Most successful 8th album: Anti x folklore x Music?

sasashite

Which is bigger?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Rihanna - Anti
    • Taylor Swift - folklore
    • Madonna - Music

Why is this 17 pages? :bibliahh:it's pretty obvious which 2 are the biggest and as much as I love it it sure isn't the one people are fighting about 

• Thumbs Down 1

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• airplane

• Raspberries

• Axelios

• FolkLover1989

19 minutes ago, JustLikeHoney said:

Nope it was at 11 Million in January of 2021 according to billboard. Where is your numbers from? 

https://www.billboard.com/music/pop/rihanna-happy-antiversary-pics-video-9518130/

Billboard does not track worldwide sales :rip: That is a number fed to them by her label, which you can never trust with these things 

JustLikeHoney
On 7/25/2023 at 3:30 PM, Artistofthedecade said:

Streams 

Anti - 6,033,503,859 (+2,349,036) 

Folklore - 5,334,728,431 (+7,792,116) 

Take away those pure sales and Folklore will still outstream Anti in a few months. 

It's weird to compare two albums like this. Because streaming has grown by almost 90% since 2016. As a matter of fact there was about 11 million streaming music subscribers in the US during Anti's release. There is currently 90 million subscribers in the US. If Taylor isn't doing 10x's the streaming numbers Anti pulled in 2016, then she's not pulling in the same popularity that Anti was in 2016. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/707103/paid-streaming-music-subscribers-usa/

Edited by JustLikeHoney
  • Thanks 1

18 pages of Taylor vs. Rihanna stan war when the obvious answer is Music :rip:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JustLikeHoney said:

It's weird to compare two albums like this. Because streaming has grown by almost 90% since 2016. As a matter of fact there was about 11 million streaming music subscribers in the US during Anti's release. There is currently 90 million subscribers in the US. If Taylor isn't doing 10x's the streaming numbers Anti pulled in 2016, then she's not pulling in the same popularity that Anti was in 2016. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/707103/paid-streaming-music-subscribers-usa/

1 hour ago, JustLikeHoney said:

That's not a very good logic because Top 200 (basically popular music) of Spotify didn't grow as exponentially, the growth mostly comes from music scene expanding, especially for more indie/unpopular artists. 

Spotify users by year

2023* - 517.69 million

2022 - 422 million

2021 - 356 million

2020 - 286 million

2019 - 217 million

2018 - 157 million

2017 - 132 million

2016 - 96 million

2015 - 68 million 

From 2017 (first data we have for Top 200) to today, Spotify got 3.9x of its users) 

But comparing Top 200

#5 song (2017 Sept.) - 3.4M

#5 song (today) - 4.5M (1.3x bigger) 

#10 (2017) - 2.8M 

#10 (today) - 3.8M (1.3x bigger) 

#25 (2017) - 2.1M

#25 (today) - 2.5M (1.2x bigger) 

#50 (2017) - 1.2M 

#50 (today) - 1.9M (1.6x bigger) 

#100 (2017) - 750k 

#100 (today) - 1.4M (1.8x bigger) 

#200 (2017) - 490k

#200 (today) - 1M (2.1x bigger) 

As you can see, top songs (and top artists) didn’t grow as much as total Spotify users (or streams) did. 

So multiplying old streams with user numbers doesn't paint the picture of what could have been today in the right way. 

Edited by Artistofthedecade
  • Like 2

JustLikeHoney
23 minutes ago, Artistofthedecade said:

That's not a very good logic because Top 200 (basically popular music) of Spotify didn't grow as exponentially, the growth mostly comes from music scene expanding, especially for more indie/unpopular artists. 

Spotify users by year

2023* - 517.69 million

2022 - 422 million

2021 - 356 million

2020 - 286 million

2019 - 217 million

2018 - 157 million

2017 - 132 million

2016 - 96 million

2015 - 68 million 

From 2017 (first data we have for Top 200) to today, Spotify got 3.9x of its users) 

But comparing Top 200

#5 song (2017 Sept.) - 3.4M

#5 song (today) - 4.5M (1.3x bigger) 

#10 (2017) - 2.8M 

#10 (today) - 3.8M (1.3x bigger) 

#25 (2017) - 2.1M

#25 (today) - 2.5M (1.2x bigger) 

#50 (2017) - 1.2M 

#50 (today) - 1.9M (1.6x bigger) 

#100 (2017) - 750k 

#100 (today) - 1.4M (1.8x bigger) 

#200 (2017) - 490k

#200 (today) - 1M (2.1x bigger) 

As you can see, top songs (and top artists) didn’t grow as much as total Spotify users (or streams) did. 

So multiplying old streams with user numbers doesn't paint the picture of what could have been today in the right way. 

Cool but I'm taking more into acct than just Spotify other apps have gone from 0 users to 80 million paid subscribers in the past 5 years. But I'm sure every subscriber is just listening to Melanie Martinez and Grimes tho. 

I love Taylor but it is BEYOND delusional to claim that folklore was a bigger era than Anti. Get it together, people.

• Like 1

The one being compared to artists' most recent smash albums despite being released over 20 years ago.

3 hours ago, JustLikeHoney said:

I mean, it's not like pure sales are comparable either as folklore blows ANTI out of the water in that field :rip:

7 hours ago, Dephira said:

18 pages of Taylor vs. Rihanna stan war when the obvious answer is Music :rip:

lmao this is true 

4 hours ago, Black Jesus said:

I love Taylor but it is BEYOND delusional to claim that folklore was a bigger era than Anti. Get it together, people.

It sold much more in its first three years than Anti. 

Edited by Axelios

9 minutes ago, LikeaRebel said:

How is Music losing this? :deadbanana:

By being objectively less successful 

42 minutes ago, Axelios said:

By being objectively less successful 

You really have the nerve to speak about being objective :skull:

6 hours ago, Popboi. said:

I mean, it's not like pure sales are comparable either as folklore blows ANTI out of the water in that field :rip:

well maybe if Anti hadn’t leaked and hadn’t been given away to 1m+ people and had CDs, vinyls and cassettes upon release it would’ve performed better in pure sales

and it’s more than 2 billion streams ahead of folklore on YouTube/YouTube Music

52 minutes ago, istan4badgalriri said:

well maybe if Anti hadn’t leaked and hadn’t been given away to 1m+ people and had CDs, vinyls and cassettes upon release it would’ve performed better in pure sales

You think people were going to pay good hard-earned money for ANTI? Rihanna's recent albums prior to ANTI which were released in the early 2010s sold on par with Midnights. And that's in a much MUCH better market as well as vinyl pressings in recent years :toofunny3: This post is almost as funny as the touring one you made a few pages back as if Taylor hasn't been an exponentially bigger touring force than Rihanna since they both debuted :toofunny3:

• Like 2

18 pages discussing folklore sales

18 pages

EIGHTEEEN PAGES.

Math obsessed Swifties... I'll never understand them. What's the point of debating stuff like this? Don't give me ''this is ATRL'' nonsense. There is literally no way you need to go THIS in detail length and in depth as to why album A outsold album B. It's ridiculous. It's weird. I get allergic from reading stuff like this, my skin start itching and ****.... like I truly get nauseous. Numbers... the worst thing to ever be introduced to stan culture. Omg I'm getting hives from this... tong swelling. MAMA THIS IS GARBAGE!!

You can clearly tell who on this website has a STEM major and who a sociological/cultural/history major. It's insane the lenghts you guys go through. My goodness

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

34 minutes ago, Love Again said:

18 pages

EIGHTEEEN PAGES.

Math obsessed Swifties... I'll never understand them. What's the point of debating stuff like this? Don't give me ''this is ATRL'' nonsense. There is literally no way you need to go THIS in detail length and in depth as to why album A outsold album B. It's ridiculous. It's weird. I get allergic from reading stuff like this, my skin start itching and ****.... like I truly get nauseous. Numbers... the worst thing to ever be introduced to stan culture. Omg I'm getting hives from this... tong swelling. MAMA THIS IS GARBAGE!!

You can clearly tell who on this website has a STEM major and who a sociological/cultural/history major. It's insane the lenghts you guys go through. My goodness

This is why Swifties have good GPA, successful career in real life just so we can spend on her music. Watch and learn :gaycatney2:

8 minutes ago, Cloröx said:

This is why Swifties have good GPA, successful career in real life just so we can spend on her music. Watch and learn :gaycatney2:

That was pseudo science :bibliahh:hilarious how yall are hanging onto that as if it means anything

14 hours ago, JustLikeHoney said:

and pure sales were much bigger in 2016 than they are now yet anti still sold 1/4 of what folklore did in pure. hang it UP with these streaming growth arguments. because if anything streaming growth over the years benefits catalog albums like anti, and folklore still caught up. simply because it's bigger.

next

• Like 2

4 hours ago, istan4badgalriri said:

Anti has had 4 vinyl versions so that's not really an excuse. Even the recent repress didn't do... anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Love Again said:

That was pseudo science :bibliahh:hilarious how yall are hanging onto that as if it means anything

Hilarious that you think that was used seriously and not sarcasm, maybe a point was made by that research.

Kudos to the longevity of this thread.

CBC

3 hours ago, Love Again said:

18 pages

EIGHTEEEN PAGES.

www.betterhelp.com

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

www.betterhelp.com

Is what y’all need yes

• Like 1