Box Office Discussion | Inside SMASH 2

Gwendolyn

The internalized homophobia in this thread :jonny5: sorry gays that your parents never bought you a Barbie.

• Haha 2

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BNF91

• V$.

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/28/2023 at 10:45 PM, Gorjesspazze9 said:

The Flash entire total run will be less then it’s budget:deadbanana4: and it’s still hasn’t made as much as Antman’s opening weekend. 3 weeks later💀

Flash wont even be able to pay the marketing costs.

--

Honestly the movie has nothing appealing to me but still the opening weekend numbers are very shocking. Nobody was expecting a 7 figure opening weekend for a typical Dreamworks movie. 

The total costs for marketing and budget each are $70M so the total is $140M. So at least the budget is not out of control. 

• Like 1

I wonder if Mission Impossible, Barbie and Opp will actually underperform more than we think. Like Fast X is kinda shocking. I assume it was guaranteed $1B just a few months ago. But anything can happen. Mario may be the biggest hit this year. Who knows

Hopefully this is the death of the reboot trend. 

Everything is bombing but there are so many factors now, the movie has to be really good to get the people buy the tickets. Sad.

11 hours ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

I wonder if Mission Impossible, Barbie and Opp will actually underperform more than we think. Like Fast X is kinda shocking. I assume it was guaranteed $1B just a few months ago. But anything can happen. Mario may be the biggest hit this year. Who knows

Barbie's pre-sales are doing great and that's coming directly from trades tracking it. Opp will probably have strong legs if WOM is strong. 

We just need to get into the habit of making cheaper movies... not EVERYTHING needs CGI.

The issue is, anything deemed "non-blockbuster" goes straight to streaming... I swear to God cinema will be dead in 15 years if this continues.

14 hours ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

Mario will remain the highest grossing film of the year, MI7 will do exactly what is expected and around Fallout numbers, Barbie will completely breakout, Oppenheimer will do decent but not smash numbers. One of the reasons why Fast X bombed as much as it did was it awful bloated budget, otherwise it would have turned a profit for the studio. A bigger issue than the budget for them is the franchise suffering from the same issue Transformers did a few years ago, the awful quality of the movies finally caught up to the box office gross and the audience is just not turning out.

18 minutes ago, mystery said:

Mario will remain the highest grossing film of the year, MI7 will do exactly what is expected and around Fallout numbers, Barbie will completely breakout, Oppenheimer will do decent but not smash numbers. One of the reasons why Fast X bombed as much as it did was it awful bloated budget, otherwise it would have turned a profit for the studio. A bigger issue than the budget for them is the franchise suffering from the same issue Transformers did a few years ago, the awful quality of the movies finally caught up to the box office gross and the audience is just not turning out.

It’s like the studios never learn with franchises that the previous installment will always affect the sequel’s performance. 

OT: I’d bet people are inflating Ruby Gilman’s marketing budget. I saw one trailer for it and had absolutely no idea it existed. It must have cost a 100th of what it cost for Barbie’s promo campaign :deadbanana: 

Somehow I still feel that Sonic 3 will outgross Sonic 2 ($405M) whenever it comes out. 

1 hour ago, mystery said:

Will MI7 break even if it does Fallout numbers? Budget is 290 million. I think it needs to do 1 billion to be considered a success?

Does anyone have projections for Hayao Miyazakis last Studio Ghibli movie coming out in a few days?

7 minutes ago, Legacy said:

Will MI7 break even if it does Fallout numbers? Budget is 290 million. I think it needs to do 1 billion to be considered a success?

Its break even point would probably be around 700m, somewhere around the x2.5 rule puts it at 725m. The franchise isn't really a domestic juggernaut so most of the money will be made overseas. For example Deadline reports that The Little Mermaid (250m budget) will hit a break even point at 560m (they discount 100m because Disney pays itself 100m to put it on Disney+). For Fast X (340m budget) the TheWrap estimated the breakeven to be 850m, which is probably more since its unfavourable domestic/international split.

When it comes to MI7 I think the studio will start to be satisfied around or above 800m, and where the studio starts making actual returns based on box office.

Something to consider about this film though is that it suffered through countless COVID shutdowns and has been through quite a tumultuous production due to it. They started filming right before COVID broke out worldwide and shut them down for months. Filming was scheduled to start January 2020, finally started around July 2020 then finished in September 2021. If it wasn't for this the budget would be much lower so I am sure this is something they will consider when looking at the box office return.

Dead Reckoning Part Two shouldn't have a similar issue I think since its production seems to be fairly smooth.

America making the right choice for once. :clap3:That open-whatever movie looks like a pretentious pseudo-intellectual snooze. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Oh wow it would kinda be iconic if it does more than Suicide Squad $133M OW. Margot enduring 28 bombs in a row to get the smash of the summer. :jonny5:

They def spent more on marketing than on the film's budget and WB has been smart to not reveal too much of the movie in its trailers to keep people guessing what's the tone and angle chosen.

If they are that confident, the movie must be really good and they might hope to get some Oscar's conversation (set design, original screenplay, maybe a supporting actor for Gosling, costumes, original song, etc.). It could that one movie that people root for because it's a commercial success (with Dune 2).

Really impressed with Barbie. I honestly thought it was going to bomb. Curious about its longevity, though, as it is going to need to make quite a bit of money to make up for such a massive ad campaign.

4 minutes ago, Sannie said:

Really impressed with Barbie. I honestly thought it was going to bomb. Curious about its longevity, though, as it is going to need to make quite a bit of money to make up for such a massive ad campaign.

Needs 300M WW. Basically less that how much It's gonna do only in the US.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Needs 300M WW. Basically less that how much It's gonna do only in the US.

You think Barbie is gonna do $300m in the US alone? That would be impressive. :worship2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.