YouTube begins mass takedowns of medical misinformation in massive policy overhaul

Espresso

They better not remove Shakira’s “Hips Don’t Lie” :gaycat:

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, BionicWooHoo said:

Hmmm 🤔 does this extend to wrong misinformation about vaccines

They were already taking those down during lockdowns

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, =NEX= said:

Will that include homeopathy? 

If it promotes homeopathy in place of medical treatment and discourages seeking medical treatment, then I would assume so.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

• ATRL Moderator

:lakitu: they should apply these to some of the companies they let advertise on youtube related to nutrition/ fitness

• Like 1

They can start with that “Dr.” Berg quack.

• Thanks 1

If it’s about vaccines and anti-science misinformation then I’m all for it

If it’s about holistic or alternative medicine then this is very very problematic.

35 minutes ago, =NEX= said:

Will that include homeopathy? 

Officially Homeopathy never claims to be able to treat cancer, so I can see only contents claiming that being taken down, but not general homeopathy treatments for other issues.

Can they snipe out that flavcity guy and all those "food influencers" who go through grocery stores calling everything toxic just to release their own products with the same ingredients??? :ahh:

1 hour ago, Mr_campbell said:

another reason why tiktok will continue to flourish. 

so will youtube.  You don't go to TikTok to watch a 5 minute video. 

5 hours ago, spree said:

so will youtube.  You don't go to TikTok to watch a 5 minute video. 

Long form content is flourishing on TikTok

8 minutes ago, Mr_campbell said:

Long form content is flourishing on TikTok

not like Youtube tho, lbr.  Youtube will always be king for long form.  You act like Youtube is gonna be like MySpace.   YouTube is still the #2 website in the world.

• Like 1

TikTok needs to do the same. There are so many crackpot "doctors" on that app...

While I did not read the new policy and absolutely am all about taking down nonsense medical information that could hurt others, I don't think it could hurt too much to allow it, BUT put warnings on videos/require people who make said content to make statements about how that information is not verified/backed up. I mean straight up scamming stuff/outright dangerous stuff I get. But if people just want to talk about their experience with maybe something herbal that helped them I don't see the harm depending on the context. But I do agree better safe than sorry

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.