Music execs "depressed" about not being able to break new popstars: Billboard

Beyonnaise

Lack of Investment

Labels no longer invest in talent. Too many untalented people are at the forefront. There’s a lack of artists out there that are connecting with multiple generations. Back in the day the big stars appealed to almost any age group. 

Monoculture is DEAD

1. Streaming has taken over

2. Social media and the internet 

3. There’s no longer TRL, 106 & Park, and music videos being played on television.

4. As much as everyone hates radio on this site…it’s actually one of the few tools we have left to pierce the zeitgeist. We just need less politics and more diversity. 

Celebrity Access and Image

1. There’s no longer any mystique. We have to much access to their everyday lives.

2. Many of the artists being promoted now lack media training and mostly care about catching a bag.

Edited by monologueNacafe
  • Like 6

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JayG

• Chemist

• popularmoonlight

• Badgalbriel

2 hours ago, fijitears said:

We’re tired. Give the people PRETTY and TALENTED girls and steal the K-pop formula. We don’t want actual kpop in the states now….

THIS :alexz:

Well, Tinashe was right there :isudumblmao:

karma is a b*tch, uh

• Like 1

no but in a serious note, Zara Larsson, Sigrid and Dagny could still be extremely marketable.

Zara Larsson is literally 25. Sigrid is 25.

Because of lack of talent tbh.

The last great decade was 2010s.

Because these executives are old asf who don't understand the current social media era and what people want, i'm sure people my age would be better than some 60 year old executive at recognizing someone with a potential to become a big pop star

7 minutes ago, Luckitty said:

Because these executives are old asf who don't understand the current social media era and what people want, i'm sure people my age would be better than some 60 year old executive at recognizing someone with a potential to become a big pop star

Exactly, just like the dinosaurs running our countries... :skull: Imagine thinking a 60-70 year old person having TASTE when they are from an archaic generation that didnt even have the internet or tech :skull:

Edited by JayG

They're upset they can't make money off of someone to fill their greedy pockets?

:eek:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Asscatchem said:

newjeans is right there [2]

kpop stars are literally outselling all your faves in pure sales and ageTRL wants to pretend new stars dont exist anymore

i pushed a lot of boomer buttons with this post :fan:

even gaga agrees blackpink reignited pop superstars

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JayG said:

Because you're ignoring artists that have ACTUAL talent - Tinashe, Bonnie McKee, Normani, Tove Lo, Jon Bellion... theres TONS of artists out there who are incredible pop artists that they NEVER pushed or funded enough, and its YOUR FAULT, they never got what they deserved (in terms of label push) BECAUSE of you guys

Why did you put Normani in there? :skull:

She was PUSHED. She even had Calvin Harris in the first start of her career, Khalid AND Sam Smith, bagged MET gala appearance during her first career, multiple forced endorsement, industry backing and magazines + VMAs stages, booked tour with Ari, booked Lollapalooza.

She doesn't even promote her own music on her social media, ghosts her fans and acts mysterious as if she's beyonce :deadbanana4: It's not the label's fault, its HER.

• Like 11

I can’t say I have any complaints about this. The industry is always shifting and this period is no exception.

Remember back when they thought the idea of an album was ridiculous? Or even before that when “standards” were a thing and the songs were more famous than the people singing them? 

When live music became recorded music became cassettes, CDs, MP3’s, streams? The platinum selling era came and went. Music became more accessible than ever, now you can put a song on YouTube and have a hit by tomorrow. 

What we consider a pop icon has changed continually as well. Music is never gonna stay the same for too long, so I’d rather just see what develops! It’s a new damn day. 

• Like 6

This is mainly bc they expect artists to smash out of nowhere after a few stupid posts on TikTok, and that's not how it works

The flop and newcoming girls struggle to put out SINGLES, let alone albums. At most they release EPs or an album after 2 or 3 years and 5 singles :deadbanana4: they don't let them develop and grow a fanbase - and well, unlike K-pop artists where some girls stan them bc of their appearance even before a debut, everyone else needs to release music to connect with the fans.

And obviously, promo... they need exposure. Money has to be invested and they don't want to put their money on them. How can anyone discover new artists if they don't know about their existence?

8 minutes ago, Sexyzinger said:

Does Rina Sawayama still have a chance to smash in America? :dancehall:

Her sound wouldn’t mesh well in the US.  She’d need to be more experimental and have a proper promo campaign here for the avg person to pay attention to her.  I think John Wick was a great “introduction” to US audiences but they still don’t know her music.

• Like 3

Gaga warned us about this in 2014... "Is this all its about, **** and ass? Record labels have no money"

And Nicki warned us about this in 2018

• Like 1

Well music executives are too busy banking on quick lil viral artists on TikTok when there are people with incredible artistry and talent that get slept on, example Tinashe.

The streaming era is a weird era because music has been more accessible than ever. But then again the streaming era is almost a decade old and all we got right now is Lorde, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish, Cardi B, and Olivia Rodrigo.

• Like 1

I been for a long time researching about newcomers and new signed artists in the major labels and if you want me to be totally honest, so many of them are so basic. :gaycat6: Their visuals-aesthethics are so ZzZzZz and i feel like they could get a good loyal fanbase but not enough to grow as large as past artists.  I didnt get any "WOW" with any of these artists. So many of them feel very "tiktok" "tumbrl"  They also have horrible Stage names. This is a dealbreaker. Havin an interesting and catchy stage name is everything. So many of our major stars have great stage names :giraffe:

Labels are also signin a lot of Lana-Lorde-Billie-Halsey Copycats. Thats a big problem too. They should sign artists with a more classic vibe and poppier ones. Sign young Beyonce's-Gaga's-Shakira's instead :gaycat2::heart: but the real deal....more selective with the signings
Artists with a special unique vision. Not another predictable alternative artist.
Cool alt underground artists we can have tons of them and thats awesome.....But its time for the ones with MAINSTREAM Potential
Sign artists with performing skills-talent and something very authentic to them. 
Dont get tricked by their social media following. Look for artists with  attitude and charisma and creatively gifted
Also instead of giving us artists all over the place without a vision. Give us artists with a manufactured persona like Avril Lavigne-Early Katy Perry.... :gaycat4:

At the same time sometimes i feel like maybe the problem is the new generations taste? look like they dont even like music videos that much. Theyre just for tiktok and stuff. They like their artists to be minimal and simple and very human. They dont like divas. We need to get them more into Maximalism and Crazyness. The more the better.:gaycat3:

Edited by AvadaKedavra
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, jomarr said:

Well music executives are too busy banking on quick lil viral artists on TikTok when there are people with incredible artistry and talent that get slept on, example Tinashe.

The streaming era is a weird era because music has been more accessible than ever. But then again the streaming era is almost a decade old and all we got right now is Lorde, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish, Cardi B, and Olivia Rodrigo.

ALL TEA... this girl is a triple threat, has her own sound/lane, can do it ALL and produces/writes her OWN ****... how is a multitalented Queen like this NOT being pushed by a major label when she literally has a solid fanbase :skull:

• Like 1

JustLikeHoney

So basically they are saying that an artist can't just put one song out that sells 10 million albums through a mixture of buying radio rotations and dying their hair a "cool" color. So now they are frightened that they have to find singers with substance. 

I'm totally cool with this. Glad it's happening. It gave us Billie and Olivia and so far they have done a great job with quality music. Billie is probably going to not just get another Oscar nom but win an Oscar for that song on the Barbie soundtrack. It's phenomenal. 

Edited by JustLikeHoney

26 minutes ago, Asscatchem said:

i pushed a lot of boomer buttons with this post :fan:

even gaga agrees blackpink reignited pop superstars

Sad really that Asian acts will never be respected in Murikkka. And when we  finally have pop girls like Olivia who have asian descent, racistrl will choose to tear her down  :michael:

Oh well Murika is already losing it's power as the epicenter of pop culture anyway :foxaylove:

Edited by Odette Violet
  • Like 2

I do feel like it's monoculture being dead + music becoming more accessible for all that's led to the fragmentization of pop culture, and so you really can't garner influence to the same extent that popstars did in the 2010s

(This might also in part explain Last Night's lengthy reign of terror at #1-- country music is the least impacted by social media (look at the demographics of its listeners...) and thus less fragmented, and so it snags the largest plurality)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.