• Roger

• brooklyndaddy

• FireFade

This is absolutely fantastic, I loved all songs

Flicker might be my favorite song but everything is so solid like woah :jonny: 

I was not expecting to like this as much as I do :katie2:

Hard and Zig >>> :flame2:Sad that it leaked so early

JohnWayneHolland

I'm gonna be honest I kinda didn't like this on my initial listen :thing: it actually is my least favorite album from her (excluding Poppy.Computer).

I'll give it another listen when it gets officially released but... Idk if it will grow on me tbh

• 2 weeks later...

I had low expectations due to the singles but oh **** the album tracks are pretty great. 

1s & 0s

Zig 

Hard 

Linger 

I'm in Linger right now, enjoying it so much and I'm very excited for what's next (except Motorbike, worst song so far). 

Hard is so good :clap3:from the singles, I only liked this and Church Outfit. Is the rest of the album more like those or the pop stuff?

8 minutes ago, brooklyndaddy said:

Hard is so good :clap3:from the singles, I only liked this and Church Outfit. Is the rest of the album more like those or the pop stuff?

Album has a lot of slower moments than the singles. Only bop left is Zig, the rest has a different vibe 

is the album dark pop or a mix with metal again?

This isn't working for me. It feels like a step back.

The biggest issue I'm having is with the production on a lot these. There are great ideas (cool distortion, playing with time signatures, great drum beats) and I like the overall dark pop kind of direction. The issue is these concepts feel very half baked and don't really go anywhere. My first thought was "this sounds like a generic pop producer's attempt at making something vaguely more experimental"... and this is indeed the case. Ali Piyami's fingerprints are all over this and it works against Poppy's favor. Everything just feels very... mid? There is a real lack of intricacy with a lot of the mixing and the end result sounds overly simplistic. The parts that are supposed to go hard don't go hard enough, there parts that should be soft and build tension just feel low energy. There's little sharpness to the production that was really needed. Even with her vocals, it's all very mid range EQ wise so her performance on most of this doesn't stand out over the music either. It's just mid mellow dark pop mush. :chick3:

The singles are definitely the best this thing has to offer, Church Outfit being the strongest all around in my opinion. Hope she does not continue working with Piyami because this is just so beneath what she's capable of.

This is like a 6/10 for me personally, it's a little better than an average pop album :michael:

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, brooklyndaddy said:

The singles are definitely the best this thing has to offer, Church Outfit being the strongest all around in my opinion. Hope she does not continue working with Piyami because this is just so beneath what she's capable of.

I agree with this, Church Outfit is the best one. I like Zig and Flicker too but overall it's weaker album than Flux. 

great album :heart: Hard is no exaggeration the worst song I've heard this year and Prove It is mid, but I love everything else 

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Kintsugi said:

Hard is no exaggeration the worst song I've heard this year

10 minutes ago, FireFade said:

really love Hard :heart:  

Nnn not these being back to back comments as well :gaycatx:

• Haha 3

I’ll start off by trying to be nice and say that high school me would’ve loved this :cm:

With that said, this simply ain’t it. I really thought she had found her sound with Flux, but this feels like her going back to the poppier sounds of her first two albums with a bit of the edginess of her more recent material. It feels like a very confused album that doesn’t know what it wants to be, which is in stark contrast to the confident alternative rock of Flux. Like another user already said, I do appreciate the experimenting going on here, it’s just that for most of the album it just doesn’t work. Knockoff and Motorbike are bops tho!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This album feels confused and completely throws away the creative progression that culminated in Flux. That record was her most accomplished body of work yet and tracks like Her and Bloom were straight up just some of the best rock songs of that year period, no superlatives. There's no beating around the bush that it underperformed though, and this feels like a tentative step back to see how that goes for the numbers. Motorbike is a bop but beneath her ability and whoever mixed and mastered Hard needs to give her a refund.

• Thanks 1

Im getting more excited for this the more people say it's "poppier" lmao 

1 hour ago, LCTV said:

Im getting more excited for this the more people say it's "poppier" lmao 

It’s dark pop, so if that’s your thing then you’ll probably enjoy it… mostly :gaycatx:

What It Becomes, Linger, and The Attic are career highlights

• Like 2

This album just made me feel like listening to Nine Inch Nails :rip: dreaming of a Trent Reznor produced Poppy project now because this sounds like a Wish.com version of Pretty Hate Machine

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.