Box Office Discussion | Deadpool & Wolverine passes $1 Billion at Box Office

Gwendolyn

8 minutes ago, Eternium said:

4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - $845,555,777

9. Elemental - $495,851,987

10. Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania -  $476,071,180

They also have the 14th, 25th, 38th, 61st and 83rd most successful films of the year so far. #83 is just a Toy Story re-release. Disney is still smashing, just not as hard as they used to.

Disney hasn’t reported positive operating income in its “Content Sales/Licensing and Other” business unit, which includes theatrical, since the quarter that ended April 2, 2022.

Throw all them numbers you want, they are flopping 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BNF91

• V$.

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Raver said:

They’re overspending, not flopping. You’re confusing two terms here. 

They definitely need to reel in their spending, cut down on some projects and greatly reduce their output. It’s what worked for them after the 2000s were so terrible and it will work again.

7 minutes ago, Eternium said:

They’re overspending, not flopping. You’re confusing two terms here. 

That would be you not me. Not taking your opinion over their word. Byeeee  

The Marvels deserves to have the money Antman made. At least the actors in Marvels look like they were actually on the same set together!

Just back from seeing HG, the it was packed 

The movie is way too long, but the script wasn't bad

Rachel acting and lack of charisma though :rip:, she has no chemistry with the guy either

snow white next year :rip:

Why Viola acting feels like parody now, something changed after the Michelle Obama fiasco 

1 hour ago, Eternium said:

They also have the 14th, 25th, 38th, 61st and 83rd most successful films of the year so far. #83 is just a Toy Story re-release. Disney is still smashing, just not as hard as they used to.

Those last two movies were not hits :skull:

Disney is not spending $200M+ (without marketing costs) just to gross $400M-500M.

• Like 1

Not really. Ditch the ugly new style 3D animation and live action remakes and revert back to producing simple animated classics :heart2:

I adore the Lilo & Stitch movies and TV series for example but I'll be giving the live action remake a hard pass.

Edited by Gelato

its what they deserve after releasing so many useless remakes. We've experienced their quality nosedive since their 2000s disney-pixar classics

2 hours ago, Eternium said:

Bruh you know that the only Disney film that made a profit this year is GOTG3? The other 2 on your list did not make a profit cus they have huge budget and advertising campaign.

the other 2 big titles they released this year: Indy 5 and cpt marvel 2, as well as Wish, are all huge bombs. 

in fact cpt. marvel 2 is on track to become the biggest bomb of all time.

Edited by Kasix

Wish and Napoleon both did worse than I expected. I was expecting an underperformance for Wish but not to this degree. As for Napoleon, the YT trailer became highly popular but it is no secret and YT trailer popularity is not a great indicator of box office run. 

This is sad cause I thought Wish was really good. I loved the art style and the music was great imo. For me it was one of the better Disney films we've gotten in years. 

The 2020s are truly the reverse 2010s experience for Disney. :gaycat6:

On paper, Barbie and Mario (the biggest hits of the year) are literally cash grab projects greenlit by "corporate greed" designed to revitalize toy and video game sales through nostalgia. What is the difference between that and Disney's 2010s era?

They are also "woke" (Barbie is feminist and has POC and trans representation while Mario had Peach go from passive damsel in distress to action-oriented girl boss).

Maybe it really is just genuinely mediocre content or at least a lack of novelty/freshness from Disney.

But the biggest hurdle is still the audience waiting for Disney/Pixar movies to hit Disney+ instead. Their movies like Encanto smashing on streaming and TikTok instead of the theaters reinforced this habit. The TikTok generation just aren't begging their parents to take them to theaters anymore when all they need is Cocomelon on their tablets or something. There has to be a physical and concrete gimmick to drive these kids to theaters (Going in suits to watch Minions 2, Barbenheimer double feature with friends dressed up in black/pink, Avatar 2's 3D experience that can't be replicated at home, etc.)

I honestly don't think any original Disney/Pixar movie in the future will be able to buck the downward trend unless it has some sort of gimmick/virality. That's why all the sequels were greenlit asap even though they will all decline for sure. Not just because of Disney+ but because it's just the natural trajectory. Shrek 3 declined from Shrek 2, Despicable Me 3 declined from Despicable Me 2, etc. Toy Story was the exception because everyone was perched for what will happen when Andy grows up and leaves for college like they feared in 1 and 2. So unless they come up with an interesting and good plot for Frozen 3, 4, Toy Story 5, etc. it's gonna be a decline. There's also not much nostalgia for 2010s movies yet unlike the huge gaps and long wait for the Incredibles and Nemo sequels. But I guess declines are still way better than complete bombs. :gaycat6:

• Like 6

Yeah, kids are destroying their attention span because of social media like tiktok and various youtubers. I see parents online say their kids are barely able to sit through movies nowadays because they want to be on their tablets, so they don't bother with movie theatres anymore. 

We see it in music too (2 minute tracks), and video games (people demanding GTA 6 and more Sims 4 dlc non stop) and the massive decline in academic performance nationwide. 

I feel in time we will see movies get shorter like they used to be, because kids don't want to watch a 2 hour movie when they can watch a bazillion clips instead on tiktok. And more simple storylines because dumb plot = more room for meme worthy moments. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hey Dude said:

Yeah, kids are destroying their attention span because of social media like tiktok and various youtubers. I see parents online say their kids are barely able to sit through movies nowadays because they want to be on their tablets, so they don't bother with movie theatres anymore. 

We see it in music too (2 minute tracks), and video games (people demanding GTA 6 and more Sims 4 dlc non stop) and the massive decline in academic performance nationwide. 

I feel in time we will see movies get shorter like they used to be, because kids don't want to watch a 2 hour movie when they can watch a bazillion clips instead on tiktok. And more simple storylines because dumb plot = more room for meme worthy moments. 

And to add to this

I just realized that bringing kids to the theaters and in public in general is kind of a hassle too :priceless: Then imagine OTHER people's kids also being super loud and obnoxious in theaters

Not to mention the whole family has to eat at some restaurant afterwards, on top of popcorn and drinks, in this post-Covid world and economy it's just not worth it anymore

Disney+ and other streaming services at home are just preferred now, and those things cost too, moviegoing is truly a luxury now

More and more kids are growing up without even knowing the experience of theaters, only streaming (especially during the lockdowns, during these kids' formative years)

Wish is already sub $1M on its very first Monday ($745k) :deadbanana4: 

This is D.O.A.

Won't even benefit from holidays in a few weeks. 

Any idea how Taylor's and Beyonce's movies have a budget of $10M-20M? Legally Blonde (2001) costed 18M dollars, that's not taking in account the inflation but still. 

All what had to be paid was the camera, some good effects and perhaps some speakers, everything else was a part of the tour.

35 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

Any idea how Taylor's and Beyonce's movies have a budget of $10M-20M? Legally Blonde (2001) costed 18M dollars, that's not taking in account the inflation but still. 

All what had to be paid was the camera, some good effects and perhaps some speakers, everything else was a part of the tour.

You have to pay every dancer , all the technicians etc..

Also they will have to pay other songwriters of those songs. For Taylor will be bit cheaper than Beyoncé as she has atleast 33% of credit of all song she wrote

Edited by FolkLover1989

Just now, FolkLover1989 said:

You have to pay every dancer , all the technicians etc..

Also they will have to pay other songwriters of those songs. For Taylor will be bit cheaper than Beyoncé as she has atleast 33% of credit of all song she wrote

The dancers were already paid in tour but they will need a new check for being in the movie I guess, is what you mean?

1 minute ago, Aristotle said:

The dancers were already paid in tour but they will need a new check for being in the movie I guess, is what you mean?

Yeah everyone has to be paid

I'm sad to see Wish doing so bad. I just came from watching it tonight. And I mean, it wasn't packed - not even close. But, the movie is solid and I actually really liked it. It deserves better. 

On 11/27/2023 at 4:37 PM, Hey Dude said:

I kinda agree. I took my 5 year old brother to the movies and he jumped on his iPad after 10 minutes :deadbanana2: even at home he can only focus on a movie or show for a bit before turning the channel to YouTube or another show. Lmfao

Edited by Gorjesspazze9
  • Like 1

wish is a flop flop. Quanta-mania looks good compared to these recent massive flops. And that was a huge flop. It made like 500k today . How much of it is Julia Michaels’ fault?

Edited by family.guy123

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.