Moving to NYC, any tips and recommendations?

TheArgonaut

Coming up on my 10th year! Anything you wanna know, specifically?

• Like 1

I mean the same logic applies to moving to any city

It's great if you're rich

If you're not rich, be careful of any area that's not a rich area

12 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

I mean the same logic applies to moving to any city

It's great if you're rich

….

• Haha 1

What do you want to know?  NYC is huge, your experience will depend heavily on where you live, the people you hang with, your income, etc.

Edited by Archetype

WELCOME! Get excited to be poor

Where will you live?

• Like 1

Do not make eye contact with the rats. :heart:

Girl out of all the states you are going to NYC? Girl....

Live in Hells Kitchen if you want to be near yuppy white gays who go to fire island and boozy brunch every weekend 

Chelsea and west village also gay but also slightly older and richer. 

Williamsburg/bushwick if you wanna be gay and artsy and like alternative or whatever 

• Haha 2

You're moving to New York City? Are you rich? If not, good luck. It's very dangerous in the areas that you can (barely) afford if not rich and you'll be living in a overpriced dump or a studio bedroom.

You should live somewhere affordable outside of the city and just go to the city for work or whenever you need to work. That's what I'd do.

If you're rich tho, have fun!

Edited by JustHoran

I lived there for a couple years and actually enjoyed it, despite being rather poor. What do you wanna know specifically though?

Get used to being in the subway all the time, is the first thing you need to lear to move around

If you live in a higher floor I recommend ordering groceries from amazon or the likes to avoid carrying everything in the streets

Get used to strangers eating with you as close as any of your friend or people coming with you, every place lacks space

1 hour ago, Saintlor said:

7 minutes ago, JustHoran said:

It's very dangerous in the areas that you can (barely) afford if not rich 

um :biblio:

obviously crime is concerningly up here but this is not it .......

This thread is so negative :deadbanana4:

There are sacrifices but living in NY is transformative- it’ll change you majorly and the access to culture alone on your doorstep.  No offense to rest of the country but the hustle of life here makes everywhere else feel like a breeze :cm:

I really think everyone should at least spend some time here if the means are available

• ATRL Moderator
16 minutes ago, JustHoran said:

You're moving to New York City? Are you rich? If not, good luck. It's very dangerous in the areas that you can (barely) afford if not rich and you'll be living in a overpriced dump or a studio bedroom.

You should live somewhere affordable outside of the city and just go to the city for work or whenever you need to work. That's what I'd do.

If you're rich tho, have fun!

The dramatics. New York is not any more dangerous than most cities around the world and is safer than ton of major cities in the US.

10 minutes ago, Trent W said:

Get used to being in the subway all the time, is the first thing you need to lear to move around

If you live in a higher floor I recommend ordering groceries from amazon or the likes to avoid carrying everything in the streets

Get used to strangers eating with you as close as any of your friend or people coming with you, every place lacks space

So... get used to big city living? :dies:

New York is dense but it's a lot to easier to get some space than what you're saying, especially if you leave Manhattan (which also has numerous parks all around the island).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kayseri Mantisi said:

Never play this song out loud in NYC unless you wanna be killed! :cm:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.