Box Office Discussion | Inside SMASH 2

Gwendolyn

1 minute ago, John Slayne said:

I used to like Marvel but they fell off hard, I think I've seen one movie and one show of theirs post-Endgame :suburban:their formula has just run so stale, I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like this judging by their recent BO numbers.

I'm here for new X-Men films though 

I think there’s still been some gems post-Endgame, but I wasn’t a fan of how many movies and television shows they were releasing. It became a chore to try and watch them all, especially when there’s other things to watch outside of the MCU.

I still haven’t seen Black Panther 2, The Eternals, She-Hulk, Loki, Hawkeye, Moon Knight or The Falcon and the Winter Soldier yet as it was becoming too damn much, but I know they’re still capable of releasing quality content as we’ve seen with WandaVision, GOTG3 and Spider-Man: No Way Home. It just feels like they were choosing quantity over quality for most of Phase Four, although I didn’t find anything to be ‘awful’ - just not as strong as we’ve come to expect. 

I’m already seeing improvements as they seem to have slowed down with how much content they’re releasing and some of the upcoming movies like Deadpool 3, Fantastic Four, Thunderbolts and Blade have me hyped. :wanda:

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BNF91

• V$.

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, The Man Who said:

I think there’s still been some gems post-Endgame, but I wasn’t a fan of how many movies and television shows they were releasing. It became a chore to try and watch them all, especially when there’s other things to watch outside of the MCU.

I still haven’t seen Black Panther 2, The Eternals, She-Hulk, Loki, Hawkeye, Moon Knight or The Falcon and the Winter Soldier yet as it was becoming too damn much, but I know they’re still capable of releasing quality content as we’ve seen with WandaVision, GOTG3 and Spider-Man: No Way Home. It just feels like they were choosing quantity over quality for most of Phase Four, although I didn’t find anything to be ‘awful’ - just not as strong as we’ve come to expect. 

I’m already seeing improvements as they seem to have slowed down with how much content they’re releasing and some of the upcoming movies like Deadpool 3, Fantastic Four, Thunderbolts and Blade have me hyped. :wanda:

the only project I'm genuinely hyped for is Blade and that's only because Mia Goth is in it 

10 hours ago, zoldyck said:

it will struggle to gross 100M domestically :deadbanana2:

yeah, quantumania level legs would put it in the low 90s. and there's reason to believe it could do worse than that (more competition, losing premium screens) so :rip: 

Oh nobody going to the theater this thanksgiving break:deadbanana:

5 hours ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

Oh that's not.

• ATRL Moderator
19 hours ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

The marketing for this movie has been nonexistent. I personally won’t be seeing it because I want to read the book first. But, yeah, it won’t surprise me if this flops. 

THG:TBoS&S has a reasonable budget so I doubt it’s going to flop but the cold critical reception definitely impacted the momentum a bit. 

They should’ve waited a bit to lift the embargo but I guess they didn’t see it coming.

HG is def not flopping. Projects were at 50-60 millions before the end of the strike and embargo. Reviews seems mixed but I still think there's an appetite for it.

Hunger Games looking to underperform as well; Thursday previews are around $5M, $39-44M weekend. Can't see it doing much more than $100-120M domestic from there. 

Budget is only $100M but Lionsgate was certainly hoping for better than this for the Hunger Games series, all of which have opened to over $100M. 

i always saw divergent numbers as the ceiling for the hunger games #0

$1.2M Thursday for The Marvels, another -31% from Wed. These daily drops are insane. It might go under $10M this weekend.

Hunger Games official previews $5.75M, bit better.

The Marvels is expecting a 90% drop this weekend in China. Lord this film might end up finishing under Birds of Prey. :rip:

The Marvels might legitimately be the biggest bomb of all time when all is said and done :rip: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a serious question, how is opening with $100m ww a “bomb” :biblionny:

1 hour ago, stjosephprey4us said:

This is a serious question, how is opening with $100m ww a “bomb” :biblionny:

If this is about Marvels then over other countless thing, the major factor is budget. The production budget alone is over 200M, second factor is trajectory of movies most comic book opens strong and show weak legs. Given all factors most people who follow boxoffice can tell this is gonna lose money

• Like 2

:redface:

I can't take the Hunger Games movie seriously tbh. Something about it feels... unserious. Like a high-budgeted CW-vibes movie, and a lot of recent movies give me these vibes tbh. Something about the actors, cinematography, and plots... I just don't get that serious effort and thinking was put into these projects.

• Like 2

Jesus Christ. These numbers are worse than even the most pessimistic forecasts. 

I am amazed that something was actually able to take the crown of biggest bomb of 2023 away from The Flash. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.