Box Office Discussion | Inside SMASH 2

Gwendolyn

Captain Marvel wasn’t ever that popular considering the first movie was bolstered by it being between Infinity War and End Game, men (most of the Marvel audience) hate Cap Marvel, the trailer and plot didn’t capture attention and the panned Secret Invasion finale put the final nail in the coffin.

This is not surprising to anyone.

• Like 2

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BNF91

• V$.

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

what even was the last marvel movie? gotg 3?

4 minutes ago, terrorblade said:

what even was the last marvel movie? gotg 3?

Yes.

40 minutes ago, DawnAnti said:

I’m a big mcu fan but i won’t watch this movie cause it’s not interesting at all 

I literally have had zero interest either. Atp I'm just waiting for the x-men and somewhat the fantastic 4. 

28 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Okay? Captain Marvel has been in all the posters and trailers regardless. I don’t think a title change would’ve saved this. Superhero fatigue is very real. 

I think its the fatigue of Marvel trying to make everyone keep up with 30 different shows and characters, not necessarily superhero fatigue itself. If they would've stuck to a core 4 or so again, that people actually liked, it would be different.

Just now, Jaye said:

I literally have had zero interest either. Atp I'm just waiting for the x-men and somewhat the fantastic 4. 

I think its the fatigue of Marvel trying to make everyone keep up with 30 different shows and characters, not necessarily superhero fatigue itself. If they would've stuck to a core 4 or so again, that people actually liked, it would be different.

Nah, The Flash bombing as badly as it did and Shazam 2 declining so much proved that superhero’s themselves are tired atp

the current record for lowest grossing sequel to a 1B movie is Alice Through the Looking Glass ($1.01B -> $299M), seems like Marvel will easily break another record ($1.131B -> ??)

Edited by hausofdave

Good. Leave this **** in the 2010s where it belongs.

• Like 1

Captain Marvel is one of the blandest superheroes ever. Maybe if they had Mystique and Rogue in the film it wouldn’t be flopping!

• Like 1

I know yall wanna hate but this isnt good for female leg or poc led films.

Hate Disney all u want but they r one of the only majoe studios giving opportunities to poc and lgbtq talent

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Nah, The Flash bombing as badly as it did and Shazam 2 declining so much proved that superhero’s themselves are tired atp

Not the same circumstances at all.

The Flash and Shazam both belong to an extended universe that will be completely canned when Aquaman comes out next month. There’s no hardcore fan interest to see it (especially more than once) when the story was crafted to continue a bigger plot… that just won’t continue. On top of Ezra’s mess, that lead to little to no promo outside the standard cinema marketing and over sharing it as the greatest superhero of all time when it wasn’t even the best of month. Shazam was never successful and the first movie made a profit cause the budget was minimal.

DC’s big movies in recent history can be counted with one hand, and almost all belong to Batman as a sole character.

Theres no fatigue where there’s never been interest (DCEU/DCU).

The world refuses to give leading women a chance :giraffe:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

Not the same circumstances at all.

The Flash and Shazam both belong to an extended universe that will be completely canned when Aquaman comes out next month. There’s no hardcore fan interest to see it (especially more than once) when the story was crafted to continue a bigger plot… that just won’t continue. On top of Ezra’s mess, that lead to little to no promo outside the standard cinema marketing and over sharing it as the greatest superhero of all time when it wasn’t even the best of month. Shazam was never successful and the first movie made a profit cause the budget was minimal.

DC’s big movies in recent history can be counted with one hand, and almost all belong to Batman as a sole character.

Theres no fatigue where there’s never been interest (DCEU/DCU).

There is fatigue though. The DCEU was a successful franchise up until Justice League, and people had hope in it before the pandemic. Let’s not rewrite history. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

When will Marvel realize that people only want to see Avengers movies and movies related to the main characters?  All of these side characters are not interesting.  If they were, they’d be Avengers.  They’re lucky they have Dr. Strange and Wanda to continue on with, or else there would be zero interest in the overarching brand.

• Like 1

Some of y’all saying this is not shocking….

Like come on, it’s gotta be troubling that your movie is having lower interest than freaking Black Adam, especially for MCU standards. 

• Haha 2

The gap between Barbie (2023) and MCU 2023 domestically is going to be less than $50m :lakitu:, who would've thought 

Barbie: $636 million

vs.

GOTG3: $359 million

Ant-Man 3 $215 million

**The Marvels: ~$48m OW x 2.3 multiplier = $110 million (early estimate)

MCU total 2023 DOM: ~$684 million, which will only $48 million more than Barbie

They’re waiting too long to introduce X-Men and giving us characters, shows, and movies that nobody wants. I mean, even after this their focus is Fantastic Four, a group that has always been a flop.  

It’s what Marvel deserves for being stubborn. 

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, hausofdave said:

The gap between Barbie (2023) and MCU 2023 domestically is going to be less than $50m :lakitu:, who would've thought 

Barbie: $636 million

vs.

GOTG3: $359 million

Ant-Man 3 $215 million

**The Marvels: ~$48m OW x 2.3 multiplier = $110 million (early estimate)

MCU total 2023 DOM: ~$684 million, which will only $48 million more than Barbie

:clap3:deserves. Finally an unapologetic gay/feminist all pink camp IP winning 

Edited by Odette Violet

1 hour ago, Popboi. said:

Captain Marvel wasn’t ever that popular considering the first movie was bolstered by it being between Infinity War and End Game, men (most of the Marvel audience) hate Cap Marvel, the trailer and plot didn’t capture attention and the panned Secret Invasion finale put the final nail in the coffin.

This is not surprising to anyone.

The co-stars in End Game also didn't like her apparently. I remember it was claimed she got into a fued with Scarlett about her acting skills :skull:

Deadpool 3 better come out swinging or its over :wanda: 

bring wanda back damn it!

On 11/3/2023 at 2:17 PM, Gorjesspazze9 said:

4x less projections then The Marvels btw. And still a $125M budget but no hit pieces. Lmfao

No one expected Wonka to be as big as a CBM. 

I have a theory about why a lot of movies flop. If a central character revolves around a Gen Zer it is a HUGE turn off to a majority of people. But because Gen Z is the loudest and most active on social media studios have to continue to include themes that matter to them to not be cancelled. I think it’s been characterized as ‘woke’ incorrectly. The real problem is Gen Z being seen as insufferable, obnoxious, and self obsessed making most people avoid movies like the plague if they are central characters.

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.