Box Office Discussion | Inside SMASH 2

Gwendolyn

I don't recall having this many Marvel movies 10 years ago or even less in 2000s? No wonder with the streaming exploding and the heavy increasing competition is going to backfire in the box office with public being divided in their consumption. 

Edited by Aristotle

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BNF91

• V$.

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, bjorn said:

Taraji box office elixir 

she deserves that PAY RAISE 

She's great but TCP is a massive brand for African American audiences. That was the selling point. 

• Like 1

love this so much for such a stacked and talented cast :smitten2:

hope taraji + danielle + fantasia can get those oscar nominations after all

• Thanks 1

This is gonna kill Barbie award chances

best picture

best actress 

best supporting actress 

and watch this split best original song votes

Wasn't Fantasia'a season of Idol the highest rated ever too? Yes Fantasia, yes ratings. :clap3: :hippo:

I haven't watched the new film yet, but the Steven Spielberg movie with Whoopi Goldberg was incredible.

• Like 2

This warms my heart to see a black ensemble cast eat up the box office and surpass expectations commercially. So they better give my girl Taraji the pay rise she's been needing. Can't wait to see it when it premiers in the UK.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rac7d said:

This is gonna kill Barbie award chances

best picture

best actress 

best supporting actress 

and watch this split best original song votes

Barbie is still miles bigger, the only category this could maybe affect it is in Best Actress.

Fantasia could be nominated but even then Hidden Figures smashed and yet Taraji was still snubbed so that doesn’t mean she will be. Her problem is like Taraji (and Bey in Dreamgirls) she’s being overshadowed by supporting actresses and this is a really competitive year. 

Good for the cast that it’s doing well though.

• Like 1

How much does the press tours and campaigning actually help the actors land nominations?  

Could just be my algorithm due to my interest in this film but of all the potential best actress noms the person I cannot seem to escape on the promo tour is Fantasia. 

2 hours ago, CaptainMusic said:

Barbie is still miles bigger, the only category this could maybe affect it is in Best Actress.

Fantasia could be nominated but even then Hidden Figures smashed and yet Taraji was still snubbed so that doesn’t mean she will be. Her problem is like Taraji (and Bey in Dreamgirls) she’s being overshadowed by supporting actresses and this is a really competitive year. 

Whew lord, she should’ve won the Oscar for this scene alone.

19 hours ago, X~MoviePoP said:

Halle being in 2 films making over 150 mill this year is amazing.

Racists LOST

• Like 1

One of my favorite English-assignment books. A bonafide classic, and I'm happy to see it doing well in such a setting.

12 hours ago, CaptainMusic said:

Bigger what in the BO sure and that will be its reward

i dont think Margot winning anything

and since the golden globes set itself up for #goldenglobessowhite  snubbing the film the Oscar’s can heroically do right by both this and the past versions of this film and award the cast.

• Like 2

The studio bought up the tickets for “The Color Purple”. No wonder it’s dropping. 

"Warner Bros.’ The Color Purple, which has completely revived the movie musical in a God-awful marketplace, saw $7M at 3,152, -61% from Christmas Day’s $18.15M. Note that the musical’s first day gross was boosted by a group sales program that the studio executed."

https://deadline.com/2023/12/box-office-post-christmas-wonka-aquaman-2-color-purple-1235682346/

• Thumbs Down 5

the weekday drops for the color purple so far are not it. :katie: It doesn't look like it'll actually be a hit unless it really finds an audience outside of its target demo (and even then there's probably little market for it overseas so idk how it's reaching 225+ million) 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.