Why the rerecordings of Taylor's albums are eclipsing releases of newer pop albums?

Just a Gay on ATRL

I do NOT mean this to be shady and would like to have a genuine discussion on this, please. So this is not the thread to throw petty shade or feel very attacked.

I think it's fair to objectively state that Taylor's re-recordings have been some of the biggest pop events of the 2020s so far, with no signs of that stopping. They are opening w/ nearly 2/3s of their original albums' release weeks years ago. Essentially, if you really think about it, she is just serving updated artwork, new productions and updated vocals of tracks the fans have already had for years, and some new "vault" bonus tracks as treats for the fans. But we already know the vast majority of what we're getting and not exactly getting much actual new content.

Despite the majority of these TVs being material the fans already have, they are blowing newer pop albums numbers out of the water by a wide margin (for the most part). SN TV has already sold over 1M. Is this simply another statement on Taylor's incredible selling power and/OR is indicative of fellow popstars not being able to get fans engaged enough to sell quite like her? Taylor has outsold her peers for going on 15 years at this point, that is no secret, but what is it about her TVs that is getting the fans completely perched unlike newer pop albums? Would anyone else be able to get their updated versions of older albums to sell like this? How can the newer girls or Taylor's peers in the industry get their fans to get engaged like this, what could they learn from this?

Most popstars don't put out good content

Miley had the stage set for her but she served underwhelming album. 

It's not Taylor fault that she is dominating but more like other popstars just chasing a hit and moving on 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Idk but I feel like almost anyone else who re released would flop hard

• Like 1

I just feel 90% sure she's doing a Selena Gomez feature for 1989 TV.

This question is two parts: 1) Why Taylor Swift albums are so successful in general and 2) Why the re-recordings are have done strong numbers (even though far weaker than Taylor studio albums). 

The first question is a complex one we can talk about if you would like, but at the end of the day, Taylor Swift albums are phenomenally successful. 

As for the second question, Taylor’s longevity is unrivaled because she has continued to build a new fanbase and draw new people into her world.  The re-recordings give people an opportunity to experience an era if they did not live through it or follow her during that era.

For the fans that did live through it, it is a chance to rediscover the music and relive a moment. 

Time, storytelling / relatability and good songwriting with the obvious addition of catchy melodies. All of these components combined to create a huge fan base following over the years (let’s bare in mind she’s been doing this since 2006). There’s the obvious cancellation post-1989 which massively hurt her career but she recovered by taking time away from the public eye and coming back with quality music and leaning into the narrative. Of course, the true resurrection wasn’t until folklore / evermore, but there was also the whole ‘Karma’ 🤭 around the truth actually coming out too - which naturally didn’t get as much attention. 

She’s had years at this, and she’s worked hard at creating relatable, quality, well-written and catchy music. Fan engagement on her behalf has always been top tier too which only helped in creating the massive fan base she has. Combine her GP appeal with an already established fanbase and there’s just really not much room for failure here. It was a sure fire bet. I’m bias, because I’ve stanned her since speak now (I think I was 14?). But, I think she’s just a true enigma / lightening in a bottle moment of how to become the perfect pop star. She’s earned it. 

• Like 4

Just now, byzantium said:

Why the re-recordings are have done strong numbers (even though far weaker than Taylor studio albums). 

This feels like a strange statement to make. The re-releases aren't here to match the original chart-run, because we've all heard the music. They're here to soak up the decades of consumption still to come. They ARE the studio albums.

Her fanbase will eat up anything she releases, which is why she has been so successful generally.

In terms of the re-recordings, I think their success is a combination both of the strong fanbase she has but also the media narrative around their release - the reason they exist after all is because she didn't have the opportunity to own her masters. So everyone who purchases/listens is doing so not only because they like Taylor's music but because it's also a big FU to the powers at be that screwed her over.

Taylor has sold millions and millions copies of those albums and a lot of those bought them are her loyal fans. If I was a loyal fan, I would run immediately to get a copy of a re-recording of the albums from my most favorite artists I loved in the past. 

Also, Taylor has gained a lot of newer fans now so they would also be interested in purchasing her re-recordings plus some casual listeners.

Edited by Jude

Comparing TVs as a benchmark is challenging. Artists rarely re-record albums, and if they do, it's typically not on the scale of Taylor Swift's efforts, nor as widely promoted (e.g. no "Vault" songs, music videos, or extensive marketing campaigns).

The success of these re-recordings is unsurprising, given their strong sales history. While not easy to accomplish, they encourage re-consumption, even for existing owners, supported by valid reasons. Vinyl releases further incentivize new purchases.

Historically, classic movies re-released in theaters have demonstrated increased box office revenue. For instance, recent examples include the successful re-release of Avatar and Return of the Jedi.

Well, she has a big white cult behind her + ateam that pleases all of her obsessions, so even if you don't like her stuff you get spammed with whatever content she's putting out...

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

I think it's just people jumping on the bandwagon

• Like 1

bc people outside of the US are discovering Taylor's discography as she was a NON FACTOR for most of her career and her only global era was 1989. :bird:

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hexchromatica said:

There are plenty of blonde and white pop stars. Why aren't they matching Taylor commercially?

Well besides the obvious answers like Taylor being light years ahead of everyone else in terms of omnipresence and commercial success, I think the pop girls just aren’t trying anymore. Taylor really is the only one that truly does care about her music 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RobynYoBank said:

This feels like a strange statement to make. The re-releases aren't here to match the original chart-run, because we've all heard the music. They're here to soak up the decades of consumption still to come. They ARE the studio albums.

That was the point I was making.  I was saying that while they are doing well, they are still nowhere near her new studio releases. 

6 hours ago, Outlaws said:

ateam that pleases all of her obsessions

Maybe other ateams should take notice!

11 minutes ago, Arrows said:

Maybe other ateams should take notice!

I agree! But like 30% of it is enough. The rest is... obsession as I said :)

7 hours ago, Ms. Togekiss said:

Well besides the obvious answers like Taylor being light years ahead of everyone else in terms of omnipresence and commercial success, I think the pop girls just aren’t trying anymore. Taylor really is the only one that truly does care about her music 

I agree with this to be honest. 

The monopoly of pop music, we need a streams redistribution quick :bam:

Well this didn't happen overnight

Taylor is reaping the benefits of having a loyal and big fanbase for almost 20 years, all of her peers from the same time failed to do that for different reasons and the newer ones are still building their fanbase.

The same reason Disney live action remakes were outgrossing most original movies for a stretch. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.