The Weeknd released a GH album in the streaming era & succeeded, why?

johnny_9ss

People like to say that Greatest Hits albums are very much a thing of the past, as streaming took over and people can put together their own playlists, etc.

But the Weeknd released a greatest hits album (The Highlights) in 2021 and it was really successful, going Platinum in several countries.

Why did he succeed with that? And can GH albums overall make a return?

• Haha 2

I don't think anybody thinks GH albums wouldn't be successful in the streaming era, they are pointless tho

• ATRL Moderator

Because all of the streams of his most popular songs go to the Greatest Hits album. So, it ruins the charts runs of his other albums (see how After Hours would re-enter and drop off every other week depending on if it or GH had more sales)

• Like 2

Greatest Hits albums are a pretty good idea in the streaming era if you have enough hits in your catalogue. The recurrent streams means the album basically sells itself. The only downside is it means it eats up your streams from your previous albums.

The UK albums chart is filled with greatest hits albums these days 

What do you mean by "succeeding". The streams of his albums counts towards his GH instead of the original. It gives him good chart runs in some market but it's compeletely pointless.

In the past GH albums for big artists used to sell as much if not more than their studio albums so it was much more profitable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The hits compilation don’t succeed or flop nowadays, the streams of the hits are the same the only difference it is if they count for albums or for compilation 

• Like 1

Streaming era saved GH albums 

digital download era is what killed them

Weekend has the hits so no I’m not surprised it’s smashing 

3 minutes ago, Katamari said:

Streaming era saved GH albums 

This logic is dumb. GH albums do not increase the total units of an artist in the streaming era they can just get good chart runs by taking the streams away from the parent albums. But that success is completely meaningless for an artist career

• Like 1

Sure the GH might be thriving, but the rest of his albums are doomed to never chart again. Very bad business move in the streaming era.

3 minutes ago, Axelios said:

This logic is dumb. GH albums do not increase the total units of an artist in the streaming era they can just get good chart runs by taking the streams away from the parent albums. But that success is completely meaningless for an artist career

GH albums for newer artists weren’t as big or even seen as relevant during the digital era but thanks to streaming they can now have good chart runs again so yes it did save it! 

Katamari

i wouldn't say it 'succeeded' cause thanks to this GH his older albums won't be charting anymore, like he could've charted several albums in the top 10 during his SB week but thanks to this he only charted one or he could've done similar domination like Taylor is doing right now (charting several albums in the top 100) if it wasn't for this GH

46 minutes ago, wantedyoutogrow said:

I don't think anybody thinks GH albums wouldn't be successful in the streaming era, they are pointless tho

They're perfect if you want to piece a droplet or two into an album. Madonna did this back in 1990 with TIC, Rescue Me and Justify My Love and it could work just as well now for the right artist. If Gaga or Rihanna were to release a standalone single now that feels like a waste when it could be attached to a GH album. 'Best Of' albums are even better because it makes sense to include unreleased/vault stuff as well.

did it? it just cannibalized his other albums' chart runs and certifications 

It killed his other albums in the process. Those hits would still be hits despite the GH album

Greatest Hits compilations, I feel, are good as a promotional tool when in between albums and/or gearing up for a new release or comeback. There's still a market for it, especially when there are new mixes or remasters of the songs.

His catalog streams are strong + he got a new hit. GH albums are basically a playlist of an artist's most popular songs in the streaming era.

Sure a GH album can have a strong chart-run in the streaming era, but it brings nothing, not the way they used to. It's just that instead of streams counting for the parent album, they'll count for the GH, but that doesn't bring in more units. It's basically a glorified "This Is..." playlist. 

I guess it can be useful to accumulate chart points if you have multiple albums with a hit or two but their streams are not enough to get these albums charting high. With the GH you combine all the hits bringing in streams and therefore you get one album charting high all the time, at the cost of the parent albums. But if these parent albums were charting low or not charting at all, maybe that can be a good move. 

I want to use an example but I fear I will be jumped on but whatever... Take the case of Rihanna. Except ANTI, none of her albums are charting, despite the fact she's pulling great streaming numbers overall. A GH made with the biggest songs of each of her first 7 albums (not 8, cause ANTI is charting and a GH would hurt its run) would be a way for her to chart another album consistently, and likely very high on the album charts. That's the only kind of situation I feel like a GH can be beneficial. And even that would hurt her chance to re-chart some older albums when she finally decides to release a new album. 

• Like 1

The album itself was NOT successful, it was just boosted by the individual units by each song :rip: it’s just a playlist 

Any popular artist that makes a GH album will perform good bc of that 

Because it's essentially a playlist in the streaming era 

I still love the concept of a greatest hits album. It’s great for music heads and collectors. But I imagine only really big artists like The Weeknd can pull it off. If Taylor were to release one and add a few new songs, it would smash hard

back in the day I remember everyone had a greatest hits album. Mandy Moore had one after 2 original albums and no top 10s. 

GH are easier to chart due to all the big hits streams' being included in the chart run for that album.

See how Little Mix's Between Us has been in the UK top 40 more or less continuously since its release in 2021.

The question Is… will he be able to break the GH curse? 

7 hours ago, Katamari said:

GH albums for newer artists weren’t as big or even seen as relevant during the digital era but thanks to streaming they can now have good chart runs again so yes it did save it! 

Katamari

It doesn't make any sense :dies: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.