Box Office Discussion | Deadpool & Wolverine passes $1 Billion at Box Office

Gwendolyn

3 hours ago, Enrique523 said:

I'm LIVING for the success of Barbie and how it completely destroyed the "go woke go broke" propaganda the right has been trying to push for so long :bibliahh:

i mean movies like captain marvel, black panther and so many others i probably forget about right now already made. 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BNF91

• V$.

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Popboi. said:

So… how likely is 1.5 billion and 700 million looking for Barbie and Oppenheimer :lakitu:

I would say $700M is perhaps locked for Oppenheimer, we'll see how far Barbie goes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

So… how likely is 1.5 billion and 700 million looking for Barbie and Oppenheimer :lakitu:

for the second more. Can touch 800M maybe.  There are bigg countries where it has not been released yet like Italy where can make 20M + South Korea, China, Greece etc..

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

i mean movies like captain marvel, black panther and so many others i probably forget about right now already made. 

Oh i know, it's just that another "woke" successful movie is just more nails in the coffin.

Barbie is the "wokest" 1B movie and probably even the wokest to push $500M unless I'm missing something. 

15 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

700 is locked. 800 is probably likely depending on how it does in China.

45 minutes ago, Dephira said:

The movie is a smashing success and definitely not just because of the marketing :rip: plenty of other movies with the same marketing budget such as Indiana Jones and Flash flopped to the high heavens this year. Plus it has been holding amazingly well week to week, which shows that it’s a real cultural phenomenon (all the while actors aren’t even allowed to promote it while on strike), and has great word of mouth. People really need to let the marketing narrative go

People claiming that it's successful "because of marketing" have no clue about the state of the blockbuster market. Huge films with way bigger budgets are flopping left and right. 

The weekend drops are a huge indicator this movie is being driven by word of mouth, which means that people are enjoying it.

Is it huge IP? Yes. Was there promo campaign? Yes. Did the stars do their job promoting it? Yes (Up until the strike) But none of that really matters if the movie isn't actually good and is offering something different than the rest of the market.

• Thanks 4

Queen Margot deserves this, justice for Babylon and Birds of Prey so happy she got success with a beautiful movie and producer credits she really believed and succeeded!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

The way i see haters here worshipping it when a month ago they claimed it will flop :WAP: success stans all over :giraffe:

Margo and Ryan are the moment!!! 

Right? I remember a certain fanbase in particular wishing for it to flop because Margot being successful was a threat to them :rip:

Well Margot WON. Haters LOST. Yes Margot, yes box office success :hippo:

1 hour ago, Saintlor said:

How is this a great achievement? It had the biggest marketing campaign of recent years and was pushed everywhere on social media

Basically the movie equivalent from a song charting well from Spotify autoplay and radio payola 

How many movies are crossing $1.4B? :rip:

This could even end up in top 10 of the highest grossing movies of all time.

Charli XCX Barbie did that!
hypnodemiluv

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dephira said:

The movie is a smashing success and definitely not just because of the marketing :rip: plenty of other movies with the same marketing budget such as Indiana Jones and Flash flopped to the high heavens this year. Plus it has been holding amazingly well week to week, which shows that it’s a real cultural phenomenon (all the while actors aren’t even allowed to promote it while on strike), and has great word of mouth. People really need to let the marketing narrative go

THANK YOU. People who actually believe marketing alone can turn a movie into a smash have NO IDEA what they're talking about :toofunny3:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saintlor said:

How is this a great achievement? It had the biggest marketing campaign of recent years and was pushed everywhere on social media

Basically the movie equivalent from a song charting well from Spotify autoplay and radio payola 

Any movie grossing a billion is a massive accomplishment, unless it’s like an avengers or Star Wars movie (which is the bare minimum for those kinds of films)

1 hour ago, Dephira said:

Exactly!

giphy.webp

2 hours ago, Kylizzle said:

Barbie is the "wokest" 1B movie and probably even the wokest to push $500M unless I'm missing something. 

Oh it absolutely is. Right wingers call ANY movie with a female/minority lead and characters "woke" even if the movies themselves aren't political in any way. But this movie is definitively very "woke" in a political way, which makes the whole thing even worse for them :hippo:

1 hour ago, Kylizzle said:

i mean, its two main actors and writers/director are still straight whites as far as I know.

People get angrier at the success of POC excellence...

Little Mermaid's imdb rating had to have its algorithm overhauled to give it a fair rating as a 1 is still by far the most popular rating given.

Barbie's most popular ratings are 8, 10, 7, and 9; both its actual average and weighted average are in the 7s.

Anyway, hope Elemental can snatch back some of the theaters being wasted on Haunted Mansion. :eddie:

Edited by fridayteenage

1 Billion :jonnycat:

That was fast, coming for biggest movie of 2023 :clap3:

Margot & Ryan won

Dua, Billie, Nicki / Ice won 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

i mean, its two main actors and writers/director are still straight whites as far as I know.

People get angrier at the success of POC excellence...

Little Mermaid's imdb rating had to have its algorithm overhauled to give it a fair rating as a 1 is still by far the most popular rating given.

Barbie's most popular ratings are 8, 10, 7, and 9; both its actual average and weighted average are in the 7s.

Anyway, hope Elemental can snatch back some of the theaters being wasted on Haunted Mansion. :eddie:

Yeah but the film is directly about feminism rather than being a vague allegory which makes it the most direct. It is still white feminism the movie but that's tea for another day.

• Thanks 1

well the people who unironically use woke in the sense of being angry about it hate POC succeeding way more than they hate straight white women.

• Thanks 1

It's the fastest not sequel-remake to get 1B with Avatar. Both in 17 days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.