Box Office Discussion | Deadpool & Wolverine passes $1 Billion at Box Office

Gwendolyn

:clap3: Bravo!!!! This is how you do Children's nostalgia RIGHT!  A smash!

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BNF91

• V$.

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Saintlor said:

According to Deadline, Indiana Jones' marketing was over 100M

Not really a stretch to say Barbie's marketing cost 2-3x more than Indiana Jones

they definitely spent a ton but i think the financials here are slightly out of the ordinary because mattel essentially leveraged the movie as a brand relaunch exercise so i suspect they funded part of the marketing efforts. some of the brand partnerships were also actually licensing deals so the brands were paying mattel vs. the other way around. 

26 minutes ago, Eternium said:

No. The production cost is $145M. There’s a rumor that the marketing budget was $100M, but it’s probably closer to $145M. Altogether, the film should cost around $300M, but we won’t get an official report until Deadline does their list of the most profitable films next summer.

The promo just resonated really well. They didn’t spend much more on this film’s marketing than an average blockbuster.

That’s not how movies work, sis. Theaters are businesses, too. Studios make 50% of the gross from domestic, 40% from worldwide and 30% from China. Unless they have different deals (like Disney, who takes a greater percentage from theaters.

$155M x 0.5 = $77.5M

$182M x 0.4 = $72.8M

The studio made $151.3M in the opening weekend. They’ll need to basically double these numbers to hit a profit. Keep in mind the film will do that in two more weekends and then it will have two months of its run where it just brings in profit. They’ll also get royalties from the soundtrack, DVD sales, video-on-demand sales and streaming rights sales. I’d be shocked if the movie makes anything less than a profit of $400M at this rate.

Marketing is usually the same cost as the production budget. This movie has had a huge, A-tier marketing budget, so there’s no chance they spent less than $100M on it. 

People forget that Mattel team played a big part in the marketing as well so i doubt it's only the studio paying for it

1 hour ago, Sept said:

Atrl said Margot is box office poison jut a few months ago :ahh:

Which was always delusion :bibliahh:

the overwhelming response to this film ever since it was announced has been really interesting to watch as a film studies student. it seems like our society was really eager for something fun and girly after growing tired of the serious tones of film/tv over the last few years. i won’t be surprised if barbie is the film that ushers in a revival of 2000s kinder camp genre :WAP:

"Woke" Barbie and communist-sympathizing Oppenheimer :clap3: 

• Like 1

man-hating Barbie a commercial success :clap3:

• Thumbs Down 1

• ATRL Moderator
2 hours ago, Broken said:

RIP Mission: Impossible.

It's gonna lose money. Tom is probably fuming rn.

The utter lack of a halo effect from Top Gun: Maverick. I guess it really was the IP, not Tom, that drove that movie.

1 hour ago, Broken said:

My country (MX) omg :deadbanana2:

Spain beating every other european nation sans the UK :clap3:

2 hours ago, McNulty said:

Margot Robbie box office poison elixir :clap3:

We love her again. :clap3:

3 hours ago, bjorn said:

How and why is it historical record breaking? What record was broken may I ask? 

Barbie broke the OW attendance record in several Latin American countries 

1 hour ago, supaspaz said:

The utter lack of a halo effect from Top Gun: Maverick. I guess it really was the IP, not Tom, that drove that movie.

The GP never go to the movies en masse just to see an actor specifically. If that was the case then EVERY movie with that actor would be a massive box office hit. The GP go to the movies because they're interested in the movie itself for one reason or another, not the actors themselves.

4 hours ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

i think it doesn't. Read an article the movie won't break even until it grosses over $300M. (which is gonna happen easily).

The WW box office gross currently stands at $337M, FYI.

2 hours ago, Kylizzle said:

Oppenheimer really did that :clap3:It's impressive especially for a movie with almost no action scenes and almost all talking.

Wait WHAT?!?! You are joking rightj?? Only rapkign??

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Enrique523 said:

The GP never go to the movies en masse just to see an actor specifically. If that was the case then EVERY movie with that actor would be a massive box office hit. The GP go to the movies because they're interested in the movie itself for one reason or another, not the actors themselves.

Um, that’s how classic movie stardom worked. Actors drove the turnout. It was the model until our IP-driven era. Lots of people were falling over themselves last year to claim that Tom Cruise was the last movie star who could open a hit even though his non-MI movies have been underperforming for years.

Its shame. I just saw it and it was really great.

Um, that’s how classic movie stardom worked. Actors drove the turnout. It was the model until our IP-driven era. Lots of people were falling over themselves last year to claim that Tom Cruise was the last movie star who could open a hit even though his non-MI movies have been underperforming for years.

Has every movie ever done by Tom Cruise done 1B+ at the box office? No i don't think so, which proves my point. The GP NEVER go to the movies en masse just to see a particular actor, that's not how it works.

• ATRL Moderator
12 minutes ago, Enrique523 said:

Has every movie ever done by Tom Cruise done 1B+ at the box office? No i don't think so, which proves my point. The GP NEVER go to the movies en masse just to see a particular actor, that's not how it works.

Yes, you said that already. Then I explained to you why your analysis is ahistorical and why experts last year were trying to claim that Tom Cruise was the last old-school movie star who could still drive box office.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, queenoftheclouds said:

Oppenheimer would've flopped without Barbie that's for sure.

Tell me you don't know anything about box office or Christopher Nolan without telling me you don't know anything about box office or Christopher Nolan :ahh:

Even if it opened with $40-$50million domestic, it would still be in the clear because of its $100million budget. Tenet, despite opening at the height of the pandemic and opening the same date on streaming, managed to make $300m+.

OT: Both movies breaking records! I think Sunday holds will be better than estimated so hopefully the actuals will increase for both. Cinema really won :clap3: Let's celebrate that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, supaspaz said:

Yes, you said that already. Then I explained to you why your analysis is ahistorical and why experts last year were trying to claim that Tom Cruise was the last old-school movie star who could still drive box office.

...ok.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.