Was “Born This Way” ahead of it’s time?

ImsoLOUD

Was “Born This Way” ahead of its time?   

65 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• it’s a yes I fear
    • it’s a no me thinks

After seeing several of my students scream the lyrics to “Bloody Mary”, I was inspired to return to these hymns for the first time in years: 

Several songs from this era are still resonating with the new generation(s). Was this album ahead of its time? 

Edited by ImsoLOUD
quotations

Yes. So many of the themes that were seen as radical at the time are now widely accepted and promoted in mainstream culture. Sonically as well - BTW stood alone in the 2011 pop music soundscape, and many of its sounds now resonate with the younger generation of artists and listeners alike. There’s a reason why BM, Judas, and GH all had viral moments on TikTok 

Edited by luckythisway
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

ahead of it's time? no.

incredible for the time? yes.

• Like 2

It was a little bit ahead of its time and definitely existed in its own space. It wasn’t like anything else out there. 

It’s still a solid body of work and her absolute best in many ways. 

Subject wise it kinda was, it touched on a lot of things not just being gay

• Like 1

Yes, it came out before songs like God Is A Woman were considered tame and You Need To Calm Down and Same Love became moderate hits. Pop music hadn’t tackled so many societal issues head on this way since Madonna and MJ. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dated on arrival

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

Absolutely, its honestly shocking how well it did back in 2011. It's honestly a classic. 

6 minutes ago, byzantium said:

Not really.  Its sounded sonically of its period. 

What 2011 albums sound like Born This Way?

• Haha 1

It doesnt sound fresh in 2023, no

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

What 2011 albums sound like Born This Way?

I don’t really care to play the game of listing examples for you to just say something like “how could you seriously think those sound similar”.  But the synth pop sound of the album was very much popular in the early 2010s BECAUSE lady Gaga herself popularized the sound earlier.  

Edited by byzantium

I love this album but this song is simply a beautiful, firework, & Madonna rip off. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

my parents tried 

til they got divorced cause I 

ruined their lives…. :WAP:

Why wasn’t this a single? 

• Like 1

I don't think Gaga has ever released something ahead of it's time 

And there's nothing bad about it  

Songs being successfull in the tiktok era years later have nothing to do with being foward thinking. Lizzo's songs were basic af and were hits years later 

• Thanks 1

yes, and Katy rush released Firework, Kesha with WRWWR once they got wind Gaga was dropping an empowerment anthem with her  iconic announcement of Born This Way at the VMAs

• Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.