Box Office Discussion | Inside SMASH 2

Gwendolyn

I hate that Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom is flopping the way it is, but that's to be expected. The DCEU is officially dead. Wonka was pretty good, and this is on my list to be watched. Even through them stumbling, Warner Bros. still seems to win. I hope they can get their minds right for the DCU.

• Like 1

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BNF91

• V$.

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so interesting how we went full course to the 2000s where Spider-Man, Batman and Superman are the only superheroes the GP cares about + Joker as the most beloved villain. 

I can't wait for Superman's first trailer to drop, this has potential to be my favorite superhero movie ever. 

1 hour ago, Hey Dude said:

It's so interesting how we went full course to the 2000s where Spider-Man, Batman and Superman are the only superheroes the GP cares about + Joker as the most beloved villain. 

Maybe because I am not American, I don't understand inclusion of superman.

In movie space, x-men seemed bigger than superman in 2000s, and naturally it felt like GP cared about Wolverine more than Superman.

It did seems like deja vu with batman still being the anchor for DC, and we literally got Tobey's spider man about to 2000s x-men in Deadpool 3.

• Like 1

oh i just saw that the sydney sweeney romcom is a loose shakespeare adaptation, a la she's the man or 10 things i hate about you.

a hit writer all these centuries later.

Edited by fridayteenage

The color purple really went from big First day to box office bomb :rip:

8 hours ago, vale9001 said:

The color purple really went from big First day to box office bomb :rip:

Imo releasing it on a Christmas day and buying private screenings to pump the 1st day numbers backfired, it only made the somewhat bad days that followed seem much worse. Such a weird run, the total will be what, 4x Opening Day? 

But 100M$ budget doomed this from the start, even if it crawls to 100M on BO it will still lose money. There was quite few movies this year with needlessly huge budgets that bombed, hopefully it makes studios be more realistic. 

Well it wouldn't be the most frontloaded ever. Some movies that didn't make 4x opening day, with at least $10 mil opening:

Marvels - 3.9x (so far)

Twilight Breaking Dawn I - 3.9x

About Last NIght - 3.8x

All Eyez On Me - 3.5x

Dragon Ball Super Super Hero - 3.5x

Renaissance - 2.9x (so far)

(horror)

Purge - 3.8x

Paranormal Activity 4 - 3.6x

Five Nights at Freddys - 3.5x (so far)

Friday the 13th - 3.4x

Texas Chainsaw- 3.4x

Devil Inside - 3.2x

Halloween Ends - 3.1x

Scanned through the 100 biggest 2nd weekend drops.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Komet said:

Imo releasing it on a Christmas day and buying private screenings to pump the 1st day numbers backfired, it only made the somewhat bad days that followed seem much worse. Such a weird run, the total will be what, 4x Opening Day? 

But 100M$ budget doomed this from the start, even if it crawls to 100M on BO it will still lose money. There was quite few movies this year with needlessly huge budgets that bombed, hopefully it makes studios be more realistic. 

You would shrink the budget further?

On 1/3/2024 at 11:30 PM, fridayteenage said:

Well it wouldn't be the most frontloaded ever. Some movies that didn't make 4x opening day, with at least $10 mil opening:

Marvels - 3.9x (so far)

Twilight Breaking Dawn I - 3.9x

About Last NIght - 3.8x

All Eyez On Me - 3.5x

Dragon Ball Super Super Hero - 3.5x

Renaissance - 2.9x (so far)

(horror)

Purge - 3.8x

Paranormal Activity 4 - 3.6x

Five Nights at Freddys - 3.5x (so far)

Friday the 13th - 3.4x

Texas Chainsaw- 3.4x

Devil Inside - 3.2x

Halloween Ends - 3.1x

Scanned through the 100 biggest 2nd weekend drops.

I think though that the Christmas corridor is a unique time of year that usually allows for longer legs than usual due to the holidays. So I feel like comparing movies released before like ~dec 15 is a little misleading 

50 minutes ago, family.guy123 said:

I think though that the Christmas corridor is a unique time of year that usually allows for longer legs than usual due to the holidays. So I feel like comparing movies released before like ~dec 15 is a little misleading 

To be fair a few of those are November releases and that is typically also a good time as Thanksgiving normally gives movies a good boost. 

The only movie to open in over 2000 theaters, increase 2nd weekend, and drop by less than 10% 3rd weekend is Titanic.

Looks like Sydney Sweeney will do it now.

Friday-to-Friday drops yesterday:

Anyone But You 2%

Iron Claw 23%

Boys in the Boat 35%

Wonka 50%

Aquaman 54%

Migration 56%

Color Purple 69%

The Color Purple deserves better :emofish:

Wonka is a big hit.. and Aquaman isn't a total flop disaster the numbers are decent 

Sad to see The Color Purple not doing well. Not that I contributed as I haven’t watched it yet lol But I do plan on streaming it. 

$10 mil+ US for 2023 films, original screenplays not based on biographies:

animated

elemental 154

migration 78

wish 63

boy and the heron 40

teenage kraken 16

suzume 11

horror/thriller

megan 95

cocaine bear 65

talk to me 48

thanksgiving 32

comedy

no hard feelings 50

80 for brady 39

asteroid city 28

strays 24

holdovers 18

joy ride 13

bottoms 12

saltburn 11

action

the creator 40

65 32

plane 32

covenant 17

jawan 15

animal 14

drama

past lives 11

Anyone But You smashing at the box office :clap3: Sydney Sweeney in her MPG era and single-handedly reviving romcoms at the box office thanks to her star power

On 1/1/2024 at 2:44 PM, fridayteenage said:

oh i just saw that the sydney sweeney romcom is a loose shakespeare adaptation, a la she's the man or 10 things i hate about you.

a hit writer all these centuries later.

Miguel de Cervantes is fuming, no one is trying to be Don Quixote these days

7 hours ago, Sweetestsecret said:

Wonka is a big hit.. and Aquaman isn't a total flop disaster the numbers are decent 

Yeah Aquaman will finish with over $400M worldwide, a far cry from a Marvels disaster

On 1/7/2024 at 2:51 PM, SoldierofLove said:

Sad to see The Color Purple not doing well. Not that I contributed as I haven’t watched it yet lol But I do plan on streaming it

Well that's kind of the problem :rip:

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Bloodflowers. said:

Anyone But You smashing at the box office :clap3: Sydney Sweeney in her MPG era and single-handedly reviving romcoms at the box office thanks to her star power

Sydney Talent Sweeney saving a genre :clap3:

In all seriousness, I saw it and I'm rooting for feel-good, moderate-budget rom coms to make a comeback to regular theater programming. Between this, which is doing really nicely considering the small budget, and No Hard Feelings hopefully there's enough evidence for them to just stop shipping everything to Netflix directly. 

• Like 3

Anyone but you was number one on Monday

Opening day was number five. I wonder how many precedents there are for this.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.