Box Office Discussion | Civil War is the 1st A24 Film to Open at #1

Gwendolyn

16 hours ago, Bloodflowers. said:

With so much internet hype, I expect this to do 110M+ at least

That would be a true smash. Everything less is mid

Margot Robbie needs to do commercial movies after this if this is commercially successful. Her doing unwatchable panned artsy fartsy films and sabotaging Birds of Prey. If this film flops, she is over and she should hope she will be a streaming actress star at best after this.

Artsy fartsy movies don't cost $80 million.

Unless you mean she should just do nonstop franchise films. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V$.

• BNF91

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very glad to have been wrong about this, the tracking just keeps increasing. Hope it is a huge hit.

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

As a big Margot defender I must say this feels vindicating :dies: can't wait to see this in a month!

Around 100 mil without the premium screens. Nolan better give up some Dolbys because 100 mil + would’ve been a lock with those. 

• Like 1

Seeing it for the early Wednesday screening but would def go back and watch it if it snatches the bigger screens in week 2 based on how big it becomes :fan:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Desire said:

Seeing it for the early Wednesday screening but would def go back and watch it if it snatches the bigger screens in week 2 based on how big it becomes :fan:

:coffee:

2 hours ago, mystery said:

I'm very glad to have been wrong about this, the tracking just keeps increasing. Hope it is a huge hit.

I felt no hype for this earlier because the trailers showed absolutely NOTHING about the movie.

Once they actually started showing plot and virtually that it was more than just a movie with Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling it was much easier to connect and feel hyped. Loved the “This Barbie” social media campaign. Was very unique 

• Like 1

Box Office is a interesting place to look at how successful a movie is. There are bombs and there are smashes - this is the place to talk about them all.

WW Box Office Top 10 of 2023  (as of Jun, 28th - 9pm GMT

Spoiler

1. The Super Mario Bros. Movie - $1,334,866,709  

2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - $831,670,883  

3. Fast X - $689,905,690    

4. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - $563,142,875    

5. The Little Mermaid - $501,267,536  

6. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania - $476,071,180  

7. John Wick: Chapter 4 - $427,718,346    

8. Transformers: Rise of the Beasts - $342,836,996    

9. Creed III - $275,248,615  

10  The Flash - $212,503,550

UPCOMING RELEASES:

Spoiler

Jul 21

Barbie - WB

Oppenheimer - Universal

July 28

Haunted Mansion - Disney 

Edited by Gwendolyn
  • Thanks 1

I forgot Haunted Mansion was coming out.. 3rd Disney bomb of 2023 incoming ⁉️

-- 

Indy 5 is only projected to make 8 million domestic on its opening Thursday.. tomorrow is gonna be a bomb fest :deadbanana4:

Edited by Gwendolyn

I wasn't aware The Flash done THAT badly :deadbanana4:

Def a very crowded 2 months which is kind of weird considering how quiet it had been.

Indy 5 and MI7 and Oppenheimer kind of aim for some of the same audience : boomers who dont go often to the theaters. So asking them to come 3 times in 3 weeks is wild.

Indy 5 will flop or just do ok because the 4th ruined the hype. The lukewarm critic reception for this one will make people wait that it comes to D+. I predict MI will do very well because Cruise does not miss on selling his big spectacle. Will it do more than the previous one? I doubt. 

Oppenheimer for me is the wild card. It might do much better in the US than WW (outside Europe) but I don't see the movie being as strong as Dunkirk.

The Flash entire total run will be less then it’s budget:deadbanana4: and it’s still hasn’t made as much as Antman’s opening weekend. 3 weeks later💀

Edited by Gorjesspazze9

21 minutes ago, Gwendolyn said:

Disney is repeating the same mistake they did with Hocus Pocus (the original). Why would you release a movie suited for Halloween in the middle of the summer? SMH.

5 minutes ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

The Flash entire total run will be less then it’s budget:deadbanana4: and it’s still hasn’t made as much as Antman’s opening weekend. 3 weeks later💀

How much money is WB projected to lose?

This merger has been a utter disaster.

3 minutes ago, Gwendolyn said:

How much money is WB projected to lose?

This merger has been an utter disaster.

The official marketing budgets aren’t disclosed to the public yet. But it’s likely they are losing up to $300M. Not even including reshoots or the extensive marketing promo campaign. Some people say it might be more but we won’t know until the end of the year fiscal reports are revealed. But they definitely lost over $200M guaranteed 

Edited by Gorjesspazze9
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Gwendolyn said:

It figures, I feel like they're not even promoting it at all. :rip: Will def be a huge bomb.

Hollywood right now.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ninasayers said:

It figures, I feel like they're not even promoting it at all. :rip: Will def be a huge bomb.

I'm predicting 50 million worldwide and 70 million domestic - like a Miles Meets Mom kinda bomb :lakitu:

Edited by Gwendolyn
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gwendolyn said:

I'm predicting 50 million worldwide and 70 million domestic - like a Miles Meets Mom kinda bomb :lakitu:

Wait I just looked up Mars Needs Mom's total gross, which I thought was around $150M, and it's actually $39M. :deadbanana4::deadbanana4::deadbanana4: How tf did that even happen? :rip: 

The way this summer has been bomb after bomb :deadbanana: (with a few hits sprinkled in, of course.) It's interesting how most of them are sequels, franchise entries, and remakes, which is what have reliably kept theaters afloat as everything else goes to streaming. I wonder how the studios will course correct down the line.

Also the 2023 box office battle I'm most excited for is happening later this year: Dune 2, The Marvels, and The Hunger Games prequel are all opening in November. Right now, I think it'll be Dune > Marvels > BSS but I'm curious how that changes as we get closer to November. 

44 minutes ago, ninasayers said:

Wait I just looked up Mars Needs Mom's total gross, which I thought was around $150M, and it's actually $39M. :deadbanana4::deadbanana4::deadbanana4: How tf did that even happen? :rip: 

Literally any single frame from that movie can repel anyone

Spoiler

marsneedsflops.jpg

15MARS-jumbo.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

image.jpg

• Haha 3

So since Indy and Kraken Mermaid movie comes out tomorrow, what are y'alls final predictions for opening weekend?

For Indy 5  - 160 million WW

For Kraken - 30 million WW

Some people on BOT are predicting Indy 5 to be an even bigger bomb than The Flash.

:deadbanana4:

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.