Box Office Discussion | Deadpool & Wolverine passes $1 Billion at Box Office

Gwendolyn

Calling KoTFM a flop is delulu.

It's neither a flop or a hit. It's a very strong start, especially considering 1) the lenght 2) the impossibility of promoting it due to the strike. It's also in the top for a Scorcese movie, so really some delusional here is not helping lol

Doing above expectations and at 23 M$ is solid. I'm pretty sure this will have a x3 or x4 multiplier as the next 2 months slate is pretty empty for adult movies, and this should play well in counter programming against Marvels, Hunger Games, etc.

On side note, Apple doesn't care at all if this makes money or not on theatrical run. They got a smash in critic, powerhouse award contender (probably strong win for Actress and Editing, and lots of noms), and have done better with this wide opening than let's say Amazon with Air or other recent streamer's releases (except maybe Knives Out 2 but it was such a limited realease that it's difficult to compare).

• Like 2

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BNF91

• V$.

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

Eras actual came $2m higher

A big win.

It would finish around $160m in US

Excellent total

The Marvels review embargo not lifting until day before its release. Disney really left this movie out to fight for itself. :deadbanana4:

Lol Flower Moon is a $200M produced film.. go argue with the clouds. IDC about the subject matter or the fact that it's also a streaming film. 

It's a bad result objectively. Absolutely no studio is spending $200M on a movie to get a $23M debut in theatres. 

Find reality. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BNF91 said:

Lol Flower Moon is a $200M produced film.. go argue with the clouds. IDC about the subject matter or the fact that it's also a streaming film. 

It's a bad result objectively. Absolutely no studio is spending $200M on a movie to get a $23M debut in theatres. 

Find reality. 

Thank you, people giving it so many excuses when other $200M films have been destroyed after grossing more.

• Like 4

Film bros and cinephiles defending that Scorsese movie even tho other films with a $200M budget and even bigger openings get labeled as a flop:dies: nah. yall gotta hold this L. 

The reason KOTFM has a 200M price tag is because it's a streaming film. The lack of residuals/backends and such is factored into the budgets. Just as an example, No Hard Feelings was pitched to streamers with a budget in the 70Ms, but had a 45M budget when it ended up as a traditional production.

The only reason films like Killers, Napoleon, and even Glass Onion got or will get any sort of robust theatrical release was/is to appease the filmmakers behind them. The creators wanted audiences to have the chance to experience their films theatrically, so the streamers did just that. Streamers don't spend xyz to make [insert amount] at the box office. They spend money to have content on their platforms and to give their brands prestige through awards runs (in reference specifically to KOTFM). The alternative is to dump the film on their platforms without a theatrical release and make no money at all. Literally just lighting money of fire. 

Imo, it's impossible to plainly compare the BO runs of streaming films that have a theatrical release and traditionally produced films. The economics are too dissimilar. As long as they have solid runs in comparison to other films of the same genre, that's fine. :michael:

Edited by EnigmaticAndroid
  • Thanks 3

https://deadline.com/2023/10/the-hunger-games-the-ballad-of-songbirds-and-snakes-box-office-1235583987/

The Hunger Games prequel is currently tracking (according to Deadline) at a $50 million opening. The budget is confirmed at $100 million and the embargo lifts 10 days before being released. 

On 10/26/2023 at 1:06 AM, EnigmaticAndroid said:

The reason KOTFM has a 200M price tag is because it's a streaming film. The lack of residuals/backends and such is factored into the budgets. Just as an example, No Hard Feelings was pitched to streamers with a budget in the 70Ms, but had a 45M budget when it ended up as a traditional production.

The only reason films like Killers, Napoleon, and even Glass Onion got or will get any sort of robust theatrical release was/is to appease the filmmakers behind them. The creators wanted audiences to have the chance to experience their films theatrically, so the streamers did just that. Streamers don't spend xyz to make [insert amount] at the box office. They spend money to have content on their platforms and to give their brands prestige through awards runs (in reference specifically to KOTFM). The alternative is to dump the film on their platforms without a theatrical release and make no money at all. Literally just lighting money of fire. 

Imo, it's impossible to plainly compare the BO runs of streaming films that have a theatrical release and traditionally produced films. The economics are too dissimilar. As long as they have solid runs in comparison to other films of the same genre, that's fine. :michael:

Thank you. 

• Like 1

And let it be known that I think the movie looks like garbage and have no intention of ever seeing it. I’m in no way a film bro. I try to avoid male led movies. 

• Thumbs Down 1

On 10/26/2023 at 12:06 AM, EnigmaticAndroid said:

The reason KOTFM has a 200M price tag is because it's a streaming film.

i mean, the studios threw money at him for the Serious dramas and then they eventually got tired of losing money on them.

The Irishman wasn't supposed to be streaming, but Scorsese wanted to up the budget from $105 to $125 mil and the original studio said NO. Then it went up a bunch more after Netflix got it.

Hugo cost at least $150 million and it didn't even make $200 million. 

I’m really surprised that FNAF is opening so high and so hard. Like that’s impressive (esp with the reviews and what I felt like was like a lack of hype - I’ve seen the trailer only once in theatre and I go every week). 

Happy for FNAF #s! 

Just watched the movie and i really enjoyed it. Took me way back to 2015 when i was addicted to the game and its lore lol

Theather was stacked with teens/kids wearing cosplays too. Now i kinda want a Walte Files movie :lakitu:

• Like 1

Im shocked it did these numbers with a Peacock release. Teens/young adults still like going to the movies, they just don’t wanna watch boring millennial and Gen X IP from the 80s and 90s

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 10/25/2023 at 6:08 PM, BNF91 said:

Find reality. 

Apple is. Netflix has done it many times. It's delusional to think that Apple was expecting it to break even in cinemas 

now both katniss and peeta have a $70 mil+ domestic weekend outside of panem.

(apocalypse & five nights)

• ATRL Moderator
On 10/29/2023 at 8:33 AM, Dephira said:

Apple is. Netflix has done it many times. It's delusional to think that Apple was expecting it to break even in cinemas 

They don’t understand the industry.

the only scorsese ever to get both 80 metascore and $80 mil US is The Departed

this will continue to be true. and would have been true regardless of the studio

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.