Box Office Discussion | Inside SMASH 2

Gwendolyn

Moana is definitely massive compared to Inside Out 1, but I could see Moana 2 having an uphill battle.

Given the changes (the fact it was originally supposed to be a TV show but they squished it into a movie, the fact they're making a live action soon after, and the lack of Lin Manuel Miranda's music), I could see it getting negative reviews, which may affect the younger crowds. Especially since I think IO2 will attract more solo adults than Moana 2 but I guess we'll see.

• Like 1

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BNF91

• V$.

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Tylerbv said:

Moana is definitely massive compared to Inside Out 1, but I could see Moana 2 having an uphill battle.

Given the changes (the fact it was originally supposed to be a TV show but they squished it into a movie, the fact they're making a live action soon after, and the lack of Lin Manuel Miranda's music), I could see it getting negative reviews, which may affect the younger crowds. Especially since I think IO2 will attract more solo adults than Moana 2 but I guess we'll see.

Very true, Moana 2 is seen as a cash grab (Disney+ show turned into a movie) for now unlike IO2 where people think introducing new emotions for puberty makes a lot of sense much like how Toy Story 2 and 3 were natural progressions of the Andy arc.

Moana could also be a streaming-only phenomenon, who knows. IO1 made $859M in theaters vs Moana 1's $687M.

But if Moana 2 actually turns out to be an acclaimed masterpiece then no need to worry!

• Like 1

Weekend shaking out like this

Inside out 2- $56-58M

A Quiet Place- $52-53M

Franchise best debut for A Quiet Place: Day One. A tad bit front loaded from the Friday, but should still be able to clear $150M domestic at least. Would be solid. 

Inside Out 2 will be at $465-470M today. It's still headed for $630-650M+ domestic. 

Edited by BNF91

Fastest-grossing movies to $1 billion worldwide.

1. Avengers: Endgame (5 days)

2. Avengers: Infinity War (11 days)

3. Spider-Man: No Way Home, Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12 days)

4. Jurassic World (13 days)

5. Avatar: The Way of Water (14 days)

6. Furious 7 (17 days)

7. The Fate of the Furious (18 days)

8. Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Barbie, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, Avatar, The Avengers, Inside Out 2 (19 days)

tenor.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.