Box Office Discussion | Deadpool & Wolverine passes $1 Billion at Box Office

Gwendolyn

12 minutes ago, swissman said:

Perhaps you missed the part giving context about how this is not a "Friday for any normal movie", it is a Friday that has historically had very low box office earnings, which is why this film has broken the record for this weekend.

Yeah, because studio notoriously do not release big movies the week after Thanksgiving 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BNF91

• V$.

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

This is such great news.  A celebration of quality and excellence. I can’t wait to watch it 

17 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

Yeah, because studio notoriously do not release big movies the week after Thanksgiving 

Are you saying it's a cycle that perpetuates the truth of this fact? If so, I agree, but think that it doesn't really change the fact that everyone had at some point decided/realized (presumably based on statistics) that films aren't making as much as they could this week vs. another, and thus are avoid releasing their important films at this time so that they can maximize success.

I would assume that they didn't come up with this standard once and then never check back on the attendance ever again to see if people changed their habits.

Perhaps Beyoncé breaking the record with an under promoted film might change the way they look at this weekend, and if so, that's just more power to her. I think what is relevant here is that Beyoncé is clearly unbothered by the standards of the industry. She could have better set it up for success both in promo and time of release, but instead she did as she wished.

Edited by swissman

23 minutes ago, swissman said:

Are you saying it's a cycle that perpetuates the truth of this fact? If so, I agree, but think that it doesn't really change the fact that everyone had at some point decided/realized (presumably based on statistics) that films aren't making as much as they could this week vs. another, and thus are avoid releasing their important films at this time so that they can maximize success.

I would assume that they didn't come up with this standard once and then never check back on the attendance ever again to see if people changed their habits.

Perhaps Beyoncé breaking the record with an under promoted film might change the way they look at this weekend, and if so, that's just more power to her. I think what is relevant here is that Beyoncé is clearly unbothered by the standards of the industry. She could have better set it up for success both in promo and time of release, but instead she did as she wished.

Especially since it boosted the weekend box office to be higher than comparably  pre pandemic levels.

OT: Let's go Bey. Let's get it to 30M. I'll be watching tonight.  Hopefully they'll be scenes from the East Rutherford show I went to.

1 hour ago, Aramis said:

So... it's doing good? I have to wait til December 21 :gaycat6:

Yep.  It’s the third biggest opening day for a concert film. 

50 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

And because they have a reason to not do so? 

35 minutes ago, swissman said:

BIg movies aren't released this week because they either want to benefit from Thanksgiving boost or wait for Christmas. There's nothing particularly "weak" bout this week in itself compared to most of the year.

THEY BOUT TO INFILTRATE. LOCK THE DOORS. SHUTDOWN THE STREETS 

• Haha 1

Hasbeyn career keeps getting bigger and bigger with every new era wow. Not many artists have that to their credits. :clap3:

2 hours ago, GreenEnvy said:

BIg movies aren't released this week because they either want to benefit from Thanksgiving boost or wait for Christmas. There's nothing particularly "weak" bout this week in itself compared to most of the year.

We're saying the same thing though.

If one week traditionally boosts box office sales and the following week does not, logically the following week would be considered a "weaker" time to release films. I didn't even use the word "weak" in my post (which is in quotations in your's) but basically stated what you've said: "[studios] at some point ... realized ... films aren't making as much as they could this week vs. another".

If this week is deemed to be as strong for ticket sales as any other non-holiday week though, I'd think that more big films would take the opportunity to stand out, but they don't seem to. I can only assume studios who not only monitor ticket sales but audience attendance habits and preferences have realized that if people have time off to go to the movies with their family and friends during one week, they are likely neither eager nor needing to go right back the following weekend, resulting, it seems in a "weaker" baseline interest by the public, thus a "weaker" potential earnings cap.

Edited by swissman

I need Monster to be released nationwide :giraffe:

$11.5M opening day (including $5M previews) for Renaissance. Projected for a $20-25M debut.

Not too shabby at all. Should be in the top 5/10 of the biggest concert film debuts ever. 

Edited by BNF91

Apparently it's a dull period avoided by all studios. Proud of her. An excerpt from a movie's expert below

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Arcadius said:

4th biggest concert film over 20 years into her career is impressive! :clap3:

*5th I always forget This is It.

The box office this year is horrible :rip:

On 11/29/2023 at 12:48 PM, FolkLover1989 said:

You have to pay every dancer , all the technicians etc..

Also they will have to pay other songwriters of those songs. For Taylor will be bit cheaper than Beyoncé as she has atleast 33% of credit of all song she wrote

Taylor also has to pay a director their cut and a whole other production company (Silent House)... so it will all equal out in the end. :mandown: 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 2:02 AM, Gorjesspazze9 said:

The box office this year is horrible :rip:

Margot Robbie CARRIED :clap3:

And ATRL was calling her box office poison...

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.