• BNF91

• V$.

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Broken said:

The title is sending me :deadbanana4:.

:rip:

The sad thing is: Morbius looks like a smash compared to the multiple flops the DCEU has released this year. It opened more than than Shazam 2, Blue Beetle, and it didn’t cost anywhere near The Flash. 

Bomb after bomb after BOMB

we need a 2 year break from superhero films (except Joker II, thats not a superhero film)

17 minutes ago, Bhabylon said:

we need a 2 year break from superhero films (except Joker II, thats not a superhero film)

There’s no upcoming break from Marvel. 

The DCEU officially dies this winter when Aquaman 2 comes out (and flops, test screen leaks have been awful), and then DC releases nothing until Superman in 2025 (excluding Joker) and tries to reboot their failed universe (Joker and Matt Reeves Batman don’t count. Those are hits) 

I thought this was Beetlejuice 2 , i was worried there ....anyway Goodluck to them

7 hours ago, NausAllien said:

It IS a flop. Studios don't make movies to break even. A profit is needed so they can invest it into making more movies.

It depends though, some movies can be justified breaking even if they're a part of a bigger plan. Marvel won't scratch their heads on Ant-Man flopping when it started setting up Kang Dynasty that could probably end up with a billion+ in profit plus tons of merchandise revenue.

7 hours ago, Popboi. said:

This isn't a sign of superhero fatigue, DCEU have always been a disaster in numbers outside Wonder Woman and Aquaman (first movies only).

Yes it is a sign of superhero fatigue. Even Marvel sequels are seeing diminishing returns with Thor 4, BP 2, Antman 3 and soon Captain Marvel 2 performing worse than their previous entry and Secret Invasion had low viewership. There’s a diminishing interest in a constant flow of comic book movies. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Yes it is a sign of superhero fatigue. Even Marvel sequels are seeing diminishing returns with Thor 4, BP 2, Antman 3 and soon Captain Marvel 2 performing worse than their previous entry and Secret Invasion had low viewership. There’s a diminishing interest in a constant flow of comic book movies. 

Thor 4 was panned to hell and back and still made a big profit and was the second biggest Thor movie, BP 2 was by no means a diminishing return and we all know why The Marvels won't be a big success :rip: Captain Marvel only crossed a billion cause it was advertised as a key film before watching End Game.

Secret Invasion had nowhere the promotion campaign other Marvel shows had, Loki Season 2 and Deadpool 3 will be the true signs if there's a winding interest or not.

The only real diminishing project was Ant-Man 3.

Edited by Popboi.

8 hours ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

‘BLUE BEETLE’ earned less money than ‘MORBIUS’ on its domestic box office opening weekend.

:redface:🤭

This will be lucky to even get 100M at the end. :redface:

• Like 1

I’m not surprised. It looked like a Spider-Man ripoff. 

If it didn’t appeal to me, I doubt Taylor Swift and other Latinos will watch it either. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Roberto said:

This will be lucky to even get 100M at the end. :redface:

Some people are saying it will end with 90M, if it legs out the same way Shazam 2 did:deadbanana4:

58 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

Thor 4 was panned to hell and back and still made a big profit and was the second biggest Thor movie, BP 2 was by no means a diminishing return and we all know why The Marvels won't be a big success :rip: Captain Marvel only crossed a billion cause it was advertised as a key film before watching End Game.

Secret Invasion had nowhere the promotion campaign other Marvel shows had, Loki Season 2 and Deadpool 3 will be the true signs if there's a winding interest or not.

The only real diminishing project was Ant-Man 3.

Okay so we’re just going to make excuses for every MCU sequel being a diminishing return lately bar Doctor Strange 2? It’s clear audiences aren’t rushing out to see CBMs like they used to. Barbie and Oppenheimer proved that people want something different. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2023 at 1:16 AM, BlueTimberwolf said:

I'm curious what the diversity breakdown for this movie will be. Latinos tend to not support Latino-led films they way Black audiences do.  They prefer GP hits.  Blue Beetle bombing is probably bad for Latino actors, but Latino animation seems to do well.  

I have never seen any minority demographic loyally support films (or TV shows or music or politicians) with people of their own demographic the way that black Americans do. Maybe white gay men for white women? Encanto did not do well because of Hispanics and Crazy Rich Asians did not well because of East Asians; they were consumed across all demographics.

Also, from reading reviews, it doesn't even seem be well-received by Hispanics. The jokes were considered cheesy and stereotypical.

this is one of the top contenders for CBMs of the year for me so its a sad that it didn't reach the audience it deserves... but hopefully it has good word of mouth and grows some legs to push it further! regardless, this movie was a+ and i hope we see more of the reyes family in the DCU films 

Edited by Eros
  • Like 1

It's weird how many wants to dismiss superhero fatigue in here :skull: Yeah, superhero movies aren't all bombing, but it's clear that the gp don't care anymore unless it's in an already established franchise.

They're still profitable, just not the same way they were 5-10 years ago for a reason.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gesamtkunstwerk said:

It's weird how many wants to dismiss superhero fatigue in here :skull: Yeah, superhero movies aren't all bombing, but it's clear that the gp don't care anymore unless it's in an already established franchise.

They're still profitable, just not the same way they were 5-10 years ago for a reason.

Maybe if they finally make the Storm movie I'll give af again.

but I stopped going to theaters to see these CBM since Dr. Strange MOM and I ONLY saw that because of how amazing Wandavision was. 

If they can give use Scarlet Witch vs Jean Grey too I'll be down. 

Outside of the FEMALE superheroes the rest of Marvel's planned film releases and DC's wont be seeing my $$ in theaters or digitally.  

The Marvels will ofc be the exception to my rule. 

22 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

you could say the same about an ant superhero

Ant man movies do pretty bad compared to canon marvel superheroes.

I like Marvel but similarly have 0 interest in antman/wasp. 

Edited by Gaia

12 hours ago, Gesamtkunstwerk said:

This just feels like a bad example to point out. Does anyone think this would of succeeded if it was released in 2019? 

OP:

Unknown IP
Unkown leads
No USP in terms of the heroes powers or the world its set in.

Welp, I hope it can serve longevity. 

I saw it because Xolo is so cute, and honestly it was a good movie and he did great. People should go see it!

Anyway, I am completely done with all the superhero movies. It had it's time and they are fading out now. 

Edited by JustHoran
  • Like 1

This is a huge flop, yikes. I hate superhero movies but i almost feel bad for dc :chick1:

If the movie is good It might have legs, tho. Elemental flopped when it debuted but its on its way to gross ~500M thanks to its quality :kitty:

With peace and love from the trailer this movie looked like it was written and designed by an AI, every single aspect seems derivative of a more iconic work.

Also, this is a tricky subject but the writing is on the wall, they mention representation way too much in the press and I think it backfired. Not every movie can rally a specific group like Black Panther did, Blue Beetle seems to not have had the same effect on Latinos, i'm afraid. And on top of that when you put all your eggs in the "representation" basket it risks turning off people outside of that group as it could send the message "oh that movie is for them, not for me" which is pretty much what happened with Bros when no straights went to go see it and the few gays that did thought it was mid.

That is obviously not the only thing this movie had going against it, Flash bombing, Superhero fatigue, no promo, no interviews, not a name brand superhero all did damage. All that to say, I feel bad for Xolo, he is so cute and I hope we get to see more of him.

Edited by TheCheshireCat

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.