Italy begins stripping lesbian mothers of their parental rights

Bears01

what is going on in the world lately. there's been so much anti-LGBTQ sentiments being spread around. 

• Thanks 1

Hopefully the EU steps in

I remember they helped a lesbian couple with a similar problem, in Bulgaria (where it's worse for gay rights)

Excuse me, what?

As a queer woman, I am heartbroken.

Under current Italian law, the member of a same-sex couple who is not legally recognized as a child’s parent could lose custody if the legally recognized parent dies or the relationship ends.

This is particularly horrific for another couple, Vanessa Finesso and Cristina Zambon. Finesso is the one who gave birth to their daughter after undergoing IVF in Spain. Even though she used Zambon’s egg, Zambon has been threatened with the loss of parental rights by the government. Finesso has cancer and is worried that if she dies, her wife will lose custody of their daughter.

Wow, that's horrifying! They're basically dooming children to become orphans or wards of the state or placed with strangers for no other reason than ideology. 

The far-right is currently in power in Italy, so this is unfortunately not surprising. Hopefully this spurs enough outrage among Italians to vote them out in the next elections. 

• Like 1

Gross 

isn't usually one of the women the one who gave birth?  And perhaps the sperm donor?  Don't they give up their rights, or no?

People in Italy saw two brown skinned people in town when they went shopping, so they panicked and voted for the far right and this is what you get.

Back in 2022 this was the prediction of what would happen:

However, Prof Gianluca Passarrelli of Rome's Sapienza University told the BBC he thought she would avoid rocking the boat on Europe and focus on other policies: "I think we will see more restrictions on civil rights and policies on LGBT and immigrants."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63029909

But abused kids rarely get removed, ok :rip:

I am so sick of the goverment constantly being in people's business where they don't belong. The only time removing a kid is justified is abuse. I'm so sick and tired of the goverments power.

This is why minorities who play into the culture war **** is so funny. They think by supporting these kinds of politicians in the name of being a TERF or anti-woke will behoove them in the future when in reality they are going to be targeted as well.

Lesbian TERFs voted for these kinds of people and now they are surprised they are being hurt.

Edited by Sannie

This whole thing is horrifying. That being said, with the recent headlines of in-fighting and drama following Berlusconi's death, I feel like the cracks in the government are starting to show.

On 7/18/2023 at 3:50 AM, Black Jesus said:

The far-right is currently in power in Italy, so this is unfortunately not surprising. Hopefully this spurs enough outrage among Italians to vote them out in the next elections. 

Not happening, unfortunately...

Hopefully the EU can do something, this is really really sad.  Apparently this was never actually "legal" in the country, but the prior government never stopped regional governments from approving it before.  Now, with Meloni, they're not only cracking down on this, but revoking parental rights. :sad:

On 7/18/2023 at 3:50 AM, Black Jesus said:

As someone who lives there, it might get worse. There are no alternatives and despite being incapable to their electorate it's fine because they insult immigrants from morning to night and are against gender theory (they don't even know what it is but now it's enough to say it's leftist). They control the media, TV newspapers etc

• Thumbs Down 1

I mean it’s Italy where even same sex marriage isn’t allowed, I’m not really surprised, politicians with backward mentality  :grump:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.