Most successful 8th album: Anti x folklore x Music?

sasashite

Which is bigger?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Rihanna - Anti
    • Taylor Swift - folklore
    • Madonna - Music

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• airplane

• Raspberries

• Axelios

• FolkLover1989

2 hours ago, Raspberries said:

1080x360

:bibliahh: Is this real?

how exactly is this on topic anyway 💀💀💀

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, istan4badgalriri said:

how exactly is this on topic anyway 💀💀💀

It was brought up in a post and I asked if it was real :sorry:

Looks like it is indeed real if it's got you this bothered though! 

Between folklore and ANTi - folklore, for sure. 

It cemented Taylor’s songwriting and credibility with critics; turned the GP’s perception of her after a series of misses (the rep and lover era really soured many away from her); and kickstarted what is her current imperial era. Add to the fact that it is still charting in the top 10 four years after its initial release, and it being her 3rd AOTY win, along with cardigan still smashing so many years later. 

I love ANTi and Rihanna so much; and the ANTi era is by no means “small”. It is still a huge era for Rih and possibly her most consistent album in terms of commercial success apart from GGGB / LOUD. However, folklore feels much more massive in comparison. 

I didn’t live through madonna’s music era hence I cannot comment on that. 

On 7/25/2023 at 8:09 PM, Axelios said:

when Music was probably not even among the top 10 biggest albums of its year

It sold 4 million copies in its first week, globally. :rip:

Music > ANTi > Folklore 

The Taylor fever in ATRL may be fogging, but Madonna was four decades into her career when 'Music' came out, and Rihanna came out from her first significant hiatus to drop 'ANTi'. Achieving a top 3 global hit (the title track), and having your album still charting for 7 years in the Billboard Hot 200 (alongside an iconic classic) respectively is nothing to laugh, at or dismiss at all. They are obviously the bigger albums. However, 'Folklore' was an important album for Taylor's career and was a grand success, exceeding Lover and arguably, Reputation. However, I am still firm with my stance. 

It’s weird, but I always see Midnights as Taylor’s Music era, and Folklore as her Ray of Light.

ROL and folklore (and ANTI for Rihanna tbh) served very similar roles in each of their respective careers, whereas Midnights and Music were solid returns to form that benefited from the massive fan base expansion that came from both artists’ most recent previous eras. 

Edited by Thomas P

2 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

It sold 4 million copies in its first week, globally. :rip:

What does that have to do with my post? Was Music among the top 10 seller of its year or not?

1 hour ago, Blackout2006 said:

However, 'Folklore' was an important album for Taylor's career and was a grand success, exceeding Lover and arguably, Reputation. However, I am still firm with my stance. 

Lover, Reputation and Folklore are all bigger than Anti.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 4

1 hour ago, Axelios said:

They sure are

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

ANTI isnt it 6x PLATINUM.

with 2 singles on the verge of being Diamond 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xxxlamb said:

ANTI isnt it 6x PLATINUM.

with 2 singles on the verge of being Diamond 

ANTI is at 6M SPS in 7.5 years

folklore is at 4.6M SPS in 3 years

10 hours ago, Chris said:

29 pages of what exactly?

swifties having meltdowns and refusing to admit the truth 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, istan4badgalriri said:

swifties having meltdowns and refusing to admit the truth 

Which is?

Probably folklore, closely followed by Music.

29 minutes ago, Chris said:

Which is?

that Music is the winner here, followed by Anti

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Doogle said:

Music by far lmao why is this 29 pages 

cuz most are too young im assuming.

the fact that it was actually trendy to stan this album instead of britney and gang at her age says a lot. i lived it. no one is going to rewrite history. black culture even fuuxd with it. it was a moment. what a time to be alive.

anti is still my fav though

and folklore is amazing.

prob my fav taylor album tbh

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Axelios said:

What does that have to do with my post? Was Music among the top 10 seller of its year or not?

It was awarded by IFPI for having one of the highest album sales that year...Besides, it only had 4 months of tracking in 2000. If we account for its first year of release, it sold 8 million copies WW.  

Edited by Blackout2006

12 hours ago, Axelios said:

Lover & Folklore? alright :bibliahh:

Edited by Blackout2006

Just now, Blackout2006 said:

It was awarded by IFPI for having one of the highest album sales that year...Besides, it only had 4 months of tracking in 2000. If we account for its first year of release, it sold 8 million copies WW.  

That's still not enough to match Eminem, NSYNC, Britney, Coldplay, Enya and all the other artists that released bigger albums in 2000.

1 minute ago, Blackout2006 said:

Lover & Folklore? alright :bibliahh:

Yes it's actually:

Lover > Folklore = Reputation > Anti.

Lover has more Spotify streams than Anti and is still gaining about 8 million more daily, it was also the best selling album of 2019. It's not really close really

Just now, Axelios said:

That's still not enough to match Eminem, NSYNC, Britney, Coldplay, Enya and all the other artists that released bigger albums in 2000.

Alright, let's just dismiss the fact that Madonna nearly 30 years into her career, was still competing with the young and popular acts in the competitive scene of 2000. Like it's so easy to do that, right!? :celestial:

Also, wasn't the title track one of the biggest hits of that year? Going #1 in 25 countries while recording for 4 decades in the music industry? Wow alright, I've seen so many artists pull that off with ease. Nothing too exceptional :michael: