How important is it to learn a new language in 2023?

Darkgalord

My mother language is Spanish, 2nd language is English and currently learning Portuguese.

Should learning a new language be an absolute necessity and priority in modern society? 

I'm asking because some people literally don't care at all and just use translators. 

:celestial5:

As long as you know English and Spanish, I'd say you're fine.

It depends where you live. Here in the USA it’s not that important, though certain areas can see benefits from knowing Spanish or even Mandarin/French/German in specific fields, but the vast majority of people don’t learn second languages. I don’t want to be like other Americans though, so I’m B2 in French and A1 in Spanish :giraffe:

Speaking a new language does wonders to the way the brain is wired.

• Like 5

I'm having a difficult time learning now.

Wish it was implamented more in school

not just "want to learn Spanish or French pick 1"

I'd like to learn sign language but I'm too clumsy.

I could maybe try Japanese as a 3rd language since my brain can recognize some words/expressions because of anime.

Well, depends. If you only want to live in your home country, it's not that necessary, although the lack of language skills can hold you back from certain job opportunities. But if you want to emgirate and go live somewhere else, it's good to learn the local language and customs.

giphy.gif

I think it's always important tbh, especially if you're planning to emigrate/visit many countries around the world/have international friends. I'd love to speak as many languages as I could in the future. I speak 3 but would love to learn Spanish properly (I can barely remember a few words/phrases from HS) and German hopefully. :gaycat6:

Depends on where you live. I speak French and English due to european job opportunities; if you live in US learning Spanish and English can work wonders in the job environment. 

4 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

I think it's always important tbh, especially if you're planning to emigrate/visit many countries around the world/have international friends. I'd love to speak as many languages as I could in the future. I speak 3 but would love to learn Spanish properly (I can barely remember a few words/phrases from HS) and German hopefully. :gaycat6:

As a native Spanish speaker, I totally understand why some people are so afraid of learning Spanish. :gaycat6:

English is so easy and not complicated at all. 

3 minutes ago, Darkgalord said:

As a native Spanish speaker, I totally understand why some people are so afraid of learning Spanish. :gaycat6:

English is so easy and not complicated at all. 

Nnn I actually wish I committed to it when I had those classes in HS. Still love it tho. :gaycat6:

And yeah I really think English was the easiest to learn for me. I find it much easier than Arabic which is literally my mother language. :skull:

• Like 1

Portuguese (BR) 10/10, English 9/10 and Spanish 7/10 and i don't have a lot of interest of learning new languages tbh. I can go basically anywhere (both travel & career-wise). It's good for the brain tho but i don't see how 4, 5 languages would do anything for me. I think it would just make sense for very few careers and it's not my case. 

Edited by Selegend

It really depends. I think everyone should learn a language and schools should do more to implement it. It's good for developing cultural understanding and developing the brain. At the same time, learning another language is difficult especially as you get older and many working adults don't have time/resources and in a lot of countries, it's often something inaccessible to working class people unless they already speak a different language at home. 

• Like 1

Where I live, it's becoming necessary—especially if you're in a position where you work with the public. We've had a massive influx of Spanish-speaking residents within the past several years.

VERY, I know Mandarin/English and I'm trying to learn Spanish :foxaylove:

Im native portuguese and I can speak german, english, french and spanish. Thinking about learning Mandarin. It’s always nice to learn new languages, especially if you have the means to go to the respective countries and immerse yourself in their culture. Be strategic with them too if you’re looking for opportunities. I learned german for educational reasons (masters), english for hegemonic reasons (i mean…), french for professional reasons and spanish for geopolitical reasons (all of our neighboring countries speak the language). Demand for mandarin speakers is currently high in the job market. 

If you know English you don't need to learn any other language 

6 hours ago, playboi said:

If you know English you don't need to learn any other language 

You should be able to at least speak 3 languages. Otherwise you are doing yourself a disfavor. 

Native Spanish Speaker and learning English was really the best thing i ever done. It changed my perspective and world vision so much.
Been thinkin about learning German cause i love the language or maybe french.
I would also would love to learn or some Standard Chinese (Cause china is gettin so powerful) :gaycat:

I’m beyond envious of people who are multilingual. I have some degree of understanding for Spanish but am going to learn Portuguese for my Portugal trip next year

Spoiler

And for when I flee the country if DeSantis is elected.

For sure learning languages makes you much more flexible when it comes to professional life, especially if you are open to relocation. A family friend studied Arabic and is now temporarily moving to Middle East to work there (earning much more than he currently does). It has also helped him with some investments and such.

Social/cultural wise: it depends. If there is a specific country or culture you are interested in, learning its language would definitely help you go far deeper. It can also help while travelling or making friends.

yes. learn Mandarin for when China invades the world

I'm learning French for fun. Anyone visits Insitut Francais?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.