Better actress : Margot Robbie or Lady Gaga?

GentleDance

Better actress : Margot Robbie or Lady Gaga  

319 members have voted

1. 1. Better?

Both Best Actress nominees at the Oscars, which is difficult to get, not everybody has that. 

• Like 4

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Leptine

• bjorn

• Odeon

• Lovett

The landslide :deadbanana4:

• Thumbs Down 1

Anyway.

Threads like this and all the poor trolling attempts to downplay Gaga's achievements in acting make me chuckle because they're a resounding reminder of how so many people are seething about Gaga completely TOWERING above most, if not all, of their faves who have tried their hardest over the years to be taken seriously by the film industry only to be mocked, laughed at and get panned over and over again for their actual mediocre, rancid repeat attempts and dilettante-ish forays into the world of acting. 

Comments such as "she can't act!!", "she'll never be a serious actress!1!" are so absurd and laughable at this point considering not only her accolades so far but just the simple fact that she's among the highest paid actresses of the year and busy swiping roles previously portrayed by actresses such as Margot (who's the subject of comparison here) and from actresses such as Rooney Mara (before they zeroed in on Gaga as Harley for Joker 2)

She has already acted alongside heavyweights such as Kathy Bates, Al Pacino, Jeremy Irons and other seasoned actors with much bigger resumes and has still managed to more than hold her own in every single scene bagging notices from the audiences, critics and guilds alike. That alone is a testament to how great of an actor she is. She's what is called the classic "scene-stealer" in Hollywood. An actor so good and confident in their craft they pull focus away from everyone else in the scene. The extremely rare combination of talent, magnetism, and star power. She has a really long and promising career ahead of her in film, as long as she actively wants.

It's going to be a tough next couple of decades for the OGHs as they watch her fill stadium AND theatre seats globally, balancing two massive careers successfully and scaling unprecedented new heights in both music AND film.

giphy.gif

• Like 8
  • Thumbs Down 5

53 minutes ago, Taylena said:

There were a bunch of movies released during COVID that performed poorly or had average box office results, however nobody labels them as box office hits by meticulously analyzing the box office gross using highly specific criteria to make them appear successful. There's just no way House of Gucci made any money grossing $150M from a $75M budget. :rip:

Not when media outlets have pointed out that in first.

UoV64Tq.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kylizzle said:

Oppenheimer ended HOG tho. 

Well it was a matter of time since Covid and restrictions are basically over for good currently, it still is impressive that HOG managed to keep that result so far while being released during Omicron resurgence, it would have definitely performed better if released these days.

I like both, Margot is a much better actress.

Gaga was great in ASIB but she's not an incredible actress. She's a talented singer, tho.

Gaga has an Oscar and a BA nom. Margot has a version of Harley Quinn that flopped and was panned and Barbie.

• Thumbs Down 2

6 minutes ago, besaid said:

Gaga has an Oscar and a BA nom. Margot has a version of Harley Quinn that flopped and was panned and Barbie.

Margot is a 2x Oscar nominee, compared to Gaga's 1x nominee (we're talking acting, not music). :skull: This is such a disingenuous view of their careers. Plus Margot's version of Harley is by far the most iconic version of the character. Nice try.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

Margot is a 2x Oscar nominee, compared to Gaga's 1x nominee (we're talking acting, not music). :skull: This is such a disingenuous view of their careers. Plus Margot's version of Harley is by far the most iconic version of the character. Nice try.

It's true that both of them have been nominated for acting by the Academy. And Gaga has been nominated and won an Oscar for her musical contributions to film as well. Both of which are very hard to get and not everyone has despite numerous attempts at trying.

ATRL.thumb.gif.24667d6df421b70e27b5c916b

But Gaga's acting career is still in its infancy and its been awarded and successful thusfar. She doesn't have flops like Babylon or Birds of Prey to her name.

20 minutes ago, besaid said:

It's true that both of them have been nominated for acting by the Academy. And Gaga has been nominated and won an Oscar for her musical contributions to film as well. Both of which are very hard to get and not everyone has despite numerous attempts at trying.

But Gaga's acting career is still in its infancy and its been awarded and successful thusfar. She doesn't have flops like Babylon or Birds of Prey to her name.

Yes, with Margot being nominated twice. Gaga's musical achievements are irrelevant to a discussion about acting. Gaga does have Sin City: A Dame to Kill For on her resume though, which was a box office bomb. So to say she doesn't have flops is also disingenuous.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, flower moon said:

accidentally voted for gaga :deadbanana4:

Xnnxcnmcmmvmvmbm

7 hours ago, Leptine said:

Convenient of you not mentioning 'Amsterdam' 80M$ budget and 'Babylon' 70-80M$ budget which would make more sense to compare to HOG since they're rated R movies released post covid (actually no when it comes to HOG since there was Omicron) than 'Birds of Prey', with HOG almost doubling both movies box office combined, but as usual OGHs are never able to make sense in their dumb comparisons.

... to refute the claim that Margot hasn't had a hit movie in over 10 years which, as the data shows, is objectively false. She's obviously had bombs but of course ATRL is incapable of nuance. 

1 hour ago, R.E.M. said:

... to refute the claim that Margot hasn't had a hit movie in over 10 years which, as the data shows, is objectively false. She's obviously had bombs but of course ATRL is incapable of nuance. 

You could have said that without the need of discredit HOG box office success (again a rated R drama movie released in a pandemic) in an absurd comparison with 'Birds of prey', a comic book action movie released pre pandemic, nobody with little knowledge about box office would ever do that, you can't expect nuance from others when you're the first to display the lack of it.

• Like 1

I see OGHs found their defense mechanism a year+ early 

spacer.png

Hopefully it goes better for them than it did Glenn Close, Kristen Stewart, Venom, Vox Lux, etc.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think by default one would say Margot simply because she has much, much more experience with acting, and she is just a really good actress. But that does not mean Gaga is bad or takes away from Gaga; they are both Oscar-nominated actresses.

Gaga has gotten better with each movie, though there are only two lol. I think Joker is going to expand on her acting talent and showcase something different from her in the way HOG did. The fact that Gaga agreed to take on a role of someone who already has an iconic likeness in the public's mind (thanks to Margot) is a really ballsy, brave move. Most actresses would not have the courage to do it because it is a big deal. Most popstars who try to use their fame to jump into acting do so with a safe, easy movie. Gaga is taking the hard way here and it may succeed big time or fail big time. :jonny: 

Edited by Sannie
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Sannie said:

I think by default one would say Margot simply because she has much, much more experience with acting, and she is just a really good actress. But that does not mean Gaga is bad or takes away from Gaga; they are both Oscar-nominated actresses.

Gaga has gotten better with each movie, though there are only two lol. I think Joker is going to expand on her acting talent and showcase something different from her in the way HOG did. The fact that Gaga agreed to take on a role of someone who already has an iconic likeness in the public's mind (thanks to Margot) is a really ballsy, brave move. Most actresses would not have the courage to do it because it is a big deal. Most popstars who try to use their fame to jump into acting do so with a safe, easy movie. Gaga is taking the hard way here and it may succeed big time or fail big time. :jonny: 

this. the Monsters and Barbies need to unite and fight the real enemy...

1002852653_undefined-Imgur.thumb.gif.aea

If you have to go through a vigorous process every time you’re about to play a new character just for the final outcome to be decent at best, then you’re not a very good actress….

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SharonStone said:

As a Britney stan, you know your post is nonsense when your fave did a movie in 2002 (which failed) and then auditioned for The Notebook in 2003 (didn't get it) and then said she wanted to be an action star like Angelina Jolie in the 2000s and again failed to achieve it.
All your faves wanna be actresses, they just can't cuz they can barely do their day job of singing even with autotune and AI let alone be onscreen for 2 hours with nothing to hide behind.

As I said before, this thread is about actually talented artists, in this case the legendary Lady Gaga who’s versatility to succeed in both industries with both acclaim and commercial success, stays unmatched this century.

Ruthless :soda:

16 hours ago, gatito said:

the setup :rip:

gaga is not a serious actress and she never will be

The denial :laugh:

16 hours ago, Taylena said:

What are Gaga's hit films other than ASIB? 

13 hours ago, Leptine said:

The one that still has to its name the best rated R drama box office result since 2019 pre Covid.

13 hours ago, Welovetrouble said:

House or Gucci did very well especially considering the circumstances of it's release(covid was still a thing and it was rated r) and a sizable portion of the people who saw it said lady Gaga was a huge factor in their seeing it proving she's a draw 

12 hours ago, Marry Illusion Glory said:

Not this :toofunny3: the movie's success was literally noted as an outlier during what was a difficult time for BO by almost every single analyst and industry publication, ranging from Forbes to Variety, THR, Deadline and even the usual trackers on Twitter.

Forbes

THR

Deadline

Now whom are we supposed to believe? These people whose bread-and-butter is to crunch numbers every week and observe industry patterns and trends or ATRL users with clearly no knowledge of how box office comps work?

504zfn.thumb.gif.a43ee4ce14e420f8b9c1ff5

Destroy that pressed and ignorant troll :clap3:

12 hours ago, Marry Illusion Glory said:

Anyway.

Threads like this and all the poor trolling attempts to downplay Gaga's achievements in acting make me chuckle because they're a resounding reminder of how so many people are seething about Gaga completely TOWERING above most, if not all, of their faves who have tried their hardest over the years to be taken seriously by the film industry only to be mocked, laughed at and get panned over and over again for their actual mediocre, rancid repeat attempts and dilettante-ish forays into the world of acting. 

Comments such as "she can't act!!", "she'll never be a serious actress!1!" are so absurd and laughable at this point considering not only her accolades so far but just the simple fact that she's among the highest paid actresses of the year and busy swiping roles previously portrayed by actresses such as Margot (who's the subject of comparison here) and from actresses such as Rooney Mara (before they zeroed in on Gaga as Harley for Joker 2)

She has already acted alongside heavyweights such as Kathy Bates, Al Pacino, Jeremy Irons and other seasoned actors with much bigger resumes and has still managed to more than hold her own in every single scene bagging notices from the audiences, critics and guilds alike. That alone is a testament to how great of an actor she is. She's what is called the classic "scene-stealer" in Hollywood. An actor so good and confident in their craft they pull focus away from everyone else in the scene. The extremely rare combination of talent, magnetism, and star power. She has a really long and promising career ahead of her in film, as long as she actively wants.

It's going to be a tough next couple of decades for the OGHs as they watch her fill stadium AND theatre seats globally, balancing two massive careers successfully and scaling unprecedented new heights in both music AND film.

giphy.gif

:jonny: :jonny: :jonny:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, Weld_E said:

If you have to go through a vigorous process every time you’re about to play a new character just for the final outcome to be decent at best, then you’re not a very good actress….

Too bad her awards nominations and wins say the contrary proving your delusional take wrong.

In all honestly Margot has, despite being marketed early on as just another pretty face Australian export, delivered 3 of the best performances I've seen in the past few years with Mary Queen Of Scots, I Tonya and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. I haven't seen Bombshell and Babylon yet.

Gaga is not a natural actress to me, her acting is extremely heavy-handed and rudimentary.

Edited by Dark Miracles
  • Like 2

The funny thing is that Margot is not even top 5 (or maybe not even top 10) in the best working actresses today and she still won by a landslide :rip:

The best part is seeing here how many haters are still this PRESSED at Gaga's successful ventures into Cinema :smitten:

The pill is still struggling to be swallowed by some :dies:

bow.png.dbbb96ec64616c43a1fd3cc2113989d7

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dark Miracles said:

In all honestly Margot has, despite being marketed early on as just another pretty face Australian export, delivered 3 of the best performances I've seen in the past few years with Mary Queen Of Scots, I Tonya and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. I haven't seen Bombshell and Babylon yet.

Gaga is not a natural actress to me, her acting is extremely heavy-handed and rudimentary.

She barely did anything in once upon a time in Hollywood lol, I agree she was great in I Tonya but honestly Charlize and Nicole ate her up in bombshell but that is my subjective opinion

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.