell me what to do now 

when I want 

you 

BACK!'

16165033e7b35be038559dbca0b7b4d774072e44

• Thanks 2

Backstreet Boys is better....but I gotta go with I Want You Back on this one. 

• Like 2

BSB overall but I Want You Back and Tearin Up My Heart >>>>>

• Like 1

*NSYNC peaked with their debut single. Didn’t come close to touching that sort of brilliance again. JC bodies the second verse — his voice is a rich tomato paste to Justin’s V8 juice. And I haven’t even mentioned this European cut of the video, which features some of the most “inventive” choreography ever performed. What’s not to love?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick said:

*NSYNC peaked with their debut single. Didn’t come close to touching that sort of brilliance again. JC bodies the second verse — his voice is a rich tomato paste to Justin’s V8 juice. And I haven’t even mentioned this European cut of the video, which features some of the most “inventive” choreography ever performed. What’s not to love?

I think they peaked with Bye bye bye and it’s gonna be me but I also felt at the time that they were overall the more polished and more commercial boyband. BSB we’re more rough around the edges.

17 hours ago, Patrick said:

'Celebrity' sold 1.8 million in it's first week in 2001. 

'Want You Back' came out in 1996.

:toofunny2:

BSB ate *NSYNC in every way possible. I still have no idea how N was more popular 

Okay, this is truly hard for me because both boybands marked my childhood, but honestly, I think BSB's debut single, "We've Got It Goin' On", is the best.

I feel like no one would've voted for it but I should've included this Max Martin-boyband debut single smasha too for recognition purposes

BSB's. IWYB might as well be a BSB reject like Tearin' Up My Heart was.

1 hour ago, mons†er said:

'Celebrity' sold 1.8 million in it's first week in 2001. 

'Want You Back' came out in 1996.

:toofunny2:

Peaked musically. I’m not talking about a commercial peak.

Judging by their singles discography alone, NSYNC stomps imo. If I'm honest the only BSB single I remember genuinely enjoying are Larger Than Life and Incomplete. 

NSYNC by far. 

On 8/19/2023 at 6:29 PM, blown away said:

I prefer NSYNC's debut single, but BSB washed them easily afterwards.

On 8/19/2023 at 6:57 PM, jdmc219 said:

Backstreet Boys is better....but I gotta go with I Want You Back on this one. 

On 8/19/2023 at 7:05 PM, JBJT2786 said:

BSB overall but I Want You Back and Tearin Up My Heart >>>>>

12 hours ago, Darkgalord said:

Backstreet Boys has better discography overall but IWYB STOMPS easily :WAP:

12 hours ago, PMKARDASHIAN said:

BSB ate *NSYNC in every way possible. I still have no idea how N was more popular 

Where? NSYNC was better at harmonizing (which a group is supposed to be able to do) and had better vocalists. Even Boyz II Men (which both groups were modeled after) said their vocals were superior. They were also better at performing. The only capable singer in BSB was Brian (and maybe AJ) but that didn't last long. This attempt at harmonizing by Howie and Brian is just awful. They're like a amateur parody of Boyz II Men:

BSB just had better ballads and way more albums.

3 hours ago, Inverted said:

NSYNC by far. 

Where? NSYNC was better at harmonizing (which a group is supposed to be able to do) and had better vocalists. Even Boyz II Men (which both groups were modeled after) said their vocals were superior. They were also better at performing. The only capable singer in BSB was Brian (and maybe AJ) but that didn't last long. This attempt at harmonizing by Howie and Brian is just awful. They're like a amateur parody of Boyz II Men:

BSB just had better ballads and way more albums.

The quality of NSYNC's music is way inferior to BSB. Their ballads aren't as good, like you said, but also their uptempo and midtempo songs don't match the heights of Everybody, Larger Than Life, Incomplete and The Call. I find their music way more consistent as well. I can listen to an album like Black & Blue and Never Gone from start to end, which I unfortunately can't with any NSYNC album.

That's not said that NSYNC's music is bottom of the barrel. I still bop to I Want You Back, Tearing Up My Heart, Bye Bye Bye, It's Gonna Be Me, Pop and others.

Spoiler

Let me make a comparison with some more recent groups. Little Mix had better harmonies and chemistry than Fifth Harmony, but I still prefer the latter's music despite bopping to multiple LM songs.

On 8/21/2023 at 5:25 AM, blown away said:

The quality of NSYNC's music is way inferior to BSB. Their ballads aren't as good, like you said, but also their uptempo and midtempo songs don't match the heights of Everybody, Larger Than Life, Incomplete and The Call. I find their music way more consistent as well. I can listen to an album like Black & Blue and Never Gone from start to end, which I unfortunately can't with any NSYNC album.

That's not said that NSYNC's music is bottom of the barrel. I still bop to I Want You Back, Tearing Up My Heart, Bye Bye Bye, It's Gonna Be Me, Pop and others.

Reveal hidden contents

Let me make a comparison with some more recent groups. Little Mix had better harmonies and chemistry than Fifth Harmony, but I still prefer the latter's music despite bopping to multiple LM songs.

I agree with most of your post except the part in bold. NSYNC's uptempo hits like I Want You Back, Tearin Up My Heart, Bye Bye Bye and It's Gonna Be Me stomp on Everybody, Larger than the Life and The Call. No competition in that department or in performing ability and harmonizing.

BSB just has the advantage when it becomes to albums and ballads because they just have so much more of them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.