Box Office Discussion | Inside SMASH 2

Gwendolyn

On 12/5/2023 at 9:55 AM, trainsskyscrapers said:

Taylor also has to pay a director their cut and a whole other production company (Silent House)... so it will all equal out in the end. :mandown: 

Will it?

Judging by how she has 7 different directors and 11 cinematographers for what is supposed to be a concert film, I wouldn't be so sure...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BNF91

• V$.

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Miss Americana said:

Will it?

Judging by how she has 7 different directors and 11 cinematographers for what is supposed to be a concert film, I wouldn't be so sure...

I hope you're not talking about the people who have been working in various capacities at Parkwood since she released her first produced films (Cadillac Records / Obsessed) in 2008/9, or the majority of the others who came on in 2013 before Self-Titled was released, or the others with credits on Black Is King / Homecoming. :mandown: 

24 minutes ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

I hope you're not talking about the people who have been working in various capacities at Parkwood since she released her first produced films (Cadillac Records / Obsessed) in 2008/9, or the majority of the others who came on in 2013 before Self-Titled was released, or the others with credits on Black Is King / Homecoming. :mandown: 

You used Silent House Production company as a drag and proudly claimed that Parkwood was the only producer only for Southpaw productions to be their SH. I'm not taking anything you say seriously after that.

There is a lack of transparency about the film credits since noone cares enough about this **** to edit the details online. Maybe put your wiki account to good use and do that instead of editing fake **** to fit your narrative.

Edited by Miss Americana

3 minutes ago, Miss Americana said:

You used Silent House Production company as a drag and proudly claimed that Parkwood was the only producer only for Southpaw productions to be their SH. I'm not taking anything you say seriously after that.

There is a lack of transparency about the film credits since noone cares enough about this **** to edit the details online. Maybe put your wiki account to good use and do that instead of editing fake **** to fit your narrative.

I don't see Southpaw listed on many publications or even Rotten Tomatoes (upon looking just now) as a partnered production company on the film, yet I see Silent House everywhere... why is that? I'm glad the information on IMDB was recently updated. From Rotten Tomatoes:

• Genre: Documentary, Music

• Original Language: English

• Director: Beyoncé

• Writer: Beyoncé

• Release Date (Theaters): Dec 1, 2023  Wide

• Box Office (Gross USA): $28.5M

• Runtime: 2h 48m

• Distributor: AMC Theatres Distribution

• Production Co: Parkwood Entertainment

• Rating: PG-13 (Suggestive Material|Some Strong Language)

• Genre: Documentary, Music

• Original Language: English

• Director: Sam Wrench

• Producer: Taylor Swift

• Release Date (Theaters): Oct 13, 2023  Wide

• Release Date (Streaming): Dec 13, 2023

• Box Office (Gross USA): $178.9M

• Runtime: 2h 48m

• Distributor: AMC Theatres Distribution

• Production Co: Taylor Swift Productions, Silent House

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/renaissance_a_film_by_beyonce / https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/taylor_swift_the_eras_tour

You conveniently forgot that I also stated Beyonce is director, writer, and main producer, as it clearly does not match your narrative. As I said weeks ago (?), She does not have to pay a director like TSwift (or negotiate after-film splits with a director), and used her in-house editing suite and team who were behind Homecoming and Black Is King.

Based on articles I've read, both negotiated between 50-57% of the earnings with AMC, who takes marketing and advertising from their share as the distributor. Taylor then has to pay both the director AND the production company from her half. Beyonce (may) have to split with Southpaw... but that's it. 

Always nice to meet fans from Wikipedia on here. :alexz: Did I do or say something to bother you over there? 

59 minutes ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

I don't see Southpaw listed on many publications or even Rotten Tomatoes (upon looking just now) as a partnered production company on the film, yet I see Silent House everywhere... why is that? I'm glad the information on IMDB was recently updated. From Rotten Tomatoes:

Because Taylor posts the logos of SHP and TSP at the very end of the movie meanwhile Renn film doesn't have any logos at the end(not even Parkwood) and the production credits are buried deep within the very long list of credits.

It's usual for people making independent concert films to partner with a production team since they usually have all the equipment and you don't have to go to all the trouble renting and buying ****. I knew it was bullshit when you claimed that Parkwood was the only production company involved. 

While RT failed to update the credits, Metacritic listed Southpaw all along. Someone there was paying attention.

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/renaissance-a-film-by-beyonce/details/

Also, it is a concert film/documentary, there is nothing to write unless you are insinuating that the documentary part was scripted?

Taylor self-directs things she is passionate about and a concert film is not one of them. Slapping your name on a vanity credit with 6 other directors might work for others but it is not her style.

Edited by Miss Americana

22 minutes ago, Miss Americana said:

Because Taylor posts the logos of SHP and TSP at the very end of the movie meanwhile Renn film doesn't have any logos at the end(not even Parkwood) and the production credits are buried deep within the very long list of credits.

It's usual for people making independent concert films to partner with a production team since they usually have all the equipment and you don't have to go to all the trouble renting and buying ****. I knew it was bullshit when you claimed that Parkwood was the only production company involved. 

While RT failed to update the credits, Metacritic listed Southpaw all along. Someone there was paying attention.

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/renaissance-a-film-by-beyonce/details/

Also, it is a concert film/documentary, there is nothing to write unless you are insinuating that the documentary part was scripted?

Taylor self-directs things she is passionate about and a concert film is not one of them. Slapping your name on a vanity credit with 6 other directors might work for others but it is not her style.

The pacing of a film (documentary or not) has to be scripted, or you get an unwieldy hodgepodge of tangential conversations and no overall narrative flow.

Precise inclusion/placement of the following vignettes/conversations was crucial to the pacing of the Renaissance film, as choosing a hybrid concert film + documentary forced them to temporarily transport audiences outside of the concert experience and transition us back without losing momentum:

1. Uncle Jonny + the importance of clothing/sewing/fashion in the lives of 4 generations of the Louisiana Creole Beyincé family (plus added narration from Tina Knowles and cousin Angie Beyince)

2. her dancers practicing, audition videos + several stories about their respective journies to the tour

3. Blue Ivy prepping for "My Power" after reading the negative comments (plus added narration from Jay-Z, and Mathew Knowles)

4. auditioning + creating a vocally-synced mini girl group "Pure/Honey"

5. going back to Houston with her entire family and visiting her childhood home

6. her on-tour reunion with DC5

7. footage of knee injury, surgery & rehab

8. Rumi interviewing Beyoncé + Mathew

9. Jay-Z interviewing Beyoncé

10. Inclusion or exclusion of design elements, and choosing the setlist.

11. being challenged by male experts in their respective concert fields until they realized she does her own research, etc.

While a few of these have an obvious "slot" (Blue & "My Power", the "Alien Superstar" malfunction, Cardi B/Tracee Ellis Ross footage during the "mute challenge", or Uncle Jonny & "Heated"), many have to be fit in somewhere. Figuring out the sequence of events on paper is writing. :sorry:

• Like 1

…anyway, will Migration flop? Predictions, ladies! :giraffe:

Aquaman track under 40M opening. Less then the marvels. Some analysts are saying the actuals may be around $26M. And it may perform on par with Blue Beetle. The last DCEU film going out with a whimper:deadbanana2: 11th straight bomb in a row

• Haha 2

The Color Purple just sold 1000 tickets in the Orlando mkt in the past 24 hours... It's comp for opening day now rises to $23M :deadbanana2:

1000+ daily presales usually happen on the final day, not a full 6 days out. Jesus Christ...

• Like 2

Wonka crushing pre Xmas week, another $6M for Tuesday. Will be close to $60M before the weekend, then all bets are off for the next 9-10 days. Could make $7-10M+ daily from there until the end of holidays. 

Hunger Games STILL hitting million dollar dailies, $1.2M Tuesday. This will likely be the film that suffers the least from theatre losses. Everything else is going to get destroyed by Xmas Day with the flood of new releases. 

Very impressive. 

22 hours ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

Aquaman track under 40M opening. Less then the marvels. Some analysts are saying the actuals may be around $26M. And it may perform on par with Blue Beetle. The last DCEU film going out with a whimper:deadbanana2: 11th straight bomb in a row

They way they sneaked Amber in the trailer for just 1 second in a blurry shot of her made me scream :deadbanana:

• Haha 1

• ATRL Moderator
15 hours ago, Lovett said:

Jesus. :deadbanana2:

I wish the endless string of flops finally meant the end of this trend instead of another cinematic universe reboot that no one asked for.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, supaspaz said:

I wish the endless string of flops finally meant the end of this trend instead of another cinematic universe reboot that no one asked for.

I hope they use this as a kick up the ass to make quality superhero films, both in the MCU and DC. There's room for all different types of films, but pumping out tonnes of mediocre to poor quality films just because they think it'll sell clearly won't fly anymore. Time to focus on quality.

• Like 1

did anyone ever even GAF about aquaman 2? :deadbanana2: seems like such a pointless sequel 

• Haha 1

Aquaman seems headed for about $4M previews, it has had a tiny surge for the past couple days. Xmas eve falling on the Sunday will affect opening weekend for sure, but should bounce back the next day.

Holidays will get this past $100M domestic and $300M worldwide at least. Though another massive sequel drop off. 

Edited by BNF91

3 hours ago, Scandalous said:

did anyone ever even GAF about aquaman 2? :deadbanana2: seems like such a pointless sequel 

The first one honestly got lucky it had decent reviews and was also released during Christmas when the competition was not as stiff. :deadbanana4:

• ATRL Moderator

Saltburn is showing impressive legs. Its $10 million+ gross is very good for a specialty release in this day and age, but I don’t know its budget or whether it was intended to be a more commercial play. Anyone have a sense of the expectations and whether it could be considered a minor success?

On 12/20/2023 at 11:39 AM, BNF91 said:

The Color Purple just sold 1000 tickets in the Orlando mkt in the past 24 hours... It's comp for opening day now rises to $23M :deadbanana2:

1000+ daily presales usually happen on the final day, not a full 6 days out. Jesus Christ...

Huh? Is it doing well or not?

1 hour ago, Horizon Flame said:

Huh? Is it doing well or not?

Presales are incredible. Opening day of $15-22M expected, would be in the top 10 Xmas debuts of all-time. 

On 12/17/2023 at 6:21 PM, barbiegrande said:

Do yall think Wicked will do better or worse than Wonka?

I see it doing 600m with good reviews. 

It can pull a Cats but i don't see it

• Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.