Can am album age poorly and still have amazing recurrent streams?

naval23

Which one?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Can an album age poorly and have amazing recurrent streams?

• Yes! Being dated can still be streamed like no tomorrow
    • No - if it's getting streamed by the masses, it's timeless not dated

Dated is not inherently a bad thing, it just means it sounds like the era it came from (or before).

Those big 80s rock songs have no place in today's music landscape, but they're still undeniable classics and crowd pleasers. Same thing with mid-90s AC balladeering or the late-90s wave of teen pop.

There is very little "timeless" music, some just ages better than other.

Edited by Virgos Groove
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CaptainMusic said:

I Want It That Way

You better not use this classic as example :rip:

It ages better than Jensen Ackles

FDOwRzxXsAI6Vle.jpg

• Confused 3

Yes. Because then they become nostalgic. And people still stream old music, more so than new music. 

Only a few albums can be play right now and sound current, the rest are dated, but people still listen to them, cause new doesn't mean better.

I don't necessarily believe in the concept of an album "aging poorly." Though, I feel like an album can age exceptionally well. There are albums that sound like the time in which it was from, like Prince & The Revolution's Purple Rain or Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814. Does that make them any worse than any other album out there that's newly released? Absolutely not. Though an album can transcend time and sound like it's current, like Aaliyah's self-titled album.

Good music is simply good music. Whether we're talking about music that was made and released 40 years ago, or something that was released just yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A majority of music, especially pop music, ages in some way or another. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Art is oftentimes a product of its time. And while aspects of a song may not sound or come off as great later, said song can still be good or have aged well overall.

And the idea that something is automatically good or of more inherent value if it's popular isn't a strong argument. Its literally the bandwagon fallacy. Not saying that songs/albums having strong recurrent consumption years later isn't significant, but that doesn't automatically make something good or music that got more forgotten with time bad. 

• Like 1

From your definition the answers is no: if you already said the song aged poorly it means for a modern listener it's not exciting anymore.

Then if you mean "a sound that sound very much like its era can be a success?". Well of course, classics exists. 

we call now centuries of music as "classic music" but it's not all the same . Mozart music sounds specifically of an era, Bach music of his era. They sound different.

The intro of Le nozze di Figaro  by Mozart is still exciting for our ears now even if it sounds very 1785, I will survive by Gloria Gaynor is still exciting for our ears even if it sounds very 1975.

This is just a 2017 song and i bet his streams are terrible cause it sounds very 2017 but i a bad way,  it aged poorly and not as one of the most significative songs of that era or of this genre

ok: i check out (100k streams daily as i thought)

Edited by vale9001

Of course. Madonna’s early hits have aged terribly (which, contrary what 16 year olds on stan twitter will tell you, is a completely neutral term) but they are classics for a reason and continued to drive her sales and get decent streams to this day.

3 hours ago, ScorpiosGroove said:

yes look at Teenage Dream 

Came here to say this :clap3: TD is still great but quite a few of the songs have aged like milk.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 12:39 PM, DamianSolo said:

I don't necessarily believe in the concept of an album "aging poorly." Though, I feel like an album can age exceptionally well. There are albums that sound like the time in which it was from, like Prince & The Revolution's Purple Rain or Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814. Does that make them any worse than any other album out there that's newly released? Absolutely not. Though an album can transcend time and sound like it's current, like Aaliyah's self-titled album.

Good music is simply good music. Whether we're talking about music that was made and released 40 years ago, or something that was released just yesterday.

As a die-hard fanatic of Jessica Simpson, yes to every-damn-thang. Your take is undeniably universal. I cosign everything to the Gods and beyond. :heart:

S/N: Rest in glorious power, Prince & Aaliyah. I’m streaming the latter’s discography as we speak. We love you forever, Baby-Girl.:sosad:

spacer.png

Edited by stipidstid
Skipped a crucial, bleached-blonde detail.
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 12:37 AM, Devin said:

yes look at Lover

yes look at Devin’s post.

The answer is Lover.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.