Box Office Discussion | Inside SMASH 2

Gwendolyn

Barbie and Oppenheimer are not cannibalizing each other. If anything studios are benefiting from the variety. Couples and families that wouldn’t make a trip to a theater to catch either of them and bring everybody along can split up and watch both movies. They’re gonna make a bank 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BNF91

• V$.

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

As expected, the Greta Gerwig-directed Barbie is coming out on top with $41.4M through Thursday in 51 markets.

Christopher Nolan’s Oppenheimer is also thriving with $15.9M across its first 57 markets through Thursday.

Both are breaking various records.

https://deadline.com/2023/07/barbie-oppenheimer-barbenheimer-christopher-nolan-cillian-murphy-margot-robbie-ryan-gosling-gloabl-international-box-office-1235443180/

U3nE.gif

19 minutes ago, Sept said:

Please. Before this turn of events, nobody would expect a female-led comedy to make more than $300M. 

Nolan's last movie, Dunkirk - a wartime movie with similar theme grossed $500M (Tenet doesn't count as it's during Covid). And of course the company wouldn't expect less than $300M for a movie with a $180M budget :dies:

Yes that is true, like you yourself said in the post above nobody expected Barbie to be this massive, not even its biggest backers. It was a turn of events. The thing is that Oppenheimer also wasn't set to be this big either, from all we know Barbenheimer benefited Oppenheimer quite a lot as well. When you look at it most of the online presence & marketing of the movie was that.

For Barbie it was clear that it would become huge when the campaign started to reach far with awareness for many different parts of the moviegoing audience, especially in the last month and a half leading up to the release.

Your comparison of Oppenheimer to Dunkirk also doesn't work because Dunkirk was very much a war thriller movie filled with action and bombastic sequences, that is a whole different type of audience than something like Oppenheimer which is a far more complicated and harder to approach topic. Just because they are historical films doesn't mean they share the same appeal and have the same kind of potential. It is important to note as well that the target audience for films like it isn't the one that returned to cinema as quickly as others, movies in this vein have been bombing left and right. It is carried by Nolan's name as well.

Also the information that Oppenheimer has a 180m budget is false and was mistakenly quoted in the Collider interview and has since been corrected as 100m by several trades.

Hollywood Reporter - "The $100 million movie, which Universal will release July 21, is inspired by the 721-page"
Collider (the original source of the wrong 180m budget) - "A representative for the film reached out to clarify that Nolan's original quote was misreported. The director referred to the film being 180 minutes long, not costing $180 million to make."
Variety - "In any case, “Barbie” will claim the top spot over Christopher Nolan’s atomic bomb drama “Oppenheimer,” which is aiming to collect a solid $50 million from 3,600 cinemas through Sunday. Universal is backing the R-rated historical biopic, which cost $100 million."

15 minutes ago, Enrique523 said:

Oh please, it's a Nolan movie. Also, "anti-woke" people started supporting it just to spite Barbie :rip:

Like I said Oppenheimer projections were nowhere near this before and both this and Barbie are experiencing a massive surge in part due to the online phenomenon.

The incel anti woke type of audience that you speak of that railed against Barbie and supported Oppenheimer is a small part of the entire box office community. As far as I can recall most predictions had Barbie outgrossing but neither movie being anywhere near this juggernaut size. To claim that Barbie or Oppenheimer would have been as big without the entire craze that led up to their release is wrong.

The AMAZING results that we are seeing for both movies prove this.

Edited by mystery

"Anti woke" audience would be supporting Sound of QAnon not Oppenheimer. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kylizzle said:

This, the anti woke audience wouldn't want to be anywhere near Oppenheimer's messaging & themes.

1 hour ago, Kylizzle said:

Anti-woke audiences would literally support ANYTHING out of spite, absolutely anything. Have you seen how hard they rallied around the Super Mario movie? They're just shameless :rip:

1 hour ago, mystery said:

This, the anti woke audience wouldn't want to be anywhere near Oppenheimer's messaging & themes.

Oppenheimer has a straight white male as a protagonist and has very little diversity overall. That is enough for those people, believe me.

Just now, Enrique523 said:

Anti-woke audiences would literally support ANYTHING out of spite, absolutely anything. Have you seen how hard they rallied around the Super Mario movie? They're just shameless :rip:

They're in for a rude awakening with Oppenheimer then :skull: movie doesn't give a conservative'd perspective on the atomic bomb

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kylizzle said:

They're in for a rude awakening with Oppenheimer then :skull: movie doesn't give a conservative'd perspective on the atomic bomb

Read what i posted just above your post. Conservatives care more about that than anything else. 

1 minute ago, Enrique523 said:

Oppenheimer has a straight white male as a protagonist and has very little diversity overall. That is enough for those people, believe me.

I'm sorry but the movie is literally called Oppenheimer, the title alone is a massive KEEP OUT sign for those people. Nobody with a MAGA far right political leaning would be backing this movie.

1 hour ago, mystery said:

I'm sorry but the movie is literally called Oppenheimer, the title alone is a massive KEEP OUT sign for those people. Nobody with a MAGA far right political leaning would be backing this movie.

We're going in circles here, let's agree to disagree i guess. I absolutely agree that Oppenheimer is not a conservative movie but conservatives themselves are not that smart. At the end of the day both movies are good and deserves success. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Enrique523 said:

We're going in circles here, let's agree to disagree i guess. I absolutely agree that Oppenheimer is not a conservative movie but conservatives themselves are not that smart. At the end of the day both movies are good and deserves success. 

This mega spill! :clap3:

Did the Barbenheimer double bill today. I liked Barbie, but LOVED Oppenheimer. So happy they both seem to be over-performing projections. It’s a great week for cinema 

People's obsession with aryan beauty is too much. These companies are laughing to the bank.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 7

Both of these are obliterating my god!

Crazy and historic numbers. First time ever that 2 movies have done 10M+ in previews on the same weekend. 

Edited by Blade Runner

Early Fri estimates might be over $70M.. maybe $72M. Holy s**t.

Would make $170M possible. 

Isn't there already several threads about barbies box office in the entertainment section?

Edited by JungleJuice

Quality won :clap3:

Christopher Nolan and his iconic filmography did thaT :clap3:

Over budgeted crap movies lost :clap3:

11 minutes ago, BNF91 said:

Early Fri estimates might be over $70M.. maybe $72M. Holy s**t.

Would make $170M possible. 

Absolutely massive, wow. 

For those who have seen it. Is it the the time of movie to get a sequel or is just a stand alone movie? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.