Is there too much emphasis on things being aged?

Big Bad Wolf

Do we as stans place too much importance on pop girls music being dated, a production of its time, aged, etc? Like that doesn't render the material useless, unenjoyable, or even "bad". Yes it's great if a pop girl makes an album that exists in a space of its own, but it's not a inherently a bad thing to create something of its time. Teenage Dream comes to mind, and that album ended up defining its time and era in pop music history.

Or is it not that serious? :celestial4:

Yeah, no one outside ATRL cares if music sounds like the year it was released, and ATRL just calls electronic music dated so they can over praise artists who release ballads. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A bop is a bop. I don't gaf if it's dated, especially when it often stomps on the supposedly timeless and fresh stuff.

• Like 1

Yeah. Nobody offline cares at all😭

They just listen to what they like and move on with thier lives. 

Edited by Gorjesspazze9
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GraceRandolph said:

Yeah, no one outside ATRL cares if music sounds like the year it was released, and ATRL just calls electronic music dated so they can over praise artists who release ballads. 

Snapped with the tea sis!

I often wonder if the thing you said about electronic music has something to do with ATRL being very US-centric.

"dated", "aged", etc are just easy words to throw when people have nothing else to say imo and I don't really consider it as valid criticism. 

Plenty of classic songs and albums from decades ago are still a product of their time and that doesn't make them any less good. Material Girl, Take On Me, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, I Wanna Dance With Somebody, Never Gonna Give You Up, Beat It, etc are all "dated" and scream 80s but they still slap today.

I understand that sometimes artists try to be inspired by a certain era from the past and end up doing it in a very unimaginative and lazy way without adding their own spin on it so the product ends up sounding straight out of that period, but if it's good then irdgaf. I can't make the music not bop! 

Edited by State of Grace.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Avariko said:

Snapped with the tea sis!

I often wonder if the thing you said about electronic music has something to do with ATRL being very US-centric.

I think a lot of it has to do with Taylor and Adele being so successful, so electronic music gets denigrated to over-praise those artists. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

ATRL just calls electronic music dated so they can over praise artists who release ballads.

:coffee: It was popularized by Gaga haters 

I'd rather listen to most "dated" 80/90/00s hits than 99% of the current ones tbh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I don't really get it being used as a drag for songs, especially production, because usually when you listen to music you listen in the context of when it was made. It doesn't change the quality.

11 minutes ago, blueberries said:

I'd rather listen to most "dated" 80/90/00s hits than 99% of the current ones tbh

Especially since current hits sample “dated” songs all the time. 

• Like 2

A song in 2013 is prolly EDM cause that was the trend it may be dated now but if its a bop its a bop. It doesn't make it bad. Plus trends always make comebacks usually so if it sounds dated now it may sound fresh in the future 

37 minutes ago, Avariko said:

A bop is a bop. I don't gaf if it's dated, especially when it often stomps on the supposedly timeless and fresh stuff.

Preach :clap3:

• Thanks 1

oh jeez is it time for me to rant about this? maybe in a few hours i just got off a sh*tty flight. tl;dr for later: YES. you guys overuse it and apply it to the most ridiculous sh*t lol

No this is not a stan thing

There have been studies about this. Songs are successfull when there's known elements and something novel at the same time. Songs sound dated because there's absolutly nothing novel about them and they used the same tricks every song used at given time. There's a reason trends change 

Absolutely, yes. Music doesn't have an expiration date. It's valid to consider a song to sound like the sound of its time, but that doesn't make it any better or worse. Hell, I love a lot of music from the 1980s and I think much of it sounds better than what's releasing today.

• Like 2

Yes, it is unreasonable to expect a song from 1984 to sound like it was made in 2023. It sounds old because it is. But that doesn't mean it's bad. 

When people say things are dated they aren’t just saying “this looks straight out of 2012” they’re saying “this looks straight out of 2012, and it also sucks” 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.