Box Office Discussion | Megalopolis. Joker 2.

Gwendolyn

40 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

this feels like a year it's gonna have a big impact on hollywood.

Manwhile a pure comedy for women is making near to 1.5B and a pure 3 hours historical drama is making 900-1B. They said these genres were dead and only for Netflix now. 

People, especially outside the US market, are saying we are tired of epic scales action flicks with first act, second act, third act and boom boom boom. It's okay to have some of them (top gun and avatar) if they are big events, but one every new week?. Give us something new.

Not sure if 'Barbie' will be an indication of how 'pure comedy' especially targeting for women in general will perform at the box office in the future, when the movie has been sold to the audience mainly because of the 'Barbie' huge brand and relative massive marketing, the historical drama has definitely a more impressive and unexpected result giving the genre and restriction, but for sure it has been a breath of fresh air when it comes to box office this year, we'll see if things will really change with next releases or if they were exceptions.

The superheroes genre has became stale and overexploited since years, aside from a few exceptions, I'm glad the audience has finally started to get tired of it, I have been since long time.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BNF91

• V$.

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Inverted said:

Where did you see that? I have never heard about any buzz about this movie.

There wasn't

Marvel is also much better at marketing their movies too, obvious that DC movies will do worse
I dont understand people cheering for DC's movies to flop, when a lot of them are not even bad :deadbanana: (but ATRL is a success stans' Heaven afterall)

I have never heard of this Blue Beatles superhero. They really did dig up deep with grown ass nerds who buy comics to find this niche character and turn it into a film. No wonder it's not profitable when it's a niche character. Maybe if they tried for the past 10 years establishing this character as side character in other films so the general public was aware of their identity, it would've done better at the box office.

6 hours ago, DamianSolo said:

It's actually getting pretty great reviews, audiences are really taking to the film; it's a critical success, so far. DC Comics has one more film to release this year, Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom. Aquaman (2018), surprisingly has grossed more than any Batman film—being the highest-grossing film of any character from DC Comics. I doubt lightning will strike twice for Aquaman, but people are definitely open to films for the other heroes. Warner Bros. has just been incredibly awful with their direction.

After The Lost Kingdom, the next film film from DC and subsequent reboot won't be until 2025. :chick3:

Amber alone will probably be bad for Aquaman 2. (I’m not bringing in the whole trial and ordeal that happened I’m just saying whether you believe her or not the reality is that a majority of the GP are against her and it’s going to reflect on this film, so I don’t expect it to do good #s either). 

Aquaman 2 coming for #9 :clap3:

7 hours ago, RobynYoBank said:

Who on earth is asking for these superhero movies

I mean, there were comic fans asking for that movie, but no way it needed a +$100M budged movie :redface:

Also, in Latin America there was an ongoing meme some weeks ago that it was basically about reminding everyone EVERYWHERE about the movie, but seems like not even the memes gave it the push it needed :rip:

4 hours ago, Xtina23 said:

It is literally making 1/4 of it's budget back in 3 days.

Plus it's marketing budget appears small.

AND on top of that, it's for a superhero that the majority of the GP don't know.

It's doing just fine!

spacer.png

You’ve constantly been calling TLM a huge flop yet have the nerve to say this is doing just fine? :skull: 

Please, it tanked

-

Superhero fatigue is real 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

35 minutes ago, CaptainMusic said:

You’ve constantly been calling TLM a huge flop yet have the nerve to say this is doing just fine? :skull: 

Please, it tanked

-

Superhero fatigue is real 

TLM did flop. Also it makes no sense to compare these two films lol.

• Thumbs Down 4

40 minutes ago, Sexyzinger said:

TLM did flop. Also it makes no sense to compare these two films lol.

Both flopped/will flop globally but TLM at least did decently in the U.S, it can be seen as an underperformance overall depending how it does on Disney+

Either way, you can’t constantly say TLM flopped yet say this is doing just fine. :toofunny3: 

People love to pick and choose on here. 

• Like 1

The film is bad , the marketing is worst and i wish i didn’t spend a euro on this or the flash , i literally left from how bored and how bad that movie is

9 hours ago, LittleStarmen said:

Also superhero films thank god are over besides spiderman and batman (those two will always exist)

I....don't think so. I know there's a big to do made about the last few Marvel films not crossing the $1 billion mark but No Way Home, Multiverse of Madness, Wakanda Forever, and GotG Vol 3 all turned a hefty profit. Love and Thunder turned a respectable profit. The only flop they've had post-pandemic is Quantummania. Just because a film doesn't cross the $1 billion thresshold doesn't mean it's a flop. A film is a success if it turns a large profit and 4/6 all turned a large profit.

DC is the only one who's struggling to make successful superhero films (in their shared universe anyway; Reeves' Batman and Phillips' joker will do fine)

I think there will always be an audience for superhero films but clearly the GP is tuning out as indicated by its smaller numbers and increasingly frontloaded legs. 

2 hours ago, hausofdave said:

Todd Phillips & Matt Reeves really holding the entire franchise together huh

Honestly can't even say that the DCEU has that going for them considering those two director's films are out of the shared universe's continuity 

9 hours ago, Bears01 said:

I’m a Batman Stan through and through but I want the DCEU burned  to the ground. So many BAD movies and ruined characters 

The audience wants Batman and Batman characters, we don’t give a **** about anyone else (except maybe another actually good Wonder Woman movie) 

This. We really don't care about anything else and they need to understand that. Axe the rest and focus on expanding Reeves universe. 

Joker 2 and the next Aquaman might do well, but I don't care for them. The rest are irrelevant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Mendes said:

I....don't think so. I know there's a big to do made about the last few Marvel films not crossing the $1 billion mark but No Way Home, Multiverse of Madness, Wakanda Forever, and GotG Vol 3 all turned a hefty profit. Love and Thunder turned a respectable profit. The only flop they've had post-pandemic is Quantummania. Just because a film doesn't cross the $1 billion thresshold doesn't mean it's a flop. A film is a success if it turns a large profit and 4/6 all turned a large profit.

DC is the only one who's struggling to make successful superhero films (in their shared universe anyway; Reeves' Batman and Phillips' joker will do fine)

You’re painting a very rosy picture of the MCU at the moment. It’s starting to resemble the earlier DCEU with frontloaded movies, mediocre critical reception and apathy. The Marvels is going to be a huge decline from Captain Marvel. 

Not non-black Latinos throwing a fit about not having their own super hero and then not showing up when the time comes. You can't make this up :stare:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

The Marvels is going to flop SO hard. 

Yeah, I think it’ll make like $350 million WW. 

12 hours ago, HASHTAGPOW said:

Amber Heard is DCEU's saving grace 

tumblr_pm1bwcKLB81r13p6mo3_500.gif

Literally nobody watch Aquaman for Amber Heard lol

27 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

You’re painting a very rosy picture of the MCU at the moment. It’s starting to resemble the earlier DCEU with frontloaded movies, mediocre critical reception and apathy. The Marvels is going to be a huge decline from Captain Marvel. 

Does it really matter in the end if a movie is front loaded if it makes it’s way to profitability? I mean three of those 4 movies made over $800 million, with MoM almost getting to a billion. That’s not really a dangerous spot to be in. 

The MCU has always been front loaded. Rarely do they have a film like NWH that has consistent legs and stable drops. Spoiler heavy event films almost always frontload, that happens by nature, 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mezter said:

Not non-black Latinos throwing a fit about not having their own super hero and then not showing up when the time comes. You can't make this up :stare:

I read that the representation was very surface level and relied so much on well-established stereotypes that many Latinx people find it offensive. This might explain the lack of support.

britneyentrima4cm3.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.