Box Office Discussion | Inside SMASH 2

Gwendolyn

12 minutes ago, BNF91 said:

Presales are sluggish and did not pick up despite the release being this weekend. Industry forecasts call for a $25-35M weekend. WoM is going to be the make or break for this film. 

Let's see how the weekend shakes out. 

Are presales a big thing to films that are not fanbase-driven? 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BNF91

• V$.

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Liafen said:

Are presales a big thing to films that are not fanbase-driven? 

Depends, The Fall Guy had a really long presales window (started selling back in March!) and they have fully positioned this as the blockbuster opener of the summer movie season. I can imagine the studio had visions of a $45-50M+ opener when they first released the trailer for this way back. 

Long presales windows are usually for IP, fanbase-driven stuff. So The Fall Guy is kind of being treated a more than just an action rom-com, especially with it taking the first weekend of May slot. 

As I type this, apparently there was a nice recovery today for presales, so let's see how the weekend goes. 

This year have been serving bomb after bomb.

Unless I am wrong, I believe Bob Marley biopic, dune 2 and Godzilla are the only noticeable movies to make profit.

• Like 1

Garfield smasha!!

• Like 1

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes looks to be heading for a solid debut. An early $20M Saturday estimate brings the 2-day running total to $42M. Wknd expected to be around $55-57M. Matching War's OW would be impressive considering the franchise has been on ice for 7 years. 

Fall Guy heading for a $14-15M 2nd wknd. Fine hold but opening was low so will still be a flop. 

Challengers holding well in wknd 3, $5.5M (-35%). Should get past $50M domestic. 

I'm shocked at the Apes B cinema score. Is it really that divisive?

4 hours ago, Arcadius said:

I'm shocked at the Apes B cinema score. Is it really that divisive?

I saw it and loved it so when I looked up the cinema score, I was literally shocked. I can't even imagine why it would be divisive 

I'm surprised that Fall Guy movie flopped :deadbanana2: those trailers were amazing. 

I don't think I'll go to the theaters again until July. 

18 hours ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

I'm surprised that Fall Guy movie flopped :deadbanana2: those trailers were amazing. 

I don't think I'll go to the theaters again until July. 

happens with most big budget films without a built-in fanbase these days

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Deadpool & Wolverine is coming  :wanda:

That Marvel Reign ain't over yet!!

Deadpool & Wolverine Surpassed GOTG3, Dune 2, & Across the Spiderverse 24 hour first day pre-Sales in just 3 Hours

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/s/gt7sUZWQ7E

Edited by Gorjesspazze9

YIKES!

Save us King Jackman and King Phoenix.

The girls were 200% sure Dune 2 was going to gross $1B+ :skull:.

global-2024-hollywood-box-office-v0-muju

• Haha 1

Box office analysts say Deadpool and wolverine's pre-sales after just one day guarantee it will open at least at the Multiverse of Madness & Wakanda forever openings. 200M+ Opening is inevitable :wanda:

The way Back to Black is completely DOA :deadvision:

Posted (edited)

Yeah, Deadpool is def gonna break that all time Rated R opening record

Edited by Gorjesspazze9

On 5/20/2024 at 8:55 PM, Broken said:

YIKES!

Save us King Jackman and King Phoenix.

The girls were 200% sure Dune 2 was going to gross $1B+ :skull:.

global-2024-hollywood-box-office-v0-muju

Anyone thinking Dune 2 would gross $1B didn't know what they were talking about. There is no logic based in that prediction. 

Furiosa and Garfield square off this Memorial Day Weekend- both aiming for a 4-day holiday debut of $45-55M. 

If and Apes should have good holds to help bring up the box office, but it will still trail last year when The Little Mermaid stormed onto the scene with a $118M 4-day. 

Me and my friends are going to see Furiosa tomorrow! I hope it does solid numbers at the box office.

On 5/22/2024 at 8:32 PM, BNF91 said:

Furiosa and Garfield square off this Memorial Day Weekend- both aiming for a 4-day holiday debut of $45-55M. 

Box Office Meltdown: 'Furiosa' or 'Garfield' to Win Memorial Day With Worst No. 1 Opening in Three Decades

The bad news doesn't end there: overall revenue for the four-day holiday could hit a 25-year low.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/furiosa-box-office-garfield-worst-memorial-day-1235909084/

Bomb after bomb after bomb. Jesus :deadbanana:.

Save us Deadpool.

• Haha 1

Furiosa flopping is shocking

5 hours ago, illia said:

Furiosa flopping is shocking

i mean, it's like the prequel drop from mockingjay two to ballad of songbirds and snakes

except with the starting amount being the latter's box office. 

Those Furiosa numbers are disastrous (both domestic and international). Yikes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.