Box Office Discussion | Inside SMASH 2

Gwendolyn

I really wish one day a female director manages to have the same weird cult of personality Nolan has :rip:

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BNF91

• V$.

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Oppenheimer definitely got press because of the association that got created with Barbie. Glad to see both doing well! Seeing Barbie tomo :clap3: 

30 minutes ago, Enrique523 said:

I really wish one day a female director manages to have the same weird cult of personality Nolan has :rip:

Yes, the man who has released nothing but critically acclaimed movies (2 of arguably the most well liked movies of the last 20 years in “the Dark Knight” and “Inception) for going on 25+ years now is a “cult of personality”. Nobody Stan’s him as a person, they Stan his consistently good movies 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supaspaz said:

Yes, you said that already. Then I explained to you why your analysis is ahistorical and why experts last year were trying to claim that Tom Cruise was the last old-school movie star who could still drive box office.

It is doing similar to numbers to the last one expect for China.

The last one did 220M this is projected to earn 205M the decrease is mainly driven by competition. 

The problem is the budget. 

1 hour ago, Bears01 said:

Yes, the man who has released nothing but critically acclaimed movies (2 of arguably the most well liked movies of the last 20 years in “the Dark Knight” and “Inception) for going on 25+ years now is a “cult of personality”. Nobody Stan’s him as a person, they Stan his consistently good movies 

The problem is that most of the time people have already decided his movies are masterpieces before they even saw them. I just wish to see female directors be recognized more instead of men always having the spotlight.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Enrique523 said:

The problem is that most of the time people have already decided his movies are masterpieces before they even saw them. I just wish to see female directors be recognized more instead of men always having the spotlight.

His last movie (Tenet) was all but ignored and forgotten about…..

22 minutes ago, Enrique523 said:

isn't this already Greta Gerwig who somehow managed to get a mid remake of tired Little Women (like, the 6th iteration?) to 90+ on MC. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Aristotle said:

It is doing similar to numbers to the last one expect for China.

The last one did 220M this is projected to earn 205M the decrease is mainly driven by competition. 

The problem is the budget. 

Which goes to my point that there was no halo effect from the success ofTop Gun: Maverick.

6 hours ago, Sept said:

People forget that Mattel team played a big part in the marketing as well so i doubt it's only the studio paying for it

That also means that Mattel may be taking a cut of the profit.

OT: Variety confirmed a marketing budget of $150M. That means the total cost is $295M. The film has made $151.3M for the studio so far. It’ll be the second most profitable film of the year unless Sound of Freedom is a huge hit outside of the U.S.

A cultural reset!!

Hope the studios remember to make movies aimed at women + gays from now on :coffee2:

2 hours ago, HonourableVomit said:

isn't this already Greta Gerwig who somehow managed to get a mid remake of tired Little Women (like, the 6th iteration?) to 90+ on MC. 

she made the best version of the film, perfected it and made it better than the book

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115ji7n2ix84r9jqt6w2

• Like 1

while I’m so happy this movie did so well and I plan on watching it maybe next weekend or two weekends from now, I must say tho……….I have literal Barbie fatigue :emofish: the commercials, the marketing, all the talk about it, omg lol

7 minutes ago, Breathe On Moi said:

while I’m so happy this movie did so well and I plan on watching it maybe next weekend or two weekends from now, I must say tho……….I have literal Barbie fatigue :emofish: the commercials, the marketing, all the talk about it, omg lol

oh yeah, it's overkill.

Quick question, so I saw all those reports of the budget being 145M but  wasn't it reported earlier this year that the budget was 100M? I am a little confused

10 hours ago, BlackoutZone said:

Barbie is the first movie I’ve seen in the cinema in ages and I went only because of Dua, in conclusion - Dua’s Barbie :clap3:

and I am going because of Charli's feature song, Speed Drive, hence it's Charli's Barbie to me :clap3:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Eternium said:

No. The production cost is $145M. There’s a rumor that the marketing budget was $100M, but it’s probably closer to $145M. Altogether, the film should cost around $300M, but we won’t get an official report until Deadline does their list of the most profitable films next summer.

The promo just resonated really well. They didn’t spend much more on this film’s marketing than an average blockbuster.

That’s not how movies work, sis. Theaters are businesses, too. Studios make 50% of the gross from domestic, 40% from worldwide and 30% from China. Unless they have different deals (like Disney, who takes a greater percentage from theaters.

$155M x 0.5 = $77.5M

$182M x 0.4 = $72.8M

The studio made $151.3M in the opening weekend. They’ll need to basically double these numbers to hit a profit. Keep in mind the film will do that in two more weekends and then it will have two months of its run where it just brings in profit. They’ll also get royalties from the soundtrack, DVD sales, video-on-demand sales and streaming rights sales. I’d be shocked if the movie makes anything less than a profit of $400M at this rate.

Marketing is usually the same cost as the production budget. This movie has had a huge, A-tier marketing budget, so there’s no chance they spent less than $100M on it. 

You're forgetting that Mattel is involved in this and they have a line of toys for the movie. I wouldn't be surprised if Mattel had absorbed some of the production + marketing cost.

Plus, other things such as, that big ass Barbie mansion they used for promo interviews was toured by Architectural's Digest and then they partnered with AirBnb to rent it for shoots and stuff, so the cost of that is probably covered. All the outfits the cast wore for promo stuff were most likely comped (which isn't always the case, at least not fully and is usually covered by marketing as well). And a lot of the buzz they got from influencers, which is usually paid promo, came from partnering with their brands or brands they represent. Shay Mitchell's luggage brand got a Barbie line, for instance, so she went to a lot of events for the movie and posted about it.

All in all they're gonna make a sh*t ton of money out of this movie.

1 hour ago, Eternium said:

That also means that Mattel may be taking a cut of the profit.

OT: Variety confirmed a marketing budget of $150M. That means the total cost is $295M. The film has made $151.3M for the studio so far. It’ll be the second most profitable film of the year unless Sound of Freedom is a huge hit outside of the U.S.

Mattel profits from their brand recognition as a company + the line of toys + reviving the Barbie name, which had been stomped on by Bratz in the last several years. I really don't think WB is giving them a cut of gross.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.