Box Office Discussion | Inside SMASH 2

Gwendolyn

40 minutes ago, fijitears said:

You bringing up TLM which isn’t even in the same genre and category as Blue Beetle is funny. Not to mention, TLM movie still surpassed its budget and did overall good despite the racism. You can’t even say the same thing for Blue Beetle. The movie you’re rooting against (TLM) isn’t even in the same league as Blue Flop.

Now how about you be realistic for once and compare an actual superhero movie to another superhero movie. Latinos wanted Bluebeetle after watching Black Panther and y’all/they got it. Yet no one’s supporting it, why? 

I didn’t bring TLM up. It did flop. Majorly outside of the USA. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BNF91

• V$.

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Sexyzinger said:

I didn’t bring TLM up. It did flop. Majorly outside of the USA. 

Sounding like a broken record, It flopped in China and SK, which was to be expected and not the first movie to flop there (FASTFURIOUS, Flash, Elementals, etc) but did decent everywhere else, mainly Japan and the Philippines. 

Like I said, and everyone else who’s tirelessly quoting you and done doing so— It made a profit, it made $500M, and it’s a cult hit (amongst young girls). Once again, you need to worry about the Blue Beetle not even being close to breaking at least 60M over its $100M+ budget  :swim2:

Edited by fijitears
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

Everyone is tired of the usual superhero formula. WB has the advantage to start over again and release kind of cool standalone off-shoots like The Batman, & Joker, yet, they persist in going to a stale person like James Gunn to create a boring shared universe like Marvel. That time in pop culture has passed.

8 hours ago, fijitears said:

Like I said, and everyone else who’s tirelessly quoting you and done doing so— It made a profit, it made $500M, and it’s a cult hit (amongst young girls). Once again, you need to worry about the Blue Beetle not even being close to breaking at least 60M over its $100M+ budget  :swim2:

It did NOT turn a profit. It BROKE EVEN. Movies are supposed to turn a profit and most Disney remakes surpass the 1B mark. TLM barely made 567M (break even point was 560M). Aladdin, which also had a diverse cast, made 1.05 BILLIONS

TLM FLOPPED! PERIOD!

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

Also I feel like the actual super powers have to be cool. What does this guy even do. That trailer is all over the place. 

Nobody's gonna see every of the 2000 blockbusters released per week. Hollywood is in shambles with this failed business model. You're NOT Avengers Endgame, there's no reason for a 200 million dollar budget.

1 hour ago, NausAllien said:

It did NOT turn a profit. It BROKE EVEN. Movies are supposed to turn a profit and most Disney remakes surpass the 1B mark. TLM barely made 567M (break even point was 560M). Aladdin, which also had a diverse cast, made 1.05 BILLIONS

TLM FLOPPED! PERIOD!

Aladdin did not have a diverse cast. Though Will Smith was the reason why anyone piqued interest towards that movie in the first place, an African American being in one role full of South Asian and Middle Eastern descent people does not mean a cast is diverse. How delusional :rip: 

You’re also bringing up a movie that debuted before COVID. EVERY Disney remake and animated movie after COVID on average “Flopped” or “Broken even”. A movie breaking even is NOT a flop— it’s on the spectrum of a underperformance to moderate success at best, BUT your Blue Beetle movie can’t even LOOK at that spectrum. 

How TLM manage to do better than Flop Beetle, The Flash, Elementals, etc, despite its challenges is FUNNY and SAD. Instead of going back and forth with members on this board, y’all need to support the only Latino superhero movie. it’s literally what y’all begged for yet it’s DRAGGING in the DIRT. Snow Whites next 

Edited by fijitears
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

What is this narrative that I care about the Blue Beetle movie flopping :skull:

TLM is a flop too. Cope. 

• Like 2

On 8/20/2023 at 9:39 AM, Mezter said:

Not non-black Latinos throwing a fit about not having their own super hero and then not showing up when the time comes. You can't make this up :stare:

:giraffe:

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, fijitears said:

How TLM manage to do better than Flop Beetle, The Flash, Elementals, etc, despite its challenges is FUNNY and SAD. Instead of going back and forth with members on this board, y’all need to support the only Latino superhero movie. it’s literally what y’all begged for yet it’s DRAGGING in the DIRT. Snow Whites next 

Because people from South America aren't a MONOLITH and we don't give a f-ck about race politics. We only care if a movie is good or not. Blue Beetle is mediocre at best, and it's not worth watching on cinema. 

I find it ridiculous you think people should support a movie JUST because they cast someone of their ethnicity/race. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, fijitears said:

Aladdin did not have a diverse cast. Though Will Smith was the reason why anyone piqued interest towards that movie in the first place, an African American being in one role full of South Asian and Middle Eastern descent people does not mean a cast is diverse. How delusional :rip: 

You’re also bringing up a movie that debuted before COVID. EVERY Disney remake and animated movie after COVID on average “Flopped” or “Broken even”. A movie breaking even is NOT a flop— it’s on the spectrum of a underperformance to moderate success at best, BUT your Blue Beetle movie can’t even LOOK at that spectrum. 

TLM also didn't have a box office draw like Will Smith. He was the biggest draw for me and my family opening weekend. Javier Bardem and Melissa McCarthy aren't box office magnets. The comparisons to the $1b+ grossing remakes also makes less sense when you factor in their animated counterparts box office performances. TLM 1989 made less than HALF ($211m) of what all the $1b+ grossing originals made. The remake outgrossed the original, and is profitable, meaning it can't be considered a "flop" by definition alone. And it's a merchandise juggernaut.

In the film and media industry, if a film released in theatres fails to break even by a large amount, it is considered a box-office bomb (or box-office flop), thus losing money for the distributor, studio, and/or production company that invested in it.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

1 minute ago, QueenBLadyG said:

TLM also didn't have a box office draw like Will Smith. He was the biggest draw for me and my family opening weekend. Javier Bardem and Melissa McCarthy aren't box office magnets. The comparisons to the $1b+ grossing remakes also makes less sense when you factor in their animated counterparts box office performances. TLM 1989 made less than HALF ($211m) of what all the $1b+ grossing originals made. The remake outgrossed the original, and is profitable, meaning it can't be considered a "flop" by definition alone. And it's a merchandise juggernaut.

In the film and media industry, if a film released in theatres fails to break even by a large amount, it is considered a box-office bomb (or box-office flop), thus losing money for the distributor, studio, and/or production company that invested in it.

TLM was one of the biggest home video hits of ALL TIME, and jump started the Disney Renaissance. Why are you acting like the OG TLM is some cult film?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

TLM was one of the biggest home video hits of ALL TIME, and jump started the Disney Renaissance. Why are you acting like the OG TLM is some cult film?

How am I doing that when I'm stating facts? :confused: The remake HAS outgrossed it, even adjusted for inflation. It found an even bigger audience this time around.

And the remake has been HUGE on VOD and will more than likely follow suit on Disney+ and physical release. I've already preordered 2 different versions myself. 

Edited by QueenBLadyG
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, QueenBLadyG said:

How am I doing that when I'm stating facts? :confused: The remake HAS outgrossed it, even adjusted for inflation. It found an even bigger audience this time around.

And the remake has been HUGE on VOD and will more than likely follow suit on Disney+ and physical release. I've already preordered 2 different versions myself. 

TLM was budgeted to be another billion dollar Disney Renaissance remake, but FAILED to accomplish this. End of discussion. Let’s focus on Beetle.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

8 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

TLM was budgeted to be another billion dollar Disney Renaissance remake, but FAILED to accomplish this. End of discussion. Let’s focus on Beetle.

The budget ballooned due to COVID restrictions (like many others made during the time) it wasn't planned to be this high. A few people's expectations don't mean a damn thing. I don't remember Disney or anyone from the company stating a thing. But anyone expecting this movie to gross that much obviously had no insight into the box office information. Especially knowing the vitriol Halle faced going into all of it, and the actual performance of the original in comparison to the other live action remakes. The success of it all, even despite the dumbass racists who "refused" to watch but will be streaming on Disney+! :siptea:

Oh, and, not to mention, the merchandise being such a huge seller! Disney really loves their merchandise sales. A film that is profitable AND bringing in the big bucks in parks and stores?! They're happy. :lmao:

Edited by QueenBLadyG
  • Thumbs Down 3

2 hours ago, QueenBLadyG said:

The budget ballooned due to COVID restrictions (like many others made during the time) it wasn't planned to be this high. A few people's expectations don't mean a damn thing. I don't remember Disney or anyone from the company stating a thing. But anyone expecting this movie to gross that much obviously had no insight into the box office information. Especially knowing the vitriol Halle faced going into all of it, and the actual performance of the original in comparison to the other live action remakes. The success of it all, even despite the dumbass racists who "refused" to watch but will be streaming on Disney+! :siptea:

Oh, and, not to mention, the merchandise being such a huge seller! Disney really loves their merchandise sales. A film that is profitable AND bringing in the big bucks in parks and stores?! They're happy. :lmao:

Are you on Disneys payroll? You don't have to ride their dick so hard. :smiley:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Starfish said:

Are you on Disneys payroll? You don't have to ride their dick so hard. :smiley:

Yea, I'm really riding Disney's dick for not being a dimwitted hater :skull:

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

DC is DUMB, like really, really dumb.  Market testing would have shown zero interest in this movie, zero awareness around the superhero name, and zero anticipation or engagement in the topic.  To not only go against all of that potential data AND spend over $100 million on it is literal self-sabotage.  I don't blame the directors, actors, producers, etc, as it's their job to make movies.  I blame the studio for wasting their time and talents on something they KNEW would flop.  

Edited by Archetype
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, QueenBLadyG said:

I hope you're being DENSE on purpose. 

1989's TLM had a buget of 40M and it made 235M, that means it not only BROKE EVEN, but it actually TURNED A PROFIT.

And if you want to compare it to 2023's TLM, you need to ADJUST FOR INFLATION, sweetie. 235M are 733M when adjusted for inflation

So you need to go back to school and learn how to work with NUMBERS before even trying to BS me again.

And it's not profitable. Like I said, it made its budget back and that's it. The break even point was exactly what the movie made. It didn't turn a profit at the box office.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, NausAllien said:

I hope you're being DENSE on purpose. 

1989's TLM had a buget of 40M and it made 235M, that means it not only BROKE EVEN, but it actually TURNED A PROFIT.

And if you want to compare it to 2023's TLM, you need to ADJUST FOR INFLATION, sweetie. 235M are 733M when adjusted for inflation

So you need to go back to school and learn how to work with NUMBERS before even trying to BS me again.

And it's not profitable. Like I said, it made its budget back and that's it. The break even point was exactly what the movie made. It didn't turn a profit at the box office.

And so did the remake? It's literally in profit as we speak ($10m+), the amount of profit in comparison to the original isn't what I'm talking about. It's still outgrossed the original, even adjusted for inflation. Are you being willfully ignorant?

This new figure you've come up with isn't what I've got as the figures, and popped out your ass.

According to Box Office Mojo, the 1989 film earned over $211 million globally ($517 million if we adjust for inflation)

https://collider.com/the-little-mermaid-budget-breakdown/

2023 has far outgrossed this figure. Where are the receipts you have for these new figures? And if we did use your new figures, how is $25m more dollars than the figure i have going to somehow equate to the $733m figure? It doesn't. $25 dollars in 1989 is $61 today. Your "math" is VERY wrong. So, yes, it IS profitable. I'll post this again to remind YOU that no one cares what you think or feel. Any educated person knows the definition of a "flop". 

You have a weird obsession with labeling this successful film a "flop" and it's odd as hell. Talking about ME needing to go back to school when you're so miserable about the performance of this movie because your life...is BS. :ahh: 

Edited by QueenBLadyG
  • Thumbs Down 4

@QueenBLadyG both reading AND dragging the sisters in here.

:loki:

OT: I’m going to watch Blue Beetle this week. The fact that it’s bombing is a little sad. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Oh Wow, with Blue Beetle tanking this week every DC movie combine gross this year is still less then Antman Quantumania alone:deadbanana4:

Is it possible for Barbie to hit 2B? the barbiemania is still going strong  :giraffe:

5 hours ago, Lovett said:

Interstellar deserved :gaycat6:

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.